Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
    Banning all students is not the answer, as many of them are tailgating with friends and family.

Also, not all students were responsible, it was a small minority of idiots who caused problems.

I would suggest to not allow large groups to congregate outside of the designated lots.

Enforcement may be difficult. There is no easy solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its called getting lost in the crowd. I stated this before and will again. Individually most of these alleged trouble makers are probably pretty good people. Who knows probably distinguished alumni, but a few beers and in a crowd, all good common sense goes out the window and stupidity takes over. This should be a major topic during student orientation, but again, would everyone listen? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Its called getting lost in the crowd. I stated this before and will again. Individually most of these alleged trouble makers are probably pretty good people. Who knows probably distinguished alumni, but a few beers and in a crowd, all good common sense goes out the window and stupidity takes over. This should be a major topic during student orientation, but again, would everyone listen? Probably not.
      I'm no expert, but from what I've read it wouldn't matter if it was covered at orientation and everyone listened. Humans are animals, herd mentality sets in and combined with the inhibition-lowering effects of alcohol all bets are off.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I'm no expert, but from what I've read it wouldn't matter if it was covered at orientation and everyone listened. Humans are animals, herd mentality sets in and combined with the inhibition-lowering effects of alcohol all bets are off.
        Then it's up to UPD to deal with this herd mentality. Maybe those concealed carry guys can help out as volunteers

Comment

All that had to happen is for some leading group of students to make a different area "cool" to hang out honestly. I've tailgated a lot of places and the students want nothing to do with the old people, myself included, unless that is the place to be. More effort to develop tailgating in other lots rather than simply the backyard is the best option. Spread it out and avoid that and the students will create their own area away from the adults.

I also don't have any real answers. I'm likely talking BS and they've already thought of this
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The culture of binge celebration must be addressed by the administration. Having fun is one thing, protecting yourself or others is of greatest importance. Our last Hobo Days was vs NDSU. While we were in the parking lot, a young, very inebriated lady carrying a fifth of something, walked into our car. No damage to us, not sure about her. The real scary part was that on the back of her whitish jacket, someone had obviously Magic Marked in the words "f--k me". One of the great differences between my time and now is that alcohol does not excuse bad behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
              The culture of binge celebration must be addressed by the administration. Having fun is one thing, protecting yourself or others is of greatest importance. Our last Hobo Days was vs NDSU. While we were in the parking lot, a young, very inebriated lady carrying a fifth of something, walked into our car. No damage to us, not sure about her. The real scary part was that on the back of her whitish jacket, someone had obviously Magic Marked in the words "f--k me". One of the great differences between my time and now is that alcohol does not excuse bad behavior.
              There are people who will be locked for the rest of lives because some act of violence while under influence of alcohol. Some students may think they can get away with unacceptable behavior, but they do not. I have no idea how long it's been since you where a student, but the current ones are no different than those who left campus in 1965 such as myself, and yes I partied until I puked, was damn lucky I never got caught. I was totally unaware of the Backyard incidents until I read about them in this thread. I would agree the admin needs to step up and deal with intoxicated rowdys in a swift manner.

Comment

This isn't church, it's tailgating. Let's not take the fun out of it. There are always a few that have too many and cross the line but let's not turn this into a church picnic. It's supposed to be fun people.

Comment

IMO the only option is to have UPD break up the large group that forms at the porta pots. Maybe move some of the tailgates that are in that area and see if the students follow.

Comment

This reminds me of the argument from the people that sit all game and are upset when others stand up and cheer in front of them. It's a game people. It's supposed to be fun. There will be alcohol consumed and a some behavior that may or may not offend you. If this is too much then have a picnic in your backyard before the game or don't tailgate at all. I'm going to stand up and cheer and I may have a few adult beverages when I tailgate. If I can't do either then I may as well just stay home and watch the game on TV.

Comment

Do they have activities, like tailgating games, bean bags, monkey balls or what ever people call that ladder game.....have a crap load(pardon the pun) porta potties in the green space by the wellness center, have a DJ or some music playing, stuff to do. If they tried that and it didnt work, then, i am out of ideas.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
                        This reminds me of the argument from the people that sit all game and are upset when others stand up and cheer in front of them. It's a game people. It's supposed to be fun. There will be alcohol consumed and a some behavior that may or may not offend you. If this is too much then have a picnic in your backyard before the game or don't tailgate at all. I'm going to stand up and cheer and I may have a few adult beverages when I tailgate. If I can't do either then I may as well just stay home and watch the game on TV.
                        This is quite a bit different then people standing vs. sitting at the games. I'm fine with people drinking and having fun. I love tailgating for the chance to catch up with friends, enjoy good food, and drink. It is when damage starts happening to personal property (vehicles, tents, grilsl) and people are scared for their own safety and the safety of their kids. I heard from a friend that they will not be renewing their tailgating spot regardless because of last years incidents. They had an expereince where two drunk students were pissing all over their car doors in broad daylight. If this is acceptable to you then you clearly have a lower set of standards at Augie.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Do they have activities, like tailgating games, bean bags, monkey balls or what ever people call that ladder game.....have a crap load(pardon the pun) porta potties in the green space by the wellness center, have a DJ or some music playing, stuff to do. If they tried that and it didnt work, then, i am out of ideas.
                          They tried it last year to some extent, but it was in the gravel area to the west of the backyard. Students want to be in the backyard for a variety of reasons. I'm just not sure how athletics can accomidate that.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
                            We may have a different opinion of what fun is. I guess I go by the idea that if my grandparents wanted to go tailgating or If i wanted to bring my young kids, that they can have fun there too. Not just drunks who cross the line. People drinking and having fun is onething, but throwing beer cans or other things that happen, not sure thats fun for my family. I am not taking them to a college keger, its a sporting event, there still should be some basic standards of respect and behavior. The games that we have been up to tailgate for in the past were fine, we didnt have any issues or anything that I would have had problems with, but I wasnt there were things got a little crowded and out of hand.

Often people in front of us who stand and cheer about every single game, apologize to us for standing or blocking our view because its easier to sit when your holding kids then to stand and sit etc as the game goes. most are really considerate and we usually apologize for our kids probably annoying them during the game. WE havent had a situation at anything SDSU event we have had our kids at. We bring them to as many as we can. But trying to keep things from getting out of hand, I dont see how thats a bad thing.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              They tried it last year to some extent, but it was in the gravel area to the west of the backyard. Students want to be in the backyard for a variety of reasons. I'm just not sure how athletics can accomidate that.
                              It seems previous years that some students or groups had their own tailgating spot in the back yard, but most of the rest of students were in the parking lot by the hper and wellness center green space. to me it seems like that would be ideal. Does the tailgating go all the way back too hiway 14? otherwise it seems like it might be crowded any way if its just in the area behind the indoor facility.

Comment

I've been to a ton of Big 10 games. They don't seem to have any issues at all. If you go to the Iowa board no one is talking about unruly fans or people standing up cheering at games being a problem. I just don't get it. Maybe a family area that is segregated from the fun people is the answer?

Comment

Working...
                                X