Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

The packet I received stated anyone consuming alchohol will need to obtain a wristband with a valid ID at a wristband station. The other major changes are now only one vehicle will be allowed to park in a Backyard tailgating space. You would still receive several parking passes but one vehicle will park in the actual tailgating spot and all other vehicles will park in the parking lot north of the Backyard. Also, no one will be allowed to drive into the Backyard within 2 hours of kickoff.
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

This all makes sense to me especially about vehicles. Not a good idea to drive in these areas 2 hours before kick off. Wrist bands? I do have a problem grasping the purpose of this except to prevent under age consumption which might keep the First Bank and Trust tent in tact for the season. I suspect those guilty last year were very underage. Some-one a semester or two away from the sheepskin, is unlikely to do those kind of things. Always exceptions though.

Comment

I just called the ticket office to reserve our tailgating spot again this year. I was told that there will be wristband stations set up in the tailgating areas for those wanting to consume alcohol. The comment was made that this is mostly in response to being able to monitor the students.

Comment

Wristband stations new this year. ALSO NEW THIS YEAR..... Full physical including urine test and blood test. Background check. A nutritionist will be on site to inspect all food for safety. Mental health evaluations. Mechanics on site will be going over your vehicle to make sure it is fit for tailgating. Law enforcement will be performing full body searches. Brookings Fire Department will be inspecting all grills and propane tanks. That is a start. More regulations to come. I can't wait for tailgating. Sounds like a blast!

Comment

Wristband thing is beyond dumb. Can't wait to wait in line for that ****.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              That might work if you were actually buying the beer in the tailgating area, but when you bring their own? And if you have a 12 oz.can in a coozie, it's pretty hard to tell if it's a Mountain Dew or a Bud Light. And it's easy to see a wristband if it's 80 degrees and everyone is in short sleeves, but what about when it's 40 and everyone is wearing coats and gloves ? Lots of issues here.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                No different than in the Denny for the Summit League tournament, I would think--the concept isn't bad (if not annoying). Execution is the key. You're probably correct in the assumption that the wristband station will undoubtedly be severely understaffed (or will run out of wristbands, or . . .) unless things have changed more than I think they have around there.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  No different than in the Denny for the Summit League tournament, I would think--the concept isn't bad (if not annoying). Execution is the key. You're probably correct in the assumption that the wristband station will undoubtedly be severely understaffed (or will run out of wristbands, or . . .) unless things have changed more than I think they have around there.
                  I agree - the concept is good.

The difference here is that you can't bring your own beverages into the Denny. I've been to several community events (Oahe Days, etc.) where they have the wristband stations and you have to have a wristband to buy alcohol. Again, those are instances where you can't bring your own alcohol. Reading the tea leaves.....is this where tailgating is headed? One can drink alcohol, but it must be purchased on-site?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

The difference here is that you can't bring your own beverages into the Denny. I've been to several community events (Oahe Days, etc.) where they have the wristband stations and you have to have a wristband to buy alcohol. Again, those are instances where you can't bring your own alcohol. Reading the tea leaves.....is this where tailgating is headed? One can drink alcohol, but it must be purchased on-site?
                    It's boils down to ownership and property rights. If you must have private party,have it at home. That way you can get sh@t faced drunk and wreck your own furniture and not that of First Bank and trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

There's no way it will come to having to purchase alcohol on site. I'm thinking a group of people sat in a room and tried to figure out the best way to try to get students to not gather in large crowds in the tailgating area. The best idea they could come up with is to try to keep the illegal drinkers out of that area so they would find another place to go. As filbert said, execution is the key. I would hope that they would treat it like buying alcohol in a store or bar where if you're obviously over 21, usually no one is going to bother you. If the UPD cracks down on it the first couple games, I think it will be successful in getting the underage drinkers to find another place to party, which should get rid of the large rambunctious crowds.

I think they should have a designated student tailgate area where students can have sites but don't have to pay for them and can set up whatever they want. When the tailgating area was larger, the students generally stayed toward the back area, and there weren't the issues they have been having since they downsized the tailgating area. I know at Nebraska games there's one lot where the students generally go and it's very rowdy there, but at the other lots it's how tailgating should be. I know SDSU attempted to have an area for students last year, but I don't think it was done well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        And if you have a 12 oz.can in a coozie, it's pretty hard to tell if it's a Mountain Dew or a Bud Light.
                        Unless they are color blind that would be a pretty easy distinction to make.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          Unless they are color blind that would be a pretty easy distinction to make.
                          maybe pepsi would have been a better example.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            There's no way it will come to having to purchase alcohol on site. I'm thinking a group of people sat in a room and tried to figure out the best way to try to get students to not gather in large crowds in the tailgating area. The best idea they could come up with is to try to keep the illegal drinkers out of that area so they would find another place to go. As filbert said, execution is the key. I would hope that they would treat it like buying alcohol in a store or bar where if you're obviously over 21, usually no one is going to bother you. If the UPD cracks down on it the first couple games, I think it will be successful in getting the underage drinkers to find another place to party, which should get rid of the large rambunctious crowds.

I think they should have a designated student tailgate area where students can have sites but don't have to pay for them and can set up whatever they want. When the tailgating area was larger, the students generally stayed toward the back area, and there weren't the issues they have been having since they downsized the tailgating area. I know at Nebraska games there's one lot where the students generally go and it's very rowdy there, but at the other lots it's how tailgating should be. I know SDSU attempted to have an area for students last year, but I don't think it was done well.
                            I don't tailgate. I say sell the beer on site. Let's say $10.00 for a bottle of beer. Use the profits for Cost of Attendence

Comment

Does anyone know if they are changing the layout of the tailgating area? do you guys think some sponsors are going to pull out of the backyard and pre game in the stadium club rooms and suites?
                              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                                I don't tailgate. I say sell the beer on site. Let's say $10.00 for a bottle of beer. Use the profits for Cost of Attendence
                                or buy them by the case, just have a truck load of 30 packs.......so 10 bucks a beer......300 for a case sounds about right.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X