Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking the next step

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
    There's an M in front of the any in my post. I don't think they take many risks.

No need to twist what I clearly typed.
    I apologize for twisting what you typed. Your implication came through pretty clear. If I'm wrong, please correct me. Are you suggesting we take more risks? I don't know how slippery that slope is.

I want to win just as much as anyone. I am usually in the camp of taking the best player no matter what. However, we have to be cognizant of what that means in some cases and what that can do to a program. I don't want to be Baylor.

I think we recruit the best kids we can possibly get. I think the expectations are pretty clear as far as what the coaching staff and athletic department expect.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Maybe its my age, but I think things are going okay. Could they be better sure? A TCU upset would have others fearing the rabbit, but that did not happen. I think we got beat by a very good Cal Poly team.
      If OK is what you want, well, I would say that is what we have.
      Its not what I want.

The clowns north of the border have proven it's possible to do and be more.
      What's our excuse?

Comment

Its not what I want.

What's our excuse?
        Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am open to changing my mind that we are one of the best programs in the country. Make your case.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

More risks, yes. All risks, no.

I think we recruit the best kids. I'm not sure we recruit the best players. I suspect we're recruiting the best players who fit the mold.
          And I just think 8-3 is what we get, instead of 10-1.

Look I might be all wrong. I'd like to know what 10-1 feels like before i decide.

PS I'm making tri tip beef sandwiches with a chili lime rub tomorrow and you guys are all invited over to The Laughin Place to try them

Comment

This thread is titled taking the next step.
            To me that means putting a huge gaudy ring on Stig's finger.
            He doesn't have one and that is my case.

Comment

Its not what I want.

What's our excuse?
              The clowns north of the boarder have been significantly better than our program for quite some time. That's an unfortunate fact that I despise most likely more than most. I don't feel like we used to be as upset about it, so what changed? Is it possible that our program has finally progressed to the point that we are in a position to actually see ourselves being able to be on par with them? I honestly think this is the case. Fans used to be happy when we were in the discussion for being ranked in the top 25 (ala USeD now). Then it was making the playoffs. Then it was a win in the playoffs. We're finally in a similar stratosphere as the school up north, so we can finally make comparisons with them. The success of the program happened, and the fans expectations followed behind. Now that we are consistently in the playoffs but haven't progressed last the second round over a couple years, our fans expectations have kept going up. Which is good. That's what is needed. But you don't just go from having the some of the worst facilities in the country, and no conference titles for fourth years, and one playoff appearance, and poof yourself to the same level as what the school up north is on right now. It's been a process, it will be a process still, but we have made incredible strides. In the last four years we've made the playoffs 4 times more than in the history of our program, and actually won some games there. I'm not saying be satisfied with it, but don't be throwing a fit just yet. We JUST NOW got facilities that are competitive. It's going to take a couple years to really see the effect on recruits and talent level. So the question of the coaching staff is really on the shelf for me for at least a year or two to see what they can do with new tools. What we can do to take the next step is focusing on what we can do to build the fanbase. If you expect the team to go on a run like NDSU to be able to build a fanbase, you're insane. What they are doing has never been done. Anywhere. Ever. In the history of collegiate football. We do need to win the big home games with big crowds. But to expect a run like NDSU has gone on ever is insanity. To expect a national championship and multiple appearances, is not. That's reasonable. That's what the standard should be. This season isn't out of the question yet. I personally am taking a step back from my disappointment and am going to let the team prove to me where they are at in conference play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

No one is throwing a fit. I agree with your assessment Thumper.
                Five championships is not reasonable. One is certainly reasonable.
                We must keep taking steps. And losing at home has to stop. Period.

Comment

didn't NDSU lose at home last year?
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

No one is throwing a fit. I agree with your assessment Thumper.
                    Five championships is not reasonable. One is certainly reasonable.
                    We must keep taking steps. And losing at home has to stop. Period.
                    Or stop laying eggs at really important times. Ie, last year at Western Illinois, or the first half at Montana in the playoffs (that first half debacle cost us that game), or a couple years ago at Misery State, or the way we got our asses handed to us by NDSU at home last year (not saying we should have won, but we didn't even compete). You can come up with one or two examples EVERY YEAR. That's the **** I get tired of seeing. Those eggs really cost us. With a win at Western last year we almost certainly get a seed. We host a second round playoff game. That'd go a long way in expanding our fan base and growing SDSU football. Until we figure out how to stop that kind of stuff it's going to be tough to really take the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      didn't NDSU lose at home last year?
                      Indeed they did. They can afford to lose at home apparently. I don't think we can.

Comment

I will never ever get over the (First) loss at Montana
                        Last edited by BrerRabbit; 09-30-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I will never ever get over the loss at Montana
                          Which one? the last one or that one that should never be mentioned again. Remember how people thought that loss was going to set us back 100 years again?
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Talking about the first Montana game is against board rules. Tread lightly....

Comment

Which one ??
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I think we recruit the best kids. I'm not sure we recruit the best players. I suspect we're recruiting the best players who fit the mold.
                                We have a winner. I don't care about team GPAs....not one bit. I'd be tickled pink to win with a bunch of kids of who don't do well in school. I do not, however, wish to win with kids of questionable character. Example: Johnny doesn't do well in school, but he's a great kid. He'll bring down the team GPA significantly, but we can get him into school and he'll be at church every Sunday. IMO, sign Johnny up. I'm not convinced that he gets an offer from our current coaching staff.

As far as expanding the fanbase, ya'll are making it way too complicated. The answer is simple: WIN. All else will fall into place, but you have to WIN first. No matter how many radio shows you have, news articles written, or positive tailgating experiences, you will not grow the fanbase to level we all want without WINNING.

Where's Charlie Sheen when I need him............

Comment

Working...
                                X