Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
    I don't tailgate. I say sell the beer on site. Let's say $10.00 for a bottle of beer. Use the profits for Cost of Attendence

Perfect, and you just drove away a lot of people that tailgate

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      Good

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        or buy them by the case, just have a truck load of 30 packs.......so 10 bucks a beer......300 for a case sounds about right.
        I have mistaken a joke of yours for being serious before, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume you're joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Good
          I'm all for preventing large crowds of drunken kids ending up doing stupid things due to mob mentality, but other than that, is there really a problem? It almost sounds like some people should find a different spot to tailgate if they are going to be so particular about how people tailgate.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            I'm all for preventing large crowds of drunken kids ending up doing stupid things due to mob mentality, but other than that, is there really a problem? It almost sounds like some people should find a different spot to tailgate if they are going to be so particular about how people tailgate.
            I don't tailgate. I just thought my terse reply fitted Mango's comment. I am sure they will work it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              If you need to get half ripped to enjoy good football, might as well stay away.

Comment

Agreed. You shouldn't do anything half-assed. Either get completely ripped or don't drink at all.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

That's not what I even came close to saying. People go tailgate before games. With that comes enjoying great food and a few beers with friends. If you think they are going to do that while paying $10 for a beer when they were able to bring their own beer in in the past, it's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    Agreed. You shouldn't do anything half-assed. Either get completely ripped or don't drink at all.
                    Your talking about yours truly now. For the past four or five decades, its been don't drink at all. I never was half-assed drunk in my entire life. I was drunk.!!!!!! I really hate to think what it would have been like if students had tailgated back in the early 1960's. It was an activity unheard of. Seems like space would not have been an issue back then
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 08-06-2016, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Another question I have is about having supporters of other teams know these rules and allowing them in the Backyard how is that going to work?

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                        Another question I have is about having supporters of other teams know these rules and allowing them in the Backyard how is that going to work?
                        If the UPD or a fan sees someone they believe should be wearing a wristband, they will direct them to a wristband station. I have had this experience many times myself at various events. No big deal - as long as UPD is nice about it.

Wristbands are widely used as a means of underage identification and crowd control at MANY events nationwide, including many small town street dances across South Dakota. This isn't that big of a deal, IMO.

If you are a 50 year old fan sitting in a tailgate spot drinking beer without a wristband, the likelihood of having a problem is slim to none. If you are a 24 year old aimlessly wandering around the backyard with a case of Busch Light without a wristband, the odds of an interaction with UPD increase dramatically.

I do believe this is a step toward alcohol sales in the backyard. Why not have vendors next to the wristbanding stations selling beer? There are those (myself included) who would rather pay for a couple beers at a wristbanding station instead of dealing with the hassle of going to a store and buying beer, dragging a cooler to the game, running the cooler back to my car in a different lot before kickoff, etc.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Bottom line is that it is good that something serious is being done to prevent a recurrence of some of the events last year.

It is probably good to remember that the Board of Regents hasn't been a fan of tailgating from day one and if given the opportunity would probably move to ban it altogether. So, the moves by SDSU, the AD, and UPD might be overkill but if that is what it takes then thumbs up.

Dealing with a few individuals who get out of control is not a problem. The mob scene last year was a serious problem. Thumbs up for taking it on.

Tailgating has become a big part of game day and has been a very positive thing save a few incidents. It is something my friends and I look forward to but we also keep things under control. If it weren't for the overall gameday experience half of our group would not be at the game.

SF_Rabbit_Fan's last paragraph above is interesting where he prognosticates that it is a step to alcohol being sold at tailgating. That could very well be but I see it as an option and not the only way to get alcohol. He has a valid point in the ease of it but I don't know of anywhere that the only way to get it is to buy it in the tailgating yard. Just my $.02.

FYI - If you haven't been to the new stadium yet, it is simply incredible. It is just hard to believe that it belongs to Jackrabbit Nation. Can't wait for the Jackrabbit Bash and going to games!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I'm not a prude but I've witnessed far too many young people who were absolutely drunk in the tailgate area. Many go to the tailgate area with the idea of getting drunk. They embarrassed themselves and don't shed a positive light on the whole idea of tailgating. The university is wise to get a handle on the situation now and not wait for an ugly incident to prompt a major change.

Comment

I think selling beer in the backyard could be a good idea, but not if they would have to contain the area where it is consumed - like a beer garden. I would be for it if they could get around that and people could walk about freely. How does that work at street dances when they sell beer, but people also bring their own?

Comment

Also, they should have some food options. Food trucks would be great, or some concession areas in the backyard. I would think they could make a good deal on concessions before the game even started.

It would be nice if they could provide tailgating spots for rent on a game by game basis. Equip it with a seating, a cooler, table, grill, and have a "menu" of tailgating options that can be available or allow them to bring their own. I think a lot of people would be interested in tailgating, but maybe don't have the setup or can't do it the entire season. I feel this could be a good way to grow the tailgating crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X