X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Walk-on offer from the Huskers or a guaranteed full-ride at any FCS school? I'd take the full-ride every time!
    Unless he doesn't "need" the scholarship. Maybe he has other means to pay for school and has the luxury of not needing financial aid. I have not idea if this is true or not, but it could be. And it allows him to possibly live out his dream.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
      It is hard to fault Johnson or Benson for going to Nebraska or Iowa if they get the opportunity. Can you imagine the pressure kids from Nebraska feel from coaches, parents friends etc. to take a walk on roll there? We will lose some kids, no doubt, however we are also going to gain some kids from early signing period, as we will truly find out if these "Offers" from D1 schools are legit or BS. My guess is that some of these offers from U of MN might not be there as expected. Don't forget Grant Schmidt was on Ohio State's roster 2 years ago. I remember an interview from Chad Greenway, he said that Stig told him to go to Iowa, if he had that opportunity he should take it, however he said that if it didn't work out that he always had a home at SDSU. Greenway said he never forgot that honesty from Stig. It all works out in the end.
      If we are smart, and I have no doubt we are, we will keep the communications open with Johnson. A couple walk on years, doing nothing but getting pummeled in practice and losing seasons may re-open the door. Frost is going to have a difficult time reviving NU. This is not the 80s and 90s and Nebraska is no longer considered the go to school for top talent.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        If we are smart, and I have no doubt we are, we will keep the communications open with Johnson. A couple walk on years, doing nothing but getting pummeled in practice and losing seasons may re-open the door. Frost is going to have a difficult time reviving NU. This is not the 80s and 90s and Nebraska is no longer considered the go to school for top talent.
        ** Similar to Jared Blum - played 2 years for Jacks at DE after 3 years of limited play at Nebraska**

Comment

Was hoping we'd get Masker. Sucks extra to lose him to a walk on program.

Comment

These young men have so many things and offers going on to sort out and this is the biggest decision of their young lives. As stated by BitsTD, they may not have the financial need of a full scholarship. Two of the best senior QBs in Nebraska this year are both from Kearney. In my opinion, Masker is the better QB, but Kanon Koster was first team Super State by the Lincoln Journal Star as an athlete and he's got several options to figure out. Koster has multiple D1 schools interested in him as a basketball player. (One of the top players in Nebraska this year.) He's also tied for first in his class of nearly 400 students academically and has a 35 ACT score. Koster has options to do what he wants and where he wants to go, even if he's not offered a full ride scholarship. I don't know Makser's ACT/academic situation, but I know he's a bright kid from a solid family with tons of leadership skills on the field and off. He's also a competitor that wants to play the highest level he can and the Huskers have offered him a 'chance' to be a QB at the next level.

To me, the question I'd look at if I was Masker is what school will offer him the best chance to succeed as a QB. I don't know if Nebraska would be the answer in my book. Frost is going to run a spread offense that would benefit from an athletic QB who can do it all. Masker is more of a pro-style QB whose athletic enough, but more for moving around in the pocket than doing the read option at the highest collegiate level. I'm not sure if he'd be the perfect fit for the Jackrabbits, but I think the fit is better in Brookings than in Lincoln. He's not like TC who can sling the ball around, do the read option or score on a 90 yard QB draw. He is a highly accurate QB with a big arm and extremely quick release. I've also been very impressed with his on-field IQ and strong leadership skill. My gut reaction is that J'Bore Gibbs may be the better fit for how our offense has evolved with TC receiving snaps. Gibbs appears to bring those other elements that an athletic QB can bring. I'm still sold on Masker as a QB who can lead a strong passing offense or hand it off to a strong running game. Play action pass would thrive with his style of play.

Regardless, I'm thrilled with some of the players we are projected to land. J'Bore may be the second coming of TC. I'd be more concerned with the loss of LBs in this class if not for the strong nucleus of young LBs currently on the roster. I'm also excited about the potential of Mike Timm from Whales, WI. Moreover, the foundation we are building with players in the trenches from this class may be more important than some other areas, and I like this class with their big boys.

Comment

Walk-on offer from the Huskers or a guaranteed full-ride at any FCS school? I'd take the full-ride every time! I don't care how much "aura" there is. That is a simple decision in my mind. You can either go to a school that is hoping you turn out to be a contributor or a school that is investing a lot of money in you because they feel confident you are going to make an impact on their program.

I know this situation has been hashed out a million times on various channels over the years but I don't get how you turn down a full scholarship. I understand you can argue the Dallas Goedert story here and that he should have then went to Northern on a scholarship versus coming to SDSU. But for every Goedert there is 30-40 other kids who took the scholarship and it worked out better in the end.
              This is all easy to say until you’re the kid making the decision. I mean, playing in the B1G is getting to play at a level almost as popular as the NFL as far as crowds, TV, and the “glory”. It’s not as simple as we would like it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                Moreover, the foundation we are building with players in the trenches from this class may be more important than some other areas, and I like this class with their big boys.
                McCormick and Greenfield look solid. The Brandon kid and Bass also look pretty good. On defense I'm psyched about Sanders, Van Marel, and Terveer.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  This is all easy to say until you’re the kid making the decision. I mean, playing in the B1G is getting to play at a level almost as popular as the NFL as far as crowds, TV, and the “glory”. It’s not as simple as we would like it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I completely agree with you and not many 18 year old kids are going to make the decision as easy I made it out to be above. More of a statement of how I would be assessing the situation if it was my kid and he/she were lucky enough to have these types of options in front of him.

Comment

I completely agree with you and not many 18 year old kids are going to make the decision as easy I made it out to be above. More of a statement of how I would be assessing the situation if it was my kid and he/she were lucky enough to have these types of options in front of him.

Any surprise signings tomorrow that aren't on the radar?

Comment

In the last 24 hours, Benson has unpinned the tweet regarding his commitment to SDSU and his latest tweet is him informing everyone he's received an offer from Iowa. Consider him a Hawkeye.

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                        Any surprise signings tomorrow that aren't on the radar?
                        Yes
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Mike Timm decomitted. Our LB recruiting taking a hit.

Comment

Wonder if the horrid performance on Saturday and lack of fan support in the playoffs will have an effect on committs.

Comment

I have been thinking about this as well. I think the fan support at games would be more of a factor, over one game but I'm sure some of these kids don't get to see that many games if they aren't from the area.

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                              Wonder if our horrid performance on Saturday and lack of fan support in the playoffs will have an effect on committs.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                                Mike Timm decomitted. Our LB recruiting taking a hit.
                                From what I can tell, we have zero linebackers committed now. Yeesh.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X