Long-time Swim Coach Honored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long-time Swim Coach Honored

We don't talk much (and in many cases follow) some of our sports beside the headliners, but this needs to be on the fan board. Following is the full text of a story today in the Argus Leader:

Longtime South Dakota State University men’s and women’s swimming and diving head coach Brad Erickson has been named the 2016 recipient of the Benjamin Franklin Award by the College Swimnming Coaches Association of America. Erickson will be presented his award during the CSCAA Annual Banquet today in Washington, D.C.The Benjamin Franklin Award is presented annually to an indivdual whose efforts best promote the integrity and enhancement of the student-athlete idea.
    The longest tenured coach in South Dakota State University history, Erickson recently completed his 40th season at the helm of the Jackrabbit swimming and diving programs. SDSU turned in a runner- up finish in the women’s division at the 2016 Summit League Championships, while the men’s team placed third.
    A 1974 graduate of SDSU, Erickson has overseen a successful transition from NCAA Division II to Division I competition. He has led the Jackrabbit women’s squad to a second-place finish at the Summit League Championships in six of the last seven seasons, while the men have earned a pair of runner-up finishes. At the 2011 Summit League Championships, Erickson was named women’s coach of the year after SDSU placed second. He added Summit League Men’s Coach of the Year honors to his list of accomplishments in 2012.
    During his career, Erickson has coached swimmers and divers who have gone on to win more than 60 individual conference titles and 10 relay championships. Four of his swimmers have earned All-America recognition.

Re: Long-time Swim Coach Honored

This is a very appropriate award because for as long as Brad Erickson has been around I'm fairly certain he knew Ben Franklin.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      This is a very appropriate award because for as long as Brad Erickson has been around I'm fairly certain he knew Ben Franklin.
      Maybe, maybe not. I went to grade school and junior high with Brad in Arlington. Don't recall that Ben was in our class. Maybe a couple years ahead of us.
      An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
      US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

I had the pleasure and privilege to swim for SDSU/Brad as he started down this long tenure. He has done incredibly well by recruiting swimmers interested in a great education, who could also swim well. Unfortunately, Brad has rarely had anywhere near the number of schollies that the lead team in the conference has, so was always at a competitive disadvantage. His '79 men's team remains his sole conference championship team.

Had a great discussion with Brad at the Summit Tourney. Brad has evolved into a NATIONAL championship coordinator and timeskeeper leader that sets up and runs the national championships. When he chooses to retire, the NCAA has already indicated an interest in keeping him active in these championship coordination activities. His leadership, guidance and easy manner reflects well for SDSU on the National scene. It's great to have someone who wanted to be at SDSU, and really not interested in being elsewhere, and have the AD support to keep him.

Comment

Working...
        X