Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
    The handling of the student tailgate has been a big disappointment. I feel the athletic department needs to hire independent security and not rely on UPD. If someone gets out of hand to the point where law enforcement is needed, the security company can then remove the individual and turn them over to UPD. Killing the student tailgate, and hurting student attendance will have detrimental effects in later years. The current students can be future season ticket holders, but not if they don't associate the games with having great times with friends. At this point it is probably too late for this season.
    WTF? Who will pay for the independent security? Student fees maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Students leaving at halftime has been happening for years, especially at night games. Not a new thing.
      Maybe we need to bring back after game student dances at the Union. That way in order to take in the dance, students would have to suffer through the second half.

Comment

Best of luck to the Jacks the rest of the season. Great program and great fans.

Comment

That was a tough loss. Jacks have a real uphill battle to get back to the playoffs. All the Valley teams losing to the Big Sky doesn't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by SloStang View Post
            Best of luck to the Jacks the rest of the season. Great program and great fans.
            Congrats on the win.

Stangs came in and straight up beat us.
            -also, I've said many times I love watching the option run well. (Except against the Rabbits).
            Good Luck to Cal Poly the rest of the year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope Lujan gets more reps with the first-team offense. AND, #12, Kanin Nelson of Mitchell, the next-in-line QB, has to be ready to go too. Teams are going to quickly catch on to frequent blitzes resulting in a significant risk to Christion's ankle. Based on the CalPoly game and the two or three times Christion went to the sidelines, his ankle is apparently being held together by tape. He'd be limping badly, have the old tape removed and his right ankle re-taped and he'd seem good to go (although I do not recall any plays in which he was the designated runner in the second half). Lujan is the best backup QB in the Valley but I thought his timing wasn't quite as good as we've seen in the past...more reps needed in practice?

Comment

The handling of the student tailgate has been a big disappointment. I feel the athletic department needs to hire independent security and not rely on UPD. If someone gets out of hand to the point where law enforcement is needed, the security company can then remove the individual and turn them over to UPD. Killing the student tailgate, and hurting student attendance will have detrimental effects in later years. The current students can be future season ticket holders, but not if they don't associate the games with having great times with friends. At this point it is probably too late for this season.
                So put up a MINORS, DRINK HERE! sign? Any liability to the University in doing that?

I guess that's basically what the Backyard was to minors the last several years. That's also what led to the couple of mob messes we had last year.

Not sure what the answer is, but I don't think designating an area for minors to come drink flies. If underage students won't come to games unless they can consume in public before the game, then so be it.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                  So put up a MINORS, DRINK HERE! sign? Any liability to the University in doing that?

I guess that's basically what the Backyard was to minors the last several years. That's also what led to the couple of mob messes we had last year.

Not sure what the answer is, but I don't think designating an area for minors to come drink flies. If underage students won't come to games unless they can consume in public before the game, then so be it.
                  You're right. Just shut down the student tailgate. And get rid of the student section too while we're at it. Seems like a solid strategy. Let's get out the breathalyzers like nidaros wants to as well and hit everybody in the tailgating lots. Sounds like a fun time to me.
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Maybe we need to bring back after game student dances at the Union. That way in order to take in the dance, students would have to suffer through the second half.
                    Probably don't have the attention span required to sit for 10 minutes, let alone a whole half.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                      Probably don't have the attention span required to sit for 10 minutes, let alone a whole half.
                      This was a tongue in cheek suggestion. There are several games in town now, so why hang around.

Comment

Current season ticket holders ARE ALREADY future season ticket holders. But not if they associate the games with drunken mobs of students damaging their personal property and jeopardizing the safety of their friends/family.

There needs to be room for everyone to have fun at tailgating. People (and many businesses) pay a premium price for backyard tailgating. Asking the university to ensure a proper environment for that kind of tailgating is not too much to ask, IMO.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          This was a tongue in cheek suggestion. There are several games in town now, so why hang around.
                          My comment was an attempt at humor. Several years ago, I took my 8th grade G-daughter to a Mayo HS fullhouse football game, it was Willow Creek MS night. I swear to God that no one under 16 sat still for more than 5 minutes without getting up and running off someplace. I asked another old guy several seats over if this was normal, he laughed and said, "They seem fairly still tonight". Wonder if that wears off with a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            You're right. Just shut down the student tailgate. And get rid of the student section too while we're at it. Seems like a solid strategy. Let's get out the breathalyzers like nidaros wants to as well and hit everybody in the tailgating lots. Sounds like a fun time to me.
                            If enabling and encouraging underage drinking in the name of increasing student attendance is the way to go, why stop there? Why not add contributing to the arsenal and hand them a cooler of beer when they walk into the student tailgate area? Seems like a solid strategy.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

If enabling and encouraging underage drinking in the name of increasing student attendance is the way to go, why stop there? Why not add contributing to the arsenal and hand them a cooler of beer when they walk into the student tailgate area? Seems like a solid strategy.
                              Does someone already have a petition going on this? Sounds like a great way to increase student attendance! Better yet... Introduce it at next week's game and tell them that they have to stay until the end of the game or the free beer goes away! Genius.

Comment

There's a difference between encouraging and going overboard. I have no idea if they are checking IDs of every student or just the ones with alcohol. If it's the ones with alcohol, then I'm for it. If it's every student who walks through hunting to give out underage tickets, that's a joke. When I was going to the student section in CAS you could get drunk off the fumes of the students. Do you go through and ID all of them? Is that encouraging underage consumption? To me the student tailgate should be treated as an extension of the student section, only policing it when necessary. Students drink underage. Strict enforcement and attempts to hunt down underage students isn't going to stop it, it's going to make them do it in other locations that realistically would be more dangerous than a supervised student tailgate. Honestly underage drinking is a large part of the college student culture, and if you try to force it out of the Gameday don't be surprised when the students don't go to their tailgate area and leave games early. You can embrace the students or try to force them to be extremely well behaved church kids. Guess which one grows the fanbase and makes the Gameday atmosphere better?

I'm not saying let the students be out of control, I understand how awful the events were last year. But if they're off in their own space let students be students. Check people who are out of line, don't let underage kids be wheeling in kegs and coolers of beer, but don't be on a witch hunt for them either. You know there's a lot of underagers sneaking in flasks and booze into the student section, but we don't send UPD through the student section looking for it.
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X