X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    Defensive thoughts.
    The DEs are very thin and second team players are not making plays. How about moving D Cox to DE? He makes a ton of plays on special teams. How about moving C Lang to DE? He could be the strong side end with his size and it seems his motor runs on every play. Making changes at this position for depth is necessary.
    I've always thought our defense is a little light,but the pat answer is they favor speed over weight,which I fully understand, but we need at least the LB's that are both physically strong and can carry some weight to shed a block faster, and yet have some speed to cover the scrimmage line sideline to sideline (not necessarily the Pro's size ,but pretty close).

I understand they are hard to recruit, but not impossible either.They plug the holes.To me, runs are contained by the front four and the three linebackers mainly.The other four think pass first and run containment second,and definately are taken out of most run plays by design.This to me is a recruiting problem ,not a player problem,try going up against bigger ,stronger players who are just as quick and fast as you are and try to stop the run,they are handed an uphill battle in that situation and sometimes it's too much to overcome.No one goes out onto a field to lose,so you can't blame the players all the time.Other things must be considered too.

The defense is only as good as it's physical limitations, it's preparedness for the game and the confidence instilled to acheive victory, and willingness to give it your best as a player. Obviously one , or more , of these isn't working.Some games the opponent is just too good period ,that's the physical limitation part,in which case the players and the coaching staff are really blameless,and a loss occurs,but this can't be the explanation we want to accept too many times,obviously.
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day for one. And I expect upperclassmen to be leaders and coaches to have teams prepared. Lastly, I will happy be the voice opposed to mediocrity. If that becomes my gig, so be it. If you want to log in and defend what we watched last night, so be it.
      Thanks for the new signature!
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        From what I saw, CP consistently beat both SDSU's o-line and d-line--the Mustangs were beating the o-line regularly, causing both problems in the running game and additional training room time for TC, but they were wantonly abusing the d-line.

Difference between the offense and defense is that the offense has a couple of NFL-caliber receivers to lean on, whereas the back end of the defense isn't nearly good enough cover up deficiencies at the line.

31 points at home should be enough to win any game. The offense isn't perfect but it's not what's dragging this team down. The defense, on the other hand--I'll give it one more game before they will have amply earned a label of a **bad** defense.

Not "mediocre," not "average."

Bad.
        My thoughts exactly. Really disappointing loss, missed another chance to make a statement in front of a big crowd.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          From what I saw, CP consistently beat both SDSU's o-line and d-line--the Mustangs were beating the o-line regularly, causing both problems in the running game and additional training room time for TC, but they were wantonly abusing the d-line.

Difference between the offense and defense is that the offense has a couple of NFL-caliber receivers to lean on, whereas the back end of the defense isn't nearly good enough cover up deficiencies at the line.

31 points at home should be enough to win any game. The offense isn't perfect but it's not what's dragging this team down. The defense, on the other hand--I'll give it one more game before they will have amply earned a label of a **bad** defense.

Not "mediocre," not "average."

Bad.
          My thoughts exactly. I won't beat this horse. I am wanting an answer for the reasons this defense is a bad as it is? Personnel problems, recruiting issues, coaching, scheme, preparation..........?? I don't get it.

Especially hard to stomach after the Bison defense shut down a top 10-15 BSC program with a senior QB leading the way. To say I'm disappointed doesn't quite get there.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            My thoughts exactly. Really disappointing loss, missed another chance to make a statement in front of a big crowd.
            As much as this loss stings, the most damaging aspect is that we seem to lay eggs in front of the big home crowds. In my opinion, those are the biggest opportunities to grow the casual fan into somebody that is more emotionally, and later financially, invested in the program. I think this loss hurts more than just the record. We'll see what attendance looks like the rest of the year, but I fear that was our high water mark for the season.

I don't want this post to seem all doom and gloom, there is still a lot of season left and plenty of opportunities for this team. But, if we want to take the next step as a program and change the impression that we are not a true contender, we need to win our big home games.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              My thoughts exactly. I won't beat this horse. I am wanting an answer for the reasons this defense is a bad as it is? Personnel problems, recruiting issues, coaching, scheme, preparation..........?? I don't get it.

Especially hard to stomach after the Bison defense shut down a top 10-15 BSC program with a senior QB leading the way. To say I'm disappointed doesn't quite get there.
              Looked this up out of curiosity on NCAA.com. It was worse than what I expected to see, so I guess I'll be the one to beat the horse. Out of 122 FCS teams we rank:
              Total Defense - 115
              Rushing Defense - 106
              Passing Defense - 97
              Tackles for Loss - 116
              Team Sacks - 90 (tied with 18 teams)
              Team Passing Efficiency Defense - 83
              3rd Down Conversion Percentage (Defense) - 119
              4th Down Conversion Percentage (Defense) - 101
              1st Downs Allowed - 121
              Turnover Margin - 18 (the bright spot)
              Red Zone Defense - 69 (tied with 9 teams)

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post

We are agreeing way too much these days... scary.

I thought our lines looked tired and/or winded at times. Granted, the defensive line spent a lot of time on the field , but I wonder about our conditioning...
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
                  Looked this up out of curiosity on NCAA.com. It was worse than what I expected to see, so I guess I'll be the one to beat the horse. Out of 122 FCS teams we rank:
                  Total Defense - 115
                  Rushing Defense - 106
                  Passing Defense - 97
                  Tackles for Loss - 116
                  Team Sacks - 90 (tied with 18 teams)
                  Team Passing Efficiency Defense - 83
                  3rd Down Conversion Percentage (Defense) - 119
                  4th Down Conversion Percentage (Defense) - 101
                  1st Downs Allowed - 121
                  Turnover Margin - 18 (the bright spot)
                  Red Zone Defense - 69 (tied with 9 teams)
                  This is especially bad considering one of our games is against Drake... a team that only managed to score 28 points against a school called McKendree.

Our inability to run consistently combined with our defensive struggles leave me very concerned about our ability compete in the MVFC this year.

Comment

Tackles for Loss - 116
                    Cal Poly ran it 59 times the other night and the Jacks had 0 TFL. That is incredible that they couldn't even guess right once and stop them in the backfield. Cal Poly deserves some credit too, but wow.

Comment

As much as this loss stings, the most damaging aspect is that we seem to lay eggs in front of the big home crowds. In my opinion, those are the biggest opportunities to grow the casual fan into somebody that is more emotionally, and later financially, invested in the program. I think this loss hurts more than just the record. We'll see what attendance looks like the rest of the year, but I fear that was our high water mark for the season.

I don't want this post to seem all doom and gloom, there is still a lot of season left and plenty of opportunities for this team. But, if we want to take the next step as a program and change the impression that we are not a true contender, we need to win our big home games.
                      Its definitely been a trend for several years now. We are good at laying eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                        Cal Poly ran it 59 times the other night and the Jacks had 0 TFL. That is incredible that they couldn't even guess right once and stop them in the backfield. Cal Poly deserves some credit too, but wow.
                        Zimmer pointed that out, Cal Poly's only play that went for negative yards was the kneel-down to end the game.

Comment

This was a loss that has to have everyone in the program looking at themselves in the mirror. We were manhandled on the line, we were outcoached, and we had no answers for any of it. When Christion is out there on an ankle that he very obviously can't make a cut on and we are running QB keepers to the outside you have to scratch your head. Somebody above posted that they ran it 59 times with NO TACKLES FOR LOSS. Huh? Unreal. Hats off to Cal Poly for the a$$ kicking.

I'm an optimist and believe they will get things headed the right direction but the margin for error left town on the Mustangs bus. This team now will have to go on the road and win a couple games that they will be solid underdogs. I think they can do it. There are a lot of really good players on the team.

I hope fans won't give up on these guys. Yep, it was a bad loss. They need to own. They also need our support. Props to the fans for making it a raucous environment Saturday night. That's what we as fans can do. We don't do it very often.

My hope is we get things ironed out and headed the right way during the bye week because there is too much invested in this team to tolerate performances like that. I'm sure everyone feels that pressure.

Bring on the Leathernecks and let's get this thing turned around!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The defense and OL definitely played their worst game of the season (and hopefully it remains that way), but can we really say the Jacks laid an egg? To me that implies the opponents dominated the stats and score, and Cal Poly won by a TD. Plus, the Jacks had a chance at the end. Having said that, if the Jacks had scored rather than throwing the INT, I would've opted to go for two rather than trying to stop Cal Poly in OT.

The Western Ill. game will be a great litmus test of the team's mettle. As for engaging fans and generating excitement -- Wieneke, Goedert, Christion, et al. have provided highlight reel performances. Plus, I can look across the field multiple times at these games and see Lujan as the first person greeting his teammates when they exit the field after PATs, kickoffs, offensive series, etc. That speaks to the character of at least some of the team, and it makes me want to root for them even more.

I realize the Jacks won't beat teams in the Valley, or anywhere else, with "feel good" stories like Lujan's I mentioned above, but I think the DL and OL will improve and the secondary will make more plays like the INTs at TCU, and the team will right the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                              Yes, I think that's what Cal Poly wanted,that we would be too passive and not aggressive enough so they could run their plays to perfection.We were intimidated by their option offense and it cost us a game we could of won if we would have been more disruptive beyond the line of scrimmage.JMO
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-19-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

I hope fans won't give up on these guys. Yep, it was a bad loss. They need to own. They also need our support. Props to the fans for making it a raucous environment Saturday night. That's what we as fans can do. We don't do it very often.

My hope is we get things ironed out and headed the right way during the bye week because there is too much invested in this team to tolerate performances like that. I'm sure everyone feels that pressure.

Bring on the Leathernecks and let's get this thing turned around!

SUPERBUNNY
                                You can hope that the fans won't, but I'm fairly certain this was a huge hit to trying to generate a larger fanbase. Losing to an unranked team (they should have been ranked) when you are ranked in the top ten is not going to generate any excitement for the rest of the season. Talk about a deflating loss. If we average 13,000 fans after that I'll be pretty happy. I doubt we break 10,000 for the Misery St game now. I will never be optimistic about fan turnout after a game like that. Really disappointing. Had a second great opportunity to really grow the fanbase and just straight piss it down our leg AGAIN.

Really hope the defensive line takes a long look in the mirror this bye week and really feels this loss. I wonder if all the talk about our amazing defensive line this offseason went to their heads. The defensive rankings that were posted earlier should be posted on every locker. They got absolutely destroyed this weekend, and if the D line and the rest of the defense don't get it together, Western Illinois will run us right out of our shiny new empty stadium. Their running back has put up some huge numbers, including a game against an Eastern Illinois team who has a FBS win and beat Illinois State. And the game they had with EIU was not close. Their RB had a really impressive game that game, rushing for 207 yds and 2 TDs. This game will be ugly if the defense doesn't get it together.
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X