10/1 Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 10/1 Western Illinois

That botched punt that gave WIU the ball on our 40 or 45 gave them 7 of their 14 points and our run game continues to go no where. Two Mangerilli runs that were stuffed before he got started and resulted in lost yardage only to be made up with a Christian-Weinke pass and a TD. There is room for improvement on both sides of the ball. Otherwise, it was a great game. Enjoyable to beat up on someone else.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-02-2016, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
      We were a little predictable on 1st down and they loaded the box early... ounce they backed off we opened some run lanes, definitely need to improve there. Every time we ran outside the tackles was not good at all. The oline did a great job of pass protection though. I thought our LBs and DBs played good except for the jet sweep 71 yard play and D line got better as the game went on. We finally got some pressure on McGuire and he throws 2 pick 6 s. By far the highlights of the night went to our pass catchers my jaw was wide open most of the game. TC made some great throws but it seems that Dallas and Jake bring everything in like hoovers, and a great 1 handed grab that was definitely worth the price of admission. If you weren't there last night you definitely missed out. So get your butts the DJD and watch the air raid.
      Maybe some misdirection to the opposite side of the field first would help some,along with some discreet blocking schemes can spring a guy loose.We should be exploring different run plays for sure if it seems everyone knows our running plays too well,or they're too telegraphed.Always keep them guessing,it keeps them confused,unsure of themselves, unorganized in general.We should be in the planning stage right now to spring some different plays on the opposition come the playoffs.We should PLAN on being in the playoffs,not wishing.Be one step ahead.JMO

Comment

Jekyl and Hyde Jacks. D finally showed up that's encouraging. The running game or lack thereof is concerning. We weren't exactly great running the ball last year either. Me thinks maybe our backs just aren't at the level we are used to seeing. Hopefully we can stay away from that letdown game the rest of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          Jekyl and Hyde Jacks. D finally showed up that's encouraging. The running game or lack thereof is concerning. We weren't exactly great running the ball last year either. Me thinks maybe our backs just aren't at the level we are used to seeing. Hopefully we can stay away from that letdown game the rest of the way.
          Heard a comment on the radio broadcast last night, to the effect that the wildly different offenses the Jacks faced in the first three weeks kind of had the defense's collective heads spinning a bit, and the bye week allowed them to settle down and re-set themselves. Could be something to that--the D actually played pretty well against TCU, all things considered.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Landberg's catch #6 on Sports Center top 10.

Link to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS0J0Ao4wm4
            This is definitely another player the defense cannot leave alone. He was showing some spurts last year as a capable receiver. Pass offense should open up the running game this season.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Hard for me to blame the RB's when they get met right in the hole and sometimes in the backfield. They have shown the ability to gain some yards if there is an opening.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll recognize 2 of the leaders in the FCS for receiving touchdowns. Teams need to be afraid of our offense.
                Rollin' in my 5.0
                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Not to be an argument person.
                  But Wallace's long run went outside.
                  And Christion ran a designed qb sweep outside too.
                  -so, Not ALL of the outside runs failed.
                  I do agree with the point that there is a lack of push up front.
                  Zimmer noted on Twitter that true freshman RT Genant checked in... running game improved some.
                  2nd half had some better holes for Brady to run through up the middle.
                  -However, it's unusual for SDSU to struggle in this area, particularly in the Stig era.
                  -also noteworthy, coverage unit has been phenomenal since TCU game.
                  -Don't understate Taryn Christion's passing. Yes. We've had phenomenal catches, but he puts the ball there, where only the target can get it.
                  -that 3rd and long completion to Weineke in the 2nd half was ridiculous. Amazing catch, absolutely. But that ball was right where Jake, and only Jake could get it.
                  -4 games 15 TD's and 1 int.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

The team did have 3.9 yards per carry last night. That is not exactly an incredible number, but it isn't Trent Richardson with the Colts. The run game is better than people think. It just isn't on Zach Zenner level.
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

I agree. The run game is probably good enough. It's not great. Probably won't take over a game. But when we pass like we do that should help open the run game. But also take away chances for the run game since we do pass really well.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm going to copy what the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel does after Packer games with a section called "Rants and Raves". I enjoy reading these quick thoughts.

Rave: How lucky are we to have both Jake Wieneke and Dallas Goedert? Both are pretty amazing and keep coming up with top notch catches week after week. Paired with Landberg, Anderson, and Lewis we are pretty deep at wide receiver. I loved Dallas' first TD when we motioned him out to the sideline and he ran a go and sprinted right past the CB. I'm guessing the design called for a jump ball, but the CB never turned his hips and Dallas ran right by him. Pretty funny to watch.

Rant: Not sure about keeping the starting offense on the field into the fourth. TC is fragile and I prefer to keep him healthy.

Rant: Terrible angle taken by Jacob Brown on the long run in the first quarter. Luckily he had the recovery speed and made the tackle before the running back scored.

Rave: Wes Genant is a pretty dang good pass blocker. I'm excited that we'll have him for 3 1/2 more years. I wonder what the official snap count was, but I thought he played more than Carr.

Rave: Nice to have Blum back. He is our most consistent pass rusher.

Rant: Langer has lost so much of his explosiveness. At this point he is our 3rd or 4th best defensive tackle following Soulek, Gottlob, and Whitsel. I wonder if he is sick or hurt or if he just bulked up too much. Most of the run plays he is getting driven five yards off the line of scrimmage. It's weird seeing a senior regress so much.

Rave: Great crowd! The student turnout looked poor, but there were a lot who chose to sit with their family because of dad's weekend.

All and all a great day! Beautiful weather for tailgating and an entertaining game to watch without any major injuries.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          I'm going to copy what the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel does after Packer games with a section called "Rants and Raves". I enjoy reading these quick thoughts.

Rave: How lucky are we to have both Jake Wieneke and Dallas Goedert? Both are pretty amazing and keep coming up with top notch catches week after week. Paired with Landberg, Anderson, and Lewis we are pretty deep at wide receiver. I loved Dallas' first TD when we motioned him out to the sideline and he ran a go and sprinted right past the CB. I'm guessing the design called for a jump ball, but the CB never turned his hips and Dallas ran right by him. Pretty funny to watch.

Rant: Not sure about keeping the starting offense on the field into the fourth. TC is fragile and I prefer to keep him healthy.

Rant: Terrible angle taken by Jacob Brown on the long run in the first quarter. Luckily he had the recovery speed and made the tackle before the running back scored.

Rave: Wes Genant is a pretty dang good pass blocker. I'm excited that we'll have him for 3 1/2 more years. I wonder what the official snap count was, but I thought he played more than Carr.

Rant: Langer has lost so much of his explosiveness. At this point he is our 3rd or 4th best defensive tackle following Soulek, Gottlob, and Whitsel. I wonder if he is sick or hurt or if he just bulked up too much. Most of the run plays he is getting driven five yards off the line of scrimmage. It's weird seeing a senior regress so much.

Rave: Great crowd! The student turnout looked poor, but there were a lot who chose to sit with their family because of dad's weekend.

All and all a great day! Beautiful weather for tailgating and an entertaining game to watch without any major injuries.
                          I might add a rave for NW Iowa and Bulldog, it was a very calm No 2, Rozeboom, who pulled off a Pick 6.
                          Rant, we need to recruit more in NW Iowa.

Comment

Great game Jacks! The offense and defense played well. All you run game worries relax. A good defense tries to make a team one dimensional and that means stopping the run in most cases. Opponents take the chance that TC cannot beat them with the pass and this will continue. You run the ball whether you have big gains or not. The offense must stay balanced and make the defense play honest. I would like to see a fullback dive once in awhile, a jet sweep, a draw play versus the current read option run game being called. I don't see the read option as a good decision for this group of players and they don't recruit that style. TC can run, scramble but is not a read option Qb. Get ready for the SIU.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

It was Makiah Slade that took the poor angle on the long run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                              "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Goedert is MVFC offensive player of the week. Rozeboom is MVFC newcomer of the week.

http://www.valley-football.org/news/...he-week-oct-1/
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X