UND to Summit League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND to Summit League?

Looks like UND's athletics program suffered a pretty big monetary shortfall. Seeing how they are the eastern-most school in the Big Sky Conference, and that they have some pretty high travel costs, could the Fighting Hawks eye a move to the Summit League?

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spor...ce-affiliation
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: UND to Summit League?

Only if they were smart.

So not likely. =)

Comment

I would like to see UND back in conference

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Looks like UND's athletics program suffered a pretty big monetary shortfall. Seeing how they are the eastern-most school in the Big Sky Conference, and that they have some pretty high travel costs, could the Fighting Hawks eye a move to the Summit League?

www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/4095585-und-athletics-kennedy-re-examine-number-sports-conference-affiliation
        And they haven't added FCOA in all sports yet. No way cutting minor sports is going to get it done. Their only hope is for the BSC to allow FB only membership so they can ask to join the Summit in Olympic sports. The travel in the BSC has to be costing them a fortune. The only other choice they have is to cut Women's Hockey. That won't happen.

Comment

This would certainly tighten up the I-29 corridor a bit more with a 5th I-29 school in the Summit. The 10th team in the Summit Basketball would be a plus for scheduling. That 2 conference games would push the DII games off the schedule we have again this year. It would be a great place for the fighting hawks to land.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

In addition to the Summit, UND should lobby its way into the Missouri Valley football conference. The Mo Valley, like the Summit, could use additional teams. I'd welcome UND to both leagues.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Adding UND and another school to the MVFC could allow it to be split into two divisions, that could help cut down on travel costs for all schools... play five schools in your division, three in the other division and then have your guarantee/non-conference games.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Adding UND and another school to the MVFC could allow it to be split into two divisions, that could help cut down on travel costs for all schools... play five schools in your division, three in the other division and then have your guarantee/non-conference games.
                This would lead to wildly unbalanced schedules. We already get screwed every other year with having to play at NDSU and UNI in the same season, and the same goes for UNI play at our place and NDSU every other season. Now you're going to allow the eastern schools to be able to miss two of the three best schools every year while you have the three consistently top teams in the conference in one division? No thanks. We don't need to be the Big Sky and have 20 teams so half of them get to availed the top teams in the conference but win the auto bid. MVFC has enough teams if that's what is going to happen.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  In addition to the Summit, UND should lobby its way into the Missouri Valley football conference. The Mo Valley, like the Summit, could use additional teams. I'd welcome UND to both leagues.
                  I don't see why people think the MVFC needs more teams. Nobody is a threat to leave outside of maybe YSU, and if they leave, great. We get to do a real round robin again. NDSU isn't being picked up by a FBS conference anytime soon without major shifts to the FBS landscape because of market and geography. And if that major of a change happens, SDSU and UNI are likely getting calls as well. And even if we do end up losing YSU and NDSU, guess what? UND will still want and need to be in the MVFC. No need to add teams just to add teams.

Comment

Any why would we want to do that? I'm all for having UND in the Summit, but until someone leaves the MVFC I would rather keep it at one division.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      I don't see why people think the MVFC needs more teams. Nobody is a threat to leave outside of maybe YSU, and if they leave, great. We get to do a real round robin again. NDSU isn't being picked up by a FBS conference anytime soon without major shifts to the FBS landscape because of market and geography. And if that major of a change happens, SDSU and UNI are likely getting calls as well. And even if we do end up losing YSU and NDSU, guess what? UND will still want and need to be in the MVFC. No need to add teams just to add teams.
                      My guess is NDSU will announce move to BCS in next two years.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                        What conference is inviting them then?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          What conference is inviting them then?
                          I think NCAA sanctions are just as likely, to be honest.

Before anyone flies off the handle, both are complete speculation without any evidence whatsoever. One is as likely as the other.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

UND to Summit League?

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                            Expansion by the Big 12 will trickle down and NDSU will end up FBS. Not in a BSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              Expansion by the Big 12 will trickle down and NDSU will end up FBS. Not in a BSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Nah. In the end the Sun Belt will be the ones drawing teams up most likely. Really isn't going to be that big of an impact with the Big 12 grabbing two teams, especially if they grab BYU. The trickle down effect doesn't trickle real far with this movement. And why would you go anywhere less than the Mountain West honestly? With the new TV deals the Slum Belch and C USA got, you aren't getting barely any money out of it. Plus the Fargodome would need to be expanded. The capacity isn't at FBS levels. And the state of ND doesn't allow bonding like SD does. Plus they would need to most likely build a whole new stadium because cost wise expanding a dome is phenomenally expensive. Where does that $ come from? Add to it the budget problems the schools up there are facing having to make cuts at the moment and the Forum out for blood with the current administration at NDSU. Oh, and if they go to CUSA or the SB their travel gets INSANE. Unless they can get into the MAC (WAY out of the conference foot print) or the MWC (need a MAJOR shakeup for them to come calling) they're kinda stuck in no mans land.

Comment

Working...
                              X