10/1 Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/1 Western Illinois

Welp, Cal Poly is over, I've passed my stages of grief over it. I'm ready to talk about our upcoming opponent WIU.

Western has only played two games so far with their bye week last week, but both were solid wins against two good programs. They beat the Eastern Illinois squad that has a FBS win and just beat Illinois State in Normal fairly handily, and also beat the Big Sky preseason pick to win the conference and auto bid. Their big back has been steamrolling over defenses so far, but their defense hasn't looked like world beaters. So far though they have really looked like a possible top 10 program and a definite playoff team IMHO.

We could possibly still say the defense has a chance this week to truly show what they can do this week. You could argue that as disconcerting the results to date could be one part underperforming and one equal part of playing against an extremely athletic spread offense we won't see the likes of this year, a let down vs Drake, and just getting caught flat footed by a very good triple option team we won't see again and could make any defense look silly. So realistically this is going to be the true test, with a bye week to prepare against an offense we are built to play against. I would say this game hinges on stopping the run, but if you look deeper at it WIU has a receiving corps that has the deepest talent in the conference. So I don't know how much selling out on the run will help unless our young corners have a breakout week. Our front seven will HAVE to stop the run and get pressure on the QB. No ifs ands or buts about it. We could win a shootout, but that's what I thought last week as well.

WIU is playing at Northern Illinois this week in what looks to be a real winnable FBS game this week that I think and hope they win. Hopefully they win so we can catch them in a letdown week next week, and hopefully the loss down there still burns our guys. I will be tickled pink with any win against these guys, even if it's by one in three OTs. With their performance to date they look like a legit top 2-3 team in the conference, and are going to be more than a handful. They have a darn good offense and we will need to put up 30+ to win I think.

Also, I promise not to post anything the next couple weeks about any tailgating policies, practices, or theories

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Re: 10/1 Western Illinois

This is a huge game for the Jacks. WIU is 3-0 and has an FBS win and two quality FCS wins. They'll probably be top ten ranked (if they aren't already).

Huge test. Must win for the Jacks.

Comment

No middle ground here. Either we get a big win over what appears to be a very good WIU team or we can start talking about "next year". It's hard to imagine a scenario where a team with our schedule makes a playoff run after a 1-3 start. This is especially true this year, with the losses MVFC teams have taken in OOC play. It's very doubtful that we'll get four playoff teams this time around.

Other than this week, it's hard not to root for WIU with their budget issues and loss of their coaching staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Jacks will play 4 teams, in MVFC action, who are FBS game winners these season. If Jacks are to get a seed, they need to go 3-1 or better vs. these four, and no blunders on the softer teams, which include a rivalry game. So yea, winning vs WIU is important. So is going 1-0 each week.

Comment

WIU pro style offense looks troublesome for this Jacks defense. The play action pass and jet sweep could cause problems. The Qb looked sharp and has lots of weapons. RB, WRs and four TEs makes this offense go.

Comment

So I did some digging for a post I put up on AGS, and found something that made me feel a bit better coming into this week about the defense, and maybe helps some other people take a step back from the ledge with me on our defense. When you look at the bare stats and ppg given up we look HORRENDOUS. We give up damn near 43 ppg. However, we really have faced some offensive juggernauts.
            And while I don't think that SDSU has a good defense by any stretch, the optimist in me says they aren't as bad as their stats are showing at this point. I think it's about 50% a product of who they have faced as well. TCU is averaging 42.8 ppg as a FBS team and Cal Poly is averaging 36.25 ppg. So realistically, SDSU isn't giving up that much more than those teams average, especially when you consider TCU scored a TD off a fluke tipped pass and a 13 yd TD after a fumble recovery. So basically if you go all clenz on it and dive deep into the stats the defense isn't good by any stretch, but I don't think they are as terrible as they appear either.
            So is our defense as awful as it has looked? I don't think so. I don't think we're going to see our defense of last year, but I bet we see some fairly large improvement when we hit conference play. And so concludes today's episode of Taking Comfort in Statistics with Thumper 76 lol

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
              However, we really have faced some offensive juggernauts.
              I assume you're not including Drake in that statement, and if so I would agree. Drake is hard to use when it comes to statistics, because it doesn't take into account the fact that we went up 21-0 and clearly took our foot off the pedal. TCU is obviously a very good offensive team, and Cal Poly is much better than in years past. I am still a bit worried about our defense, but I'm hoping 2 weeks gave them enough time to get things corrected because Western Illinois is no slouch. Looking at their resume so far and some of their highlights from their games has me very concerned. Here are the highlights from their games so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM1-LaPTcpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqv9T5AYXD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBdT2xgAYQ

As you can see from the videos, they have a very capable freshman RB, #34 that is quick and shifty and averages 6 yards per carry. They also have a sophomore QB who seems to be able to get the ball to their playmakers at WR. This will be a very tough game. I'm thinking it will turn into a track meet unless our defense really steps up, because their offense is capable of putting up points, and our offense obviously is capable as well. Either way, it's a must win for sure.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really count the Drake game for much of anything when it comes to how the team can perform.

Comment

I'm going to be at the game and it's been 5 or so years since I've been Brookings. My question is that if I want to pick up some SDSU gear, is it best to go to the downtown store or the on campus store?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    I'm going to be at the game and it's been 5 or so years since I've been Brookings. My question is that if I want to pick up some SDSU gear, is it best to go to the downtown store or the on campus store?
                    I've only ever been there a couple of times, but the DT Jackrabbit Central sucks, especially compared to the Bookstore.

Comment

The selection at the bookstore on campus is much better. It can get crowded on game days. You might want to get there early.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

The best selection, but most expensive would be the bookstore. Another place that has some good options but is rather expensive would be Scheels in Sioux Falls. Apparently there's a USD/SDSU store that opened up in the mall, but I haven't been there yet. I haven't had much luck at Dunham's in Brookings, but it's another option. You would be surprised at what you can find at Walmart in Brookings, depending on if they have a new shipment or not, they can have a really good selection at decent prices.

Does anyone know if the apparel store at the stadium is open yet?

Comment

We have had good luck getting stuff at Walmart in Brookings. Good enough selections and better prices. We have a have a hard time finding stuff for kids.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If you are coming Friday. I would stop by CF Promo. They have decent selection. You could also check Trendz downtown. The downtown Jackrabbit Central doesn't have the selection as the Campus store but it is not bad.
                            We...ARE...STATE!
                            SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                              If you are coming Friday. I would stop by CF Promo. They have decent selection. You could also check Trendz downtown. The downtown Jackrabbit Central doesn't have the selection as the Campus store but it is not bad.
                              I agree. Jackrabbit Central downtown isn't bad. It's just not as big as the bookstore so there's less of a selection.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X