X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I heard that track had their early signing day already but when can SDSU have these players sign so that are locked up?
    Early signing for football is December 20th...

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      I heard that track had their early signing day already but when can SDSU have these players sign so that are locked up?
      lol college sports are the best. when can we get a signature that prevents this teenager from changing their mind.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        lol college sports are the best. when can we get a signature that prevents this teenager from changing their mind.
        Think of it more they are trying to protect their investment.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yeah, because signed contracts are just a stupid, stupid, STUPID idea.

(You have a shred of a point with kids who sign prior to turning 18 . . . but after that, if they're old enough to vote, why shouldn't they be expected them to agree to a contractual relationship?)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

(You have a shred of a point with kids who sign prior to turning 18 . . . but after that, if they're old enough to vote, why shouldn't they be expected them to agree to a contractual relationship?)
            Since most of these "contracts" are signed by a minor, how are they legal? Do the parents sign off on them as well? Since I wasn't good enough to get myself a recruitment letter I have no idea.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Simple. Because the coach(es) that recruits them can leave at any moment. The "but they are supposed to commit to the school" crowd will chime in here, but let's be honest the relationships are almost exclusively with the coach.

Prior to starting school if a coach quits or is fired, the NLI should be void.

I used to be on the other side of this, but I'm starting to see it differently.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                Since most of these "contracts" are signed by a minor, how are they legal? Do the parents sign off on them as well? Since I wasn't good enough to get myself a recruitment letter I have no idea.
                Yes, parents sign as well. There was a recruit a few years ago that wanted to go to Auburn (I think) but a parent wouldn’t sign the LOI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Simple. Because the coach(es) that recruits them can leave at any moment. The "but they are supposed to commit to the school" crowd will chime in here, but let's be honest the relationships are almost exclusively with the coach.

Prior to starting school if a coach quits or is fired, the NLI should be void.

I used to be on the other side of this, but I'm starting to see it differently.
                  I am inclined to agree with this, actually. If not "void" then some other kind of "no-fault escape clause" in the text of the NLI.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I am inclined to agree with this, actually. If not "void" then some other kind of "no-fault escape clause" in the text of the NLI.
                    I couldn't find the story, but there was a basketball recruit that early enrolled at Ohio State right before they canned Thad Motta. I don't think the kid even had a chance to go to class before the firing, but the NCAA says he has to lose a year of play because he was "in school"

Comment

I couldn't find the story, but there was a basketball recruit that early enrolled at Ohio State right before they canned Thad Motta. I don't think the kid even had a chance to go to class before the firing, but the NCAA says he has to lose a year of play because he was "in school"
                      Wasn't there something with Jill Young when she transferred? I don't remember the details but school started or something like that when she transferred.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Just out of curiosity how does it work when someone who joins a military branch when they are 18? If they change their mind what's the recourse? Just wondering how that is. I know its oranges to kumquats comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Just out of curiosity how does it work when someone who joins a military branch when they are 18? If they change their mind what's the recourse? Just wondering how that is. I know its oranges to kumquats comparison.
                          Depends on when they change their mind -- if you wash out at bootcamp, it's not as detrimental as if you separate after a bonus has been paid, which typically obligates the recipient to fulfill some term of service, even if not the entire enlistment. Failure to fulfill that term would result in the government collecting at least a portion of the bonus. Not to mention possible stigmatization if the person receives dishonorable, bad conduct, etc. discharge, which can result in them being ineligible for VA services/benefits

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Here is what I found:
                            https://military-law.lawyers.com/mil...nlistment.html

It looks like you can, in fact get out of it.

Comment

Here is what I found:
                              https://military-law.lawyers.com/mil...nlistment.html

It looks like you can, in fact get out of it.
                              Thanks, wasn't sure how that worked but figured since its a contract there would be some challenges to it.

Comment

Not to mention that the coaches can collude with the school to keep the kid from gaining admission if they change their mind about the kid

Comment

Working...
                                X