10/1 Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/1 Western Illinois

I'm more worried that TC isn't going to be all that durable. Let's be honest he lost a year in HS, was banged up a bit last year (IIRC), and has been hobbled for much of this year already.

The fewer hits he takes the better IMO, but that doesn't exactly take full advantage of his skill set.

Comment

Looks like we'll finally get to find out "what's in the box" this weekend.

https://twitter.com/gojacksfb/status/780795630004281344

Just dawned on me that this weekend is the military game, most likely a special edition military style uniform, like the one they did last year with camo on it or something.

Comment

Unfortunately, I agree. If he is going to use his scrambling ability to the fullest, don't be surprised if he spends half his career in a walking boot. It takes a very durable individual to have a full career as a "mobile" quarterback. Thankfully we have a good backup for this year. Who will it be next year? I hope they are ready.

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        I'm more worried that TC isn't going to be all that durable. Let's be honest he lost a year in HS, was banged up a bit last year (IIRC), and has been hobbled for much of this year already.

The fewer hits he takes the better IMO, but that doesn't exactly take full advantage of his skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Unfortunately, I agree. If he is going to use his scrambling ability to the fullest, don't be surprised if he spends half his career in a walking boot. It takes a very durable individual to have a full career as a "mobile" quarterback. Thankfully we have a good backup for this year. Who will it be next year? I hope they are ready.
          Kannin is a stud. We will be good to go.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Besides home field, another built-in advantage is that we had a bye week and Western Illinois played an FBS team last week. Coming off a loss, there's no excuse for any complacency or lack of focus.

Throw in the devastating loss to the Leathernecks last year, I expect the Jacks to win this game, and maybe even by a surprising margin.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Other than this week, it's hard not to root for WIU with their budget issues and loss of their coaching staff.

We'd appreciate the "rooting", after this weekend, I assume.

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              As you can see from the videos, they have a very capable freshman RB, #34 that is quick and shifty and averages 6 yards per carry.

Just a quick update, Steve McShane is actually a Sophomore. He did play last year and showed some signs of explosiveness, but was largely overshadowed by Nikko Watson. McShane had 232 yards on 65 attemps last year, so he's nearly doubled that already this year. Also, someone mentioned something about him being a "big back". Just for clarification...Watson was a "big back"...McShane is only 5'8" and 185 lbs. He's more of a quick, shifty back, although he does have the ability to stay on his feet with guys on him (not quite as well as Watson could, but I saw him carrying 3 NIU defenders for about 5 yards last weekend...and I mean "carry"...like, two didn't even have their feet on the ground as they were piled on top of him).

Anyway, just thought I'd provide a couple of updates. I'll be posting my regular rundown of Saturday's game from Western's perspective over on LeatherneckNation.net probably tomorrow, and I'll be checking back here periodically and will gladly provide updates and info if you guys have any questions about our team.
              Scott
              Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
              Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                Just a quick update, Steve McShane is actually a Sophomore.
                Ha, I must have ended up on the 2015 roster page somehow. Thanks for that update and others. Are you surprised that 5dimes has SDSU pegged as 4.5 point favorites? If you ask me the game is probably a pick em. I definitely wasn't surprised at the total, which is set at 59.5. This game should definitely see plenty of fireworks.

Comment

Bet the over. With fury
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Ha, I must have ended up on the 2015 roster page somehow. Thanks for that update and others. Are you surprised that 5dimes has SDSU pegged as 4.5 point favorites? If you ask me the game is probably a pick em. I definitely wasn't surprised at the total, which is set at 59.5. This game should definitely see plenty of fireworks.
                    Not really surprised at all. Before the start of the season, I did a rundown of each matchup throughout the season along with my predictions. Originally, I had us losing this game at SDSU (see here for my original post: http://www.leathernecknation.net/for...&t=1069#p11843 and remember...I posted this August 25th, essentially a week before the season started, so some of the details may have changed with regards to specific personnel on your team, but I think it mostly still holds true). We have exceeded my expectations up to this point (I thought we'd win at EIU, beat NAU at home, lose at NIU, then lose at SDSU, putting us at 2-2 on the season after this weekend), so I think that the game will be tighter than I initially expected. If I remember right, I was thinking maybe something along the lines of about a 10-14 point win for SDSU this game, depending on how our (essentially new) defensive line worked out. With us being better than nearly everyone expected, I think our two teams are probably about even overall (obviously you guys are better in specific areas, as are we), but the 4.5 point difference towards you guys is essentially "home field advantage". I think they usually say about 3 points for home field, but with your new stadium, beautiful weather (clear and mid to low 60s for early October football is my definition of "heaven"), and probably an excellent crowd, I can see that pushing up a bit towards 4.5 or so.

Honestly, I think the total at just under 60 is probably a bit low. 60 is if we are able to mostly contain your receivers, especially on long throws...we've been burned by those...I'd say it's probably our one defensive weakness. If neither of the defenses are able to hang with the offenses, I could easily see 70+ for the total.

Personally, I think we'll see a close, high scoring (probably back and forth) game...maybe one of those "whoever gets the ball last wins" type of games.
                    Scott
                    Western Illinois University Alumnus, Employee and Fan
                    Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Comment

Originally posted by ST_Lawson View Post
                      Personally, I think we'll see a close, high scoring (probably back and forth) game...maybe one of those "whoever gets the ball last wins" type of games.
                      I agree with you. I think this game could easily end up with a total around 70. The one caveat is if our defense decides to show up and play to their potential, I could see us winning by 10 or 14. As you may have heard we are getting back a few key defensive players this week in Mears, Blum, and Banasiak. They could very well prove to be the difference. Honestly, our defense wasn't that many plays away from holding Cal Poly to about half as many points. They had them backed up for many 3rd and longs and just couldn't get off the field. This weekend will show whether that game was an anomaly or possibly the norm for this year. I'm thinking we will see some regression to the mean with the defense cleaning things up a bit, but we're definitely not going to shut WIU's offense down by any means. I think that our defense will come up big this week and my prediction for the game is 38-24.

Comment

As I said in another thread, Banasiak played against Poly. He just didn't start because of being late to a position meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          As I said in another thread, Banasiak played against Poly. He just didn't start because of being late to a position meeting.
                          Yep, that's true. Wilde was suspended for the Poly game due to a violation of team rules.

Comment

Good luck this week to one of my favorite MVFC teams. Love that we still play our former GWFC partners and pull for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
                              Good luck this week to one of my favorite MVFC teams. Love that we still play our former GWFC partners and pull for the Jacks.
                              Every win you guys get makes us feel better about ourselves. So don't lose any more games lol
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Fine, you win. I was just trying to rationalize the way our defense played a little more.

Comment

Working...
                                X