Taking the next step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taking the next step

Winning takes care of attendance and I don't mean getting into the playoffs or having a 7-4 season. Win MVF title, win playoffs year after year and win a championship.

Recruit better and outside of SD. Too many small schools and you need to get in the cities to find athletes. Facilities definitely are excellent and means a lot to young recruits.

bring in some transfer players that improve the team and can start if applicable. D1 transfers and such like other schools do. You have to be a part of this or you will constantly chase the other schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
      Winning takes care of attendance and I don't mean getting into the playoffs or having a 7-4 season. Win MVF title, win playoffs year after year and win a championship.

Recruit better and outside of SD. Too many small schools and you need to get in the cities to find athletes. Facilities definitely are excellent and means a lot to young recruits.

bring in some transfer players that improve the team and can start if applicable. D1 transfers and such like other schools do. You have to be a part of this or you will constantly chase the other schools.
      Some of the Nebraska's best played 6,8 and 9 man football and came from small towns. Let's hope Dallas Goedart does not read this post. Have you ever heard of Britton-Hecla?
      Last edited by Nidaros; 09-30-2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I'd rather not bring in a ton of transfers. I'd rather develop the freshman in the program and build from within. The occasional transfer is fine but I don't want a ton. Look at NDSU (I hate constantly bringing up the NDSU comparison but they are the gold standard right now), they don't have a ton of transfers instead they have built the program from people they recruited from the get go. The occasional transfer they do have (King Frazier comes to mind) they recruited him in high school.

Comment

Taking the next step in terms of attendance? Putting a product on the field that people feel like they have to go and see. They need to know about it, hear about it from us and others, and feel like they want to come and see it happen.

Taking the next step in terms of winning? Home playoff games as pointed out, is huge. Its just huge and Five in a Row or One for the Thumb or whatever they want to call it doesn't happen without all those home games. It just doesn't. They won the games but they also, in part, bought the wins by having those games at home.

I think having a coaching staff with a different attitude emotion and energy would make a huge difference but that is another post.

Comment

Really? Recruit better? Like we don't try and get the best players we can? Of course we do. That is just nonsense.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I don't necessarily think it is nonsense. I could be wrong about this but I don't think the current staff takes many risks on players. They'd rather risk winning games than risk that a player or two might violate the rules. I'm ok with having a strongly moral environment but it sure is a lot easier to maintain one if you only recruit kids who already fit in that crowd. I feel like having a spark plug or three on the team would be a good thing. I don't often see a lot of emotion out there and winners seem to always have emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                I'd rather not bring in a ton of transfers. I'd rather develop the freshman in the program and build from within. The occasional transfer is fine but I don't want a ton. Look at NDSU (I hate constantly bringing up the NDSU comparison but they are the gold standard right now), they don't have a ton of transfers instead they have built the program from people they recruited from the get go. The occasional transfer they do have (King Frazier comes to mind) they recruited him in high school.
                I agree. I would guess Illinois State is probably the program the poster is referring to in regards to D1 transfers. Normal,IL is located right in the middle of, and only a couple of hours drive from Chicago, St.Louis and Indianapolis. Which certainly makes it a more attractive destination for players originally from that area that are looking for a new home.

Comment

Those claiming we need to recruit cities, swag, outside SD, etc should just say what they really want to say.

Since they aren't willing to say their true thoughts, I'll continue with the generalizations: we should recruit more players with speed if we want to get to the next level.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                    I don't necessarily think it is nonsense. I could be wrong about this but I don't think the current staff takes many risks on players. They'd rather risk winning games than risk that a player or two might violate the rules. I'm ok with having a strongly moral environment but it sure is a lot easier to maintain one if you only recruit kids who already fit in that crowd. I feel like having a spark plug or three on the team would be a good thing. I don't often see a lot of emotion out there and winners seem to always have emotion.
                    You don't think the coaches have taken risks on players? I can name one that starts for us right now. Banasiak.

We try to get the best players. Again, look at the offer lists from past recruiting classes. Guys that start or play for NDSU had offers from the Jacks.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

There's an M in front of the any in my post. I don't think they take many risks.

No need to twist what I clearly typed.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        You don't think the coaches have taken risks on players? I can name one that starts for us right now. Banasiak.

We try to get the best players. Again, look at the offer lists from past recruiting classes. Guys that start or play for NDSU had offers from the Jacks.
                        I don't know if taking risks is the right way to put it. I think the coaching staff could expand their horizon a bit (by coaching staff, I mean Stig). As I have stated before, I am full appreciative of the way he does things, but at the same time if you are too strict about it, that will cut down on the number of players you are willing to extend offers to because only so many players fit the type of person you are looking for. Obviously I don't know exactly how SDSU recruits players, but you have to admit it does seem that their players for the most part fit a pretty specific set of criterion. I know many former players and many agree with me. Not saying it's the wrong way to do it, I just think that you might end up missing out on some really good players. Yes, we have offers out to many of the players NDSU ends up getting, but that doesn't mean anything. A lot of schools can claim that. What matters is who you end up getting to commit. I applaud the coaching staff for getting many players out of Nebraska, as that is a fairly untapped area with only one major college in the state. I think we are on the right track with recruiting, I just think if we were a little more flexible we might see better results.

Comment

I'm just curious as to what other schools besides NDSU we are really chasing, and by what measure. We have one of if not the longest streak of being ranked in the top 25 in the country. Been to the playoffs four years in a row. Off the top of my head maybe the only programs would be Sam Houston State, or Jacksonville State. Illinois State was great with Coprich and Roberson, but are really tanking this year it looks like. I'm just curious as to what "other schools" are. The way you stated it was like we aren't even in the top tier of our conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I think our football perceptions are seriously skewed by that yellow and green school up the road. No other level of football has seen the kind of domination that NDSU has achieved. It's rare--possibly unprecedented, certainly unprecedented in Division I football (FBS or FCS). NDSU's run is something that Alabama's fans could only dream of--that's the cold hard truth.

What I'm taking from this thread is that there are a lot of SDSU people who aren't necessarily willing to accept the current state of affairs as being the natural and perpetual order of things.

This is good.

You don't chase what's "behind" you. You chase what's in front of you.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Good point, Thumper. There's not many schools that are ahead of SDSU. I might add Montana, but it's lost some of its shine. Some Valley schools, like Youngstown, have had periods of glory but faded. UNI is good but up and down. Staying near the top is obviously tough.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                I think our football perceptions are seriously skewed by that yellow and green school up the road. No other level of football has seen the kind of domination that NDSU has achieved. It's rare--possibly unprecedented, certainly unprecedented in Division I football (FBS or FCS). NDSU's run is something that Alabama's fans could only dream of--that's the cold hard truth.

What I'm taking from this thread is that there are a lot of SDSU people who aren't necessarily willing to accept the current state of affairs as being the natural and perpetual order of things.

This is good.

You don't chase what's "behind" you. You chase what's in front of you.
                                Maybe its my age, but I think things are going okay. Could they be better sure? A TCU upset would have others fearing the rabbit, but that did not happen. I think we got beat by a very good Cal Poly team.

Comment

Working...
                                X