X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
    I would read this as one of their linebacker commits freed up a scholarship for Benson.
    That is what I heard. Benson was behind their 1st choice, if that guy didn't sign he was going to get that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I don't know what he will choose, but just there is a strong connection to SDSU and can have family there, however not like them going to iowa would be far away. After the goofers poach Walker, now iowa, its a good problem to have but poaching players after they commit really grinds my gears. Even more so when SDSU does it.
      Yeah, the Bison have lost 3 to FBS programs this year too. I guess it just means we are recruiting the right type of players. Too bad though.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Yeah, the Bison have lost 3 to FBS programs this year too. I guess it just means we are recruiting the right type of players. Too bad though.
        Maybe they need to allow them to sign anytime that would help avoid these issues. would still need to give kids an out though if there was a change to happen, but if a kid commits, why not let them sign right away.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          I just saw on twitter Ronald Audette re-opened his recruitment. OL from Elk River MN recently got an offer from Oregon St b

Comment

Nice Q&A article from Cade Johnson’s dad about the recruiting process and Nebraska and the walk on program. https://t.co/zsW0Cloww8

Comment

Joey Johnson, LB from Gretna, NE accepts walk on offer from Nebraska. He verballed to the Jacks this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Joey Johnson, LB from Gretna, NE accepts walk on offer from Nebraska. He verballed to the Jacks this summer.
                Ouch...losing Johnson and potentially Seth Benson in the same night. Not great news for the future LB group.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  That is what I heard. Benson was behind their 1st choice, if that guy didn't sign he was going to get that spot.
                  Didn't Iowa get spanked the last time it played an MVFC team?

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Ouch...losing Johnson and potentially Seth Benson in the same night. Not great news for the future LB group.
                    Boy it’s been a rough three day stretch....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Man.... **** Scott Frost.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

While it hurts to lose a kid like Johnson and potentially lose Benson, I think this is a testament to the athlete we are finally able to recruit. Whether it be the success of the past few years, the incredible coaching staff or the fantastic facilities one can say we are attracting a whole new level of athlete. Look at the success of our the freshman, both true and RS had this past season. We were as deep as we've ever been this season and so much of it is due to the depth. I don't fault a FBS coach for looking to add, if the kid wants that then good for them. Dallas Goedert took a chance walking on here and that should parlay him into a high draft pick. Who knows what happens for Joey, but a NE kid getting to play for his home state team under a NE FB hero that just won coach of the year. Not a bad risk I'd say. Now for a kid like Seth Benson he's weighing Big10 and a good program vs his home state school and many of his family's alma mater. Does he go south and potentially play 1-2 years, compete for a big10west season title? Or come north and potentially play 3-4 years, compete in the toughest conference in the FCS, play for the conference championship, and legitimately compete for a national title? 24 hours, does anyone know what time they can start sending in their LOI?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          What happen here Gopherhole? A Kearney kid no less. Must have bought into this Frost fever.
                          The aura of the Huskers runs deep for Nebraska kids, even for kids that were infants the last time Nebraska was relevant for conference and national championships. For Matt Masker, his coaches commented that it was about getting the chance to compete at the highest level possible. For Masker, two months ago it was looking like NW Missouri State was his opportunity. Then came our offer followed by Frost returning home. Masker eclipsed some of Frost's Nebraska Class C1 high school passing records earlier this year. Can't fault them for being competitive and for following their heros. If a young man feels he is settling for playing FCS ball, I think it would be better for them to take the chance while they can. For many, it may mean that they don't see the field as much or even at all, but you've got to pursue your dreams. I wish these young men well and look forward to those who are truly "committed" to being a Jackrabbit.

Comment

Walk-on offer from the Huskers or a guaranteed full-ride at any FCS school? I'd take the full-ride every time! I don't care how much "aura" there is. That is a simple decision in my mind. You can either go to a school that is hoping you turn out to be a contributor or a school that is investing a lot of money in you because they feel confident you are going to make an impact on their program.

I know this situation has been hashed out a million times on various channels over the years but I don't get how you turn down a full scholarship. I understand you can argue the Dallas Goedert story here and that he should have then went to Northern on a scholarship versus coming to SDSU. But for every Goedert there is 30-40 other kids who took the scholarship and it worked out better in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                              The aura of the Huskers runs deep for Nebraska kids, even for kids that were infants the last time Nebraska was relevant for conference and national championships. For Matt Masker, his coaches commented that it was about getting the chance to compete at the highest level possible. For Masker, two months ago it was looking like NW Missouri State was his opportunity. Then came our offer followed by Frost returning home. Masker eclipsed some of Frost's Nebraska Class C1 high school passing records earlier this year. Can't fault them for being competitive and for following their heros. If a young man feels he is settling for playing FCS ball, I think it would be better for them to take the chance while they can. For many, it may mean that they don't see the field as much or even at all, but you've got to pursue your dreams. I wish these young men well and look forward to those who are truly "committed" to being a Jackrabbit.
                              Thanks I know this all too well. Frost is perceived as the second coming of Tom Osborne. I recall one press conference where Tom was criticized and he replied "Maybe I should have brain transplant", so its a hard bunch to please. Scott Frost seems to have that same Osborne dedication to coaching.

Its going to harder to recruit out of Nebraska. We are lucky to get Cade Johnson, and the link that some one posted yesterday does have bearing mostly what Clister said about schools who offer free education are often the one chosen. So maybe we will see recruits from Nebraska but not as many.

Comment

It is hard to fault Johnson or Benson for going to Nebraska or Iowa if they get the opportunity. Can you imagine the pressure kids from Nebraska feel from coaches, parents friends etc. to take a walk on roll there? We will lose some kids, no doubt, however we are also going to gain some kids from early signing period, as we will truly find out if these "Offers" from D1 schools are legit or BS. My guess is that some of these offers from U of MN might not be there as expected. Don't forget Grant Schmidt was on Ohio State's roster 2 years ago. I remember an interview from Chad Greenway, he said that Stig told him to go to Iowa, if he had that opportunity he should take it, however he said that if it didn't work out that he always had a home at SDSU. Greenway said he never forgot that honesty from Stig. It all works out in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X