Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgating

Any word on the plan for tailgating this season. The ticket office has been pretty quiet about getting us the information for our reserved spots. I hope they don't change it this late we have made some upgrades for the coming season.

Re: Tailgating

I stopped in on Monday and they were still waiting for the final plan from campus leadership. He was sure that there would be tailgating this year similiar to past years. However, they are still trying to figure out what to do with the students because of the incidents from last year. I have heard the idea of wristbanding everyone so they can ID the plus 21 crowd. I have heard the idea of keeping the students in the Frost lot, but there is no way to enforce this and they clearly want to be in the backyard.

My suggestion... Just give the students four connected spots in the backyard. Load their spots with porta pottys because that seems to be where they like to congregate. Offer free food and provide free pop. Actually have UPD enforce some rules and keep the students out of the road. The only problem with this plan, who wants to have the four student spots adjacent to their spot?

I remember when I was a student and we were able to just drive in and pay $5. It's awesome that tailgating has evolved so much and has become such a big deal and part of the game day experience. However, Athletics/Admin has really flubbed up on listenting to what the students want in regards to tailgating. When I was SA president, I fought hard so that students still had the right to be in the backyard. At that time Mike Reger wanted to ban students from the backyard completely. Hopefully they can get it figured out soon and we can all enjoy our gameday experience!
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      I stopped in on Monday and they were still waiting for the final plan from campus leadership. He was sure that there would be tailgating this year similiar to past years. However, they are still trying to figure out what to do with the students because of the incidents from last year. I have heard the idea of wristbanding everyone so they can ID the plus 21 crowd. I have heard the idea of keeping the students in the Frost lot, but there is no way to enforce this and they clearly want to be in the backyard.

My suggestion... Just give the students four connected spots in the backyard. Load their spots with porta pottys because that seems to be where they like to congregate. Offer free food and provide free pop. Actually have UPD enforce some rules and keep the students out of the road. The only problem with this plan, who wants to have the four student spots adjacent to their spot?

I remember when I was a student and we were able to just drive in and pay $5. It's awesome that tailgating has evolved so much and has become such a big deal and part of the game day experience. However, Athletics/Admin has really flubbed up on listenting to what the students want in regards to tailgating. When I was SA president, I fought hard so that students still had the right to be in the backyard. At that time Mike Reger wanted to ban students from the backyard completely. Hopefully they can get it figured out soon and we can all enjoy our gameday experience!
      What kind of incidents where their last year?
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        What kind of incidents where their last year?
        A few:

1-Beer cans being thrown and giant crowds gathering
        2-Taking over lots that influential fans have paid good money for.
        3-Taking over and trashing the First Bank and Trust tent.

I have had the opinion for a long time that a fence should be put up and a game ticket should be required to enter the backyard. Tailgate in other areas if you don't plan on attending the game or are a student.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just a couple thoughts:

IMO tailgating and the game are 2 separate events. I've never understood why people want to limit tailgating to only people that have tickets? Don't we want crowds of people to show up to add to the game day experience?

The students are what make game day game day! Walking around in their crazy attire and youthful enthusiasm. Yes there will be bumps in the road that cause us older generation some discomfort but I for 1 would hate to lose them if we go to far and drive them off.

Comment

You really do have to strike a balance. Don't want to drive students away, but there definitely needs to be something done vs. last year and previous years. Glad I don't have to figure anything out or make decisions.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              You really do have to strike a balance. Don't want to drive students away, but there definitely needs to be something done vs. last year and previous years. Glad I don't have to figure anything out or make decisions.
              I agree there needs to be a balance. Things have changed in the backyard it has gotten smaller and there certainly isn't less a population of fans in the backyard. When I was in school we had lots of room clear on the north end by the trees to have our own spots I don't recall any major issues of groups of kids destroying the alum tents due the separation. Now I was more that to play bags or darts in a lot that hang out in just drink but I always had a good time and that's why me and my friends all come back. The 1st issues I remember as a student is the closing of the backyard prior to the game, which I understood, but not all students agreed and things did get rowdy.
              I think the problem is the students do not have a place to go so they find a area where they can gather it just happens to be next to the porta potties where there is a open area in the middle of the alumni oh and get free food at alum tent. I like west sides idea of making an area where the students can actually tailgate not just stand around and drink. You can put them at the edge of the tailgating area. If they are in an area where they are not bothered I don't think there will be many issues, But I'm not sure if segreging them some where else will work.

Its unfortunate that we have run out of room to the north because we do need some parking. And know one wants park and walk around the stadium.
              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

A few years ago when the students were tailgating by the Hper and wellness center open areas. It looked like a house party got trashed and no one cared to clean it up. About a million red solo cups just covering the parking long and grass. Seems to me having an area tailgating students in the back might "look" better then having them trash the whole place. When we have tailgated we were just in the paved lots sitting on the tailgate having a few beers, it was pretty tame over there but sure seemed packed in the backyard area. To bad the softball field isnt next to the baseball field.

It seems like having a student area would be better then them crowding out the alumni/non student area.

We have talked about how we should come up for tailgating more this year since our kids are getting older and can function much better with out naps. But thats the concern. Keeping it family friendly is a priority for us if we do. Not that I mind my kids being around people drinking, but how many and how big the crowds are. Groups tailgating and hanging out drinking or grillin, no problem, thousands of students everywhere and throwing beer cans, not so much.

Does the tailgating go back to the 14 bypass? or is that to low or crappy to set up as tailgating? Could have them on the wellness green space, or north of the softball field, to bad cant use sexuer field....assuming thats still a wasted space on campus and hasnt turned into a new dorm yet.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Just a couple thoughts:

IMO tailgating and the game are 2 separate events. I've never understood why people want to limit tailgating to only people that have tickets? Don't we want crowds of people to show up to add to the game day experience?

The students are what make game day game day! Walking around in their crazy attire and youthful enthusiasm. Yes there will be bumps in the road that cause us older generation some discomfort but I for 1 would hate to lose them if we go to far and drive them off.
                  You are definitely entitled to you opinion.

With that being said, I would be pretty upset if I couldn't use my tailgating spot for Hobo Day and/or NDSU because it was overrun with drunk college kids.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    A few:

I have had the opinion for a long time that a fence should be put up and a game ticket should be required to enter the backyard. Tailgate in other areas if you don't plan on attending the game or are a student.
                    Van and Bob Fishback are not known to complain, and they certainly did not complain to me on my many visits to First Bank and Trust, but privately I am sure both were disappointed as was the CEO Kevin Tetzleff. Young people and spirits are not a good mixture, and some balance needs to be struck. Individual responsibility goes out the window when the crowd forms. I stopped going near the backyard long time ago. What goes on back there is not my personal concern until some fool T-bones me on the way home.
                    I like the idea of proof of a game ticket for admittance to backyard, which would be a student ID for students but would it be proof that they would later be attending the game? As much as I hate to see over reaching by the UPD, they have a very important function to preform at these events.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      A few:

This is accurate. Changes are necessary. I'm all for fun but it was dangerous and out of control several times last year. I don't have a clear solution other than to say I'd like the students to have their "own area"....whatever that means.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        This is accurate. Changes are necessary. I'm all for fun but it was dangerous and out of control several times last year. I don't have a clear solution other than to say I'd like the students to have their "own area"....whatever that means.
                        Like normal I'll add my $0.02. Last year they made a separate area for students, it wasn't utilized. and yes hobo day was out of control. but in a BAD way.

Comment

I enjoy a good time as much as the next guy, but reading through this thread makes the root cause of all of these "problems" fairly obvious.

Comment

Tailgating

Banning all students is not the answer, as many of them are tailgating with friends and family.

Also, not all students were responsible, it was a small minority of idiots who caused problems.

I would suggest to not allow large groups to congregate outside of the designated lots.

Enforcement may be difficult. There is no easy solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post

I would suggest to not allow large groups to congregate outside of the designated lots.

Enforcement may be difficult. There is no easy solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I agree! Just keep them from congregating in the road. UPD has to find a balance.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X