Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by goon View Post
    It seems previous years that some students or groups had their own tailgating spot in the back yard, but most of the rest of students were in the parking lot by the hper and wellness center green space. to me it seems like that would be ideal. Does the tailgating go all the way back too hiway 14? otherwise it seems like it might be crowded any way if its just in the area behind the indoor facility.
    The tailgate area does not go clear north to 14 there is a parking area in between, maybe since construction will be slowing down they will be adding grass there and more tailgate lots
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
      I've been to a ton of Big 10 games. They don't seem to have any issues at all. If you go to the Iowa board no one is talking about unruly fans or people standing up cheering at games being a problem. I just don't get it. Maybe a family area that is segregated from the fun people is the answer?
      The family area is the backyard. The "fun people" already have their own, seperate lot.

I'll try to put in terms a Big Time Football Fan might understand:

Big dollar donors paid for tailgating space they couldn't use during the biggest games last year. Even worse, property was damaged. If these people complained (I'm certain they did, because I know a few of them and they were PISSED), it is a problem that a smart athletic department will address.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Never mind I'll just stay home and have a few beers and stand up and cheer in my living room.

Comment

They should have more permanent student spots that are sponsored by fraternities, sororities and other student groups / friend groups like the Backyard is setup. Let the students create something and take pride in their spaces. The student area needs to be more entertaining than the Backyard, otherwise they will continue to migrate there. It's a fear of missing out thing. They will continue to follow the larger group.

The need to make the student area a spectacle! There lawn game tournaments, sumo wrestling in those big suits, human Foosball, and things of that nature. Create tournaments that students can participate in to win gift certificates or prizes from the book store. Maybe have complete seasons of events that coincide with the home football games so students are encouraged to return every game. If they can make the student area more of an event, I feel they will generate larger crowds to that area, and keep the students there. They need to provide a proper space for this however. A well designed tailgate area is no different that a well designed park, campground, or planned community. They should consult with the Landscape Architect of the stadium project and see what they can offer. The tailgate area is essentially a small community for 6 Saturdays a year.

Comment

This reminds me of the argument from the people that sit all game and are upset when others stand up and cheer in front of them. It's a game people. It's supposed to be fun. There will be alcohol consumed and a some behavior that may or may not offend you. If this is too much then have a picnic in your backyard before the game or don't tailgate at all. I'm going to stand up and cheer and I may have a few adult beverages when I tailgate. If I can't do either then I may as well just stay home and watch the game on TV.
            You're so wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

I was one of the voices opposed to the strictness of the regulations after the first year of tailgating when things got out of hand with the students. I regret complaining about it. Last year was dangerous for all involved and SDSU is very lucky that someone wasn't seriously injured. I can provide plenty of details but they simply aren't necessary. It was not a safe or fun environment.

Now, this all occurred right in front of our site and likely impacted only 10-15 tailgate sites. That said, its not acceptable and has to change.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Never mind I'll just stay home and have a few beers and stand up and cheer in my living room.
              You can't actually be this thick, right?
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by LARabbit View Post
                They should have more permanent student spots that are sponsored by fraternities, sororities and other student groups / friend groups like the Backyard is setup. Let the students create something and take pride in their spaces. The student area needs to be more entertaining than the Backyard, otherwise they will continue to migrate there. It's a fear of missing out thing. They will continue to follow the larger group.

The need to make the student area a spectacle! There lawn game tournaments, sumo wrestling in those big suits, human Foosball, and things of that nature. Create tournaments that students can participate in to win gift certificates or prizes from the book store. Maybe have complete seasons of events that coincide with the home football games so students are encouraged to return every game. If they can make the student area more of an event, I feel they will generate larger crowds to that area, and keep the students there. They need to provide a proper space for this however. A well designed tailgate area is no different that a well designed park, campground, or planned community. They should consult with the Landscape Architect of the stadium project and see what they can offer. The tailgate area is essentially a small community for 6 Saturdays a year.
                I was thinking those things too. Make it set up to get kids to have fun there and drink there. Do a raffel or prizes or something, a drawing and get free hobo dough.....also plenty of porta potties. I agree, have the student council, or student groupds like you said fraternities etc help sponor it and make it fun. make it an event.

We are planning to come up and tailgate for the first game, really looking forward too it.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  This is quite a bit different then people standing vs. sitting at the games. I'm fine with people drinking and having fun. I love tailgating for the chance to catch up with friends, enjoy good food, and drink. It is when damage starts happening to personal property (vehicles, tents, grilsl) and people are scared for their own safety and the safety of their kids. I heard from a friend that they will not be renewing their tailgating spot regardless because of last years incidents. They had an expereince where two drunk students were pissing all over their car doors in broad daylight. If this is acceptable to you then you clearly have a lower set of standards at Augie.
                  Only individuals I have to worry about is the Tailgating Crew "West" of our spot who steals power from our Generator.

Comment

haha thanks again!
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Tailgating info came today in the mail. Some changes to the policies but nothing drastic. I think they have tried to curtail some issues from last year. These policies will be posted on stadium website in the future.

Comment

I've been to a ton of Big 10 games. They don't seem to have any issues at all. If you go to the Iowa board no one is talking about unruly fans or people standing up cheering at games being a problem. I just don't get it. Maybe a family area that is segregated from the fun people is the answer?
                        Tailgating at Iowa is a completely different experience. A lot of the tailgating is done in the neighborhoods surrounding Kinnick. The on campus/lot tailgating is also spread out over multiple lots. There is also a large police force cracking down on open containers and public intox over the past 3 years.

If you think throwing full, or even empty cans, of beer in the air, in a crowd is acceptable, I would prefer you don't show up to a SDSU game.

If the students continue to cause problems, UPD and BPD will need to start a crack down. Some alumni will probably get swept up in the sting (for lack of a better word), but what I saw at Hobo Day last year is unacceptable.

It would be good for the Student association to get one or two lots on the outer edge of the backyard. That would give students access to the backyard, and might keep them in one area and away from the 'paying' customers (student association should pay something for those lots).
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

I am curious to see how the wrist bands will be handled I am a responsible adult so why do I need to go find someone to give me a wristband so I can have a beer. Also going to make it very difficult for opposing teams to venture into the tailgating lot as they will not know what the expectations are. I for one invite all opposing team representatives to my tailgate to show some hospitality and have fun it has been one of the best parts of tailgating in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                            I am curious to see how the wrist bands will be handled I am a responsible adult so why do I need to go find someone to give me a wristband so I can have a beer. Also going to make it very difficult for opposing teams to venture into the tailgating lot as they will not know what the expectations are. I for one invite all opposing team representatives to my tailgate to show some hospitality and have fun it has been one of the best parts of tailgating in the past.
                            Are they actually doing the wristbands? I thought that was just a suggestion made in this thread. They absolutely shouldn't do that.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

My packet didn't say anything about wristbands. However, it was a rumbling I heard on campus about an idea that was being kicked around.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                My packet didn't say anything about wristbands. However, it was a rumbling I heard on campus about an idea that was being kicked around.
                                Look at the bottom of the revised policy points 2 and 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X