Schrage gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Schrage gone

Fine by me. He was under .500 in his tenure with the Jacks. In fact, he's under .500 in his 28 year tenure as a coach. Next up...
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Fine by me. He was under .500 in his tenure with the Jacks. In fact, he's under .500 in his 28 year tenure as a coach. Next up...
      I remembered when he was hired there was all this excitement. I looked at his results and, well, let's just say I was under-welmed.

Comment

I think the 2 before him where the ones who did the most for SDSU baseball. Seems Scrages tenure was mostly treading water, didnt really see them getting much better. Not like they were any worse either. Pretty much everyone is going for 2nd place behind ORU most years.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yeah, agree with others on this. Program has been treading water since he got here, I think we need another young and hungry coach.

Comment

I suppose it is coincidence that resignation comes so close to June 30. Did Schrage sign next years contract or was there no contract to sign? Unanswered questions, but based on W-L record you wonder. Coach was very uptight in those last games with NDSU, like something was really bothering him.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I suppose it is coincidence that resignation comes so close to June 30. Did Schrage sign next years contract or was there no contract to sign? Unanswered questions, but based on W-L record you wonder. Coach was very uptight in those last games with NDSU, like something was really bothering him.
              I don't think it's a stretch to think that maybe there wasn't going to be a new contract to sign and it's not a stretch to think he'd leave the Jacks for Butler.

What gets me is how you can look at his career results and get really excited. He just might be the Jeff Fisher of college baseball.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/7-st...hing-record-is

It seems we've been pretty not bad the past few years.

Comment

Say what you will about Dave's record, it's very hard for a team as far north as SDSU to have a great baseball program. His strength is probably more as a manager. I'm convinced that without him we don't have a grandstand at the Erv. He did a great job of putting together schedules that allowed our teams to travel and play some top quality competition. They also have been able to fly on occasion and didn't have to make bus trips to places like Washington State because he knew how to manage the funds he was given. Lets just hope that the next Jacks baseball coach is as great a person as Dave Schrage.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  Say what you will about Dave's record, it's very hard for a team as far north as SDSU to have a great baseball program. His strength is probably more as a manager. I'm convinced that without him we don't have a grandstand at the Erv. He did a great job of putting together schedules that allowed our teams to travel and play some top quality competition. They also have been able to fly on occasion and didn't have to make bus trips to places like Washington State because he knew how to manage the funds he was given. Lets just hope that the next Jacks baseball coach is as great a person as Dave Schrage.
                  A number of good things that were mentioned in your post can be attributed to Dave Schrage, but was the program progressing? Status quo and regressing who be good arguements for a change. Just saying ...

Comment

Dave has three kids, all of which live in Indiana. He was not "let go" as some are suggesting. He had a chance to be closer to family and he took it - great for him and his family. Simple as that. His record might not be what people want around here but he was a great dude and make a very positive impact on the baseball program and this department. I wish him the best and he will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      Dave has three kids, all of which live in Indiana. He was not "let go" as some are suggesting. He had a chance to be closer to family and he took it - great for him and his family. Simple as that. His record might not be what people want around here but he was a great dude and make a very positive impact on the baseball program and this department. I wish him the best and he will be missed.
                      Absolutely BTown. We've never had a coach that could beat ORU, and neither have any other members of our conference. Dave has a daughter getting married this year, and two other daughters, all living in Indiana. He wasn't going to apply, but finally decided to do it, and got the job. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for his time here. He is the only Jackrabbit baseball coach to make a D-1 playoff spot, and leaves us with a good team coming back. I'm just hoping that we are able to hold on to Brian Grunske, who I understand will get a chance to be in the search. If he isn't the head coach hire, I believe he will be given a chance to be one of the assistant coaches, and I think that would work out well, just as it did with us keeping Klink in MBB.

Comment

Working...
                      X