Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bison in a battle vs Charleston So.

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The fact that you had not heard of Charleston Southern may say more about you not paying attention to news than it says about Charleston Southern's football prowess. Going into the game, Charleston Southern was the preseason #7 team in the FCS. Guess who was the preseason #8 in the same poll: Jackrabbits. Here's that particular poll on the NCAA site: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/footbal...ats-fcs-top-25 They were a playoff team (for the first time in the school's history) last season.

But, I do not agree with the basic sentiment in your post: We have "gotten it done" in Fargo but we're well on our way to working on one of those long dry spells and it is high time we take the Bison down again. Charleston Southern, in spite of its preseason ranking, does not appear to be a particularly powerful team. They exposed some exploitable weaknesses in the Bison offense and defense.

The ESPN announcers kept referring to the Bucs as the #6 ranked FCS teams, apparently referring to another poll. CSU is in the Big South Conference which doesn't hold a candle to the MVFC (in my view).
    I thought they played WIU last year, but checking further WIU played Coastal Carolina. Same Conference I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      If a FCS team I've literally never even heard of can roll into the Fargo Dome and do this, we better get it done one of these days. I'm guess it was their first time playing there too. Let's hope it is a sign of chinks in the NDSU armour, but I won't hold my breath.
      As well as mediocre USD team beating them in Fargo,I agree,we have to get the "well,they're the Bison" monkey off our backs.

Comment

ESPN had said last night that it was the first overtime home game NDSU ever had in Fargo. Does anyone know if that is true or a good way to fact-check it? It just doesn't sound possible in over 100 years of football they never went to overtime at home.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
          ESPN had said last night that it was the first overtime home game NDSU ever had in Fargo. Does anyone know if that is true or a good way to fact-check it? It just doesn't sound possible in over 100 years of football they never went to overtime at home.
          They said in the Fargodome.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            They said in the Fargodome.

I was pretty sure they said home games ever, but 20+ years and no overtime home games still seems uncanny.
            Rollin' in my 5.0
            With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
            Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

From what I could find on a quick Google search, the NCAA instituted overtime in 1996. So in 20 years I guess it could be possible. Has to be a reference to home OT though on the broadcast because they lost in OT at Eastern Washington in the playoffs in 2010.

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I was pretty sure they said home games ever, but 20+ years and no overtime home games still seems uncanny.
                "FARGO, N.D. — The first overtime game in the history of the Fargodome was settled on the first play when North Dakota State running back King Frazier scored on a 25-yard run."
                http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...0e299e681e188e

Comment

I believe the one announcer did say something like "at home." The accompanying graphic specified the Fargodome though.

Hopefully the Jacks get the job done convincingly in regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    The front seven on defense for CSU looked ever bit a DI team.
                    Absolutely. I'm not being mean here, but I think people are forgetting what 1st game FCS schools look like?

Charleston Southern looked every bit a contender, and top 5 team. Their defense was tremendous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      True. I don't have much interest in FCS football beyond the MVC. Do you really believe that was a true top-10 FCS team, though?

These early games on national tv probably don't do many favors for FCS football. The casual college football fan tuning in probably reinforces their DII/IAA mindset after watching for 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      As a voter in the most accurate "poll", AnyGivenSaturday.com, I can assure you that Chuck So. did a great job of warranting their top ten rating. Leading and losing in OT to the 5X National FCS champ, in the FargoDome, they could even move up in my (and other voters) ratings.

That was an exciting, tight game all the way through, much like last year's NDSU @ Montana match up. Good to see #1 or #2 Big South team come up for a challenging kick-off the season game. Couldn't ask for a better way to introduce FCS to the casual fan.

Comment

Working...
                      X