Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 QB system?

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Yes, but rather is should be called "Flush" as in flush it down the f-ing toilet. I still have nightmares of someone's OLB coming unblocked around the left side and breaking up the up the middle/wildcat play on 4th & 1. I think it was the UNI game??? It was at CAS last season going in toward the north end zone. I called the play from the stands when the I saw QB coming off the field...and then that happened. The entire stadium including the opponent's defense knew what was coming. Where's my gun?
    Yep. Also, that was in the 4th quarter with time running out.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
      Yep. Also, that was in the 4th quarter with time running out.
      The flash worked during the playoff game with NDSU, two years ago in Fargo. I think we will keep the flush.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        The flash worked during the playoff game with NDSU, two years ago in Fargo. I think we will keep the flush.
        It needs to be retired
        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Yes, but rather is should be called "Flush" as in flush it down the f-ing toilet. I still have nightmares of someone's OLB coming unblocked around the left side and breaking up the up the middle/wildcat play on 4th & 1. I think it was the UNI game??? It was at CAS last season going in toward the north end zone. I called the play from the stands when the I saw QB coming off the field...and then that happened. The entire stadium including the opponent's defense knew what was coming. Where's my gun?
          Don't forget the play that cost them a bye and a home playoff game. Fumble against Western inside the 10 to go up big in the first half. Western takes the ball away and all the way down the field to score and completely turn the game around.

The flush in the playoff game was with the best RB in school history who was on a mission to finally take their nemesis down. He was a man possessed that day.

And unfortunately I guarantee we see it again this year.

Comment

I'm just happy we're discussing football again
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
              Don't forget the play that cost them a bye and a home playoff game. Fumble against Western inside the 10 to go up big in the first half. Western takes the ball away and all the way down the field to score and completely turn the game around.

The flush in the playoff game was with the best RB in school history who was on a mission to finally take their nemesis down. He was a man possessed that day.

And unfortunately I guarantee we see it again this year.
              It can work in the right time and place, but I don't recall what happened the UNI game, which is not to say that this play turnout to be an abortion, but that game was very closely matched. I dont think it was just that one play that cost us the game. If we had executed perfectly in the other three quarters, the game would have been out of reach at that point. It takes a Zenner to execute every play.

Comment

It takes a Zenner to execute every play.
                That's really the problem actually. We had so much success with it when Zenner ran it. They figured the next RB could run it just as well. I think they're missing the fact that Zenner made that play work when everyone knew it was coming, not the scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  That's really the problem actually. We had so much success with it when Zenner ran it. They figured the next RB could run it just as well. I think they're missing the fact that Zenner made that play work when everyone knew it was coming, not the scheme.
                  There were multiple times last year where the play worked schematically, but the ball carrier didn't read the blocks correctly. When it comes to Zenner, it's easy to think of his power and speed, but he really was at an elite level when it came to reading blocks. You can't just plug-in-play Zach's old role. He was just too special of a talent.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Stig will tell you, and the video supports him, that had the players carried out their blocking assignments during the UNI game, the flash would have been successful. Hey, I groaned with everyone else when the play failed and second guessing ruled the day. That's the deal with second-guessing, we presume that another play would have worked because we are all experts when something doesn't work. In the end, the players need to make the plays.

Comment

I would guess its success rate is higher than some here are giving it credit for.

IMO, it is a little like field goal kicking. The formation is different, and it is used in key situations. It is easy for fans to see, and easy to know when it fails. You don't stop kicking field goals because you missed a game winner, we shouldn't stop running the wildcat (within reason) because it cost us a game. We wouldn't have had the success we have had without it.

My biggest problem with wildcat is that it is a little crazy we have never passed out of it that I can recall. IMO, that wrinkle/threat would help increase its effectiveness/unpredictability in key situations.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        Stig will tell you, and the video supports him, that had the players carried out their blocking assignments during the UNI game, the flash would have been successful. Hey, I groaned with everyone else when the play failed and second guessing ruled the day. That's the deal with second-guessing, we presume that another play would have worked because we are all experts when something doesn't work. In the end, the players need to make the plays.
                        Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so, yeah, I'm an expert.

You will never get me to believe that the Flush is a good idea. Sure, blocking needs to be executed but when you pull the QB out or line him up wide the defense knows what is up and they don't have to respect the pass. It worked for us with Zenner who is an NFL running back. Now, it is part of our scheme and we don't have a Zenner running the ball. The first part of curing any addiction is admitting you have a problem. The coaches need to admit their addiction to the Flush and move on.

I am also in the camp that is happy to be talking about football.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                          Hopefully that is true of every play they run. The problem with the way the Jacks run the package is that there are no options off the play to keep the defense guessing what is coming. There may be a choice about which gap to hit, but the defense still knows what is coming. Christion is a good enough runner that he could run the package which would throw the option of a pass in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            Well, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so, yeah, I'm an expert.

You will never get me to believe that the Flush is a good idea. Sure, blocking needs to be executed but when you pull the QB out or line him up wide the defense knows what is up and they don't have to respect the pass. It worked for us with Zenner who is an NFL running back. Now, it is part of our scheme and we don't have a Zenner running the ball. The first part of curing any addiction is admitting you have a problem. The coaches need to admit their addiction to the Flush and move on.

I am also in the camp that is happy to be talking about football.

SUPERBUNNY
                            I did not know that our coaches had a flushing problem. I hope you are speaking of football planning and not bathrooms.

Comment

I did not know that our coaches had a flushing problem. I hope you are speaking of football planning and not bathrooms.
                              Nidaros, your typo created the alternate name for Flash formation (see Post #17), and I think opponents of this formation are much happier with the new description.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                                Nidaros, your typo created the alternate name for Flash formation (see Post #17), and I think opponents of this formation are much happier with the new description.
                                Flush/flash makes no difference

Comment

Working...
                                X