X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Time to apologize for not keeping this thread up to date, but football recruiting has been extremely fluid. I've moved a number of recruits to the committed FBS/FCS schools.

As of early July, we have 12 commits! Don't know if any of these are PWOs, but we do have 12.
    I believe we have 11 as you have Ryan listed twice.

Comment

I'm somewhat concerned that we have only 1 confirmed offer to a RB. Now if we can land Devonte Lee I'd be extremely happy, every time I watch his hudl I think of Earl Campbell...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        I'm somewhat concerned that we have only 1 confirmed offer to a RB. Now if we can land Devonte Lee I'd be extremely happy, every time I watch his hudl I think of Earl Campbell...
        I'm sure we will get at least one running back in this class, but they must feel it's not a priority as they have 8 running backs on the roster and just one senior.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          I believe we have 11 as you have Ryan listed twice.
          Thanks for the correction!

Comment

If we don't get a RB this class I wouldn't be too worried. Tolu, Mullholland, and Strong will get a ton of carries and depth is already in place with Roths and Clarke.

I'd like to see us get the best players available as I think our roster has very few holes except on the defensive line, which the 2017 class addressed pretty heavily.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              If we don't get a RB this class I wouldn't be too worried. Tolu, Mullholland, and Strong will get a ton of carries and depth is already in place with Roths and Clarke.

I'd like to see us get the best players available as I think our roster has very few holes except on the defensive line, which the 2017 class addressed pretty heavily.
              Truth to this and I agree with best players available. That said I think it's good practice to add a RB every class regardless of depth. It's a great luxury to have a few in line but the inevitable seems to happen. there is concern but not completely alarmed if we do not get one, the last two classes have provided several options. It's a convenience if we get one though and a great get if Lee were to sign up.

Comment

It would be sweet to land a Devonte Lee, who's been touted by one publication as the #1 running back out of Oklahoma or another difference maker to the backfield. However, we may have that difference maker on the roster with seven running backs who will have eligibility after Mengarelli graduates. So I agree with a couple of previous posters that finding the best player available is more important.

Our roster has as much depth as I can ever remember. What worries me more after this year's class graduates is having the difference makers on the team. Coaches always do an amazing job finding and developing those players. But I'd be lying if I wasn't worried who will fill the gap when Goedert and Wieneke graduate. Those are two of the premier players in FCS football and the gap between them and those that fill the void can be daunting. Unsung stars like Kellen Soulek and Jacob Ohnesorge on the line are big pieces too. It would not be fair to expect their replacements to be the difference makers that they have been, but the void needs to be filled somewhere. We could never expect Mengarelli or Wallace to fill the void when Zenner left, but they have done well. What filled the void was having an exceptional passing game develop. Finding those guys may come through unexpected channels like Goedert/Wieneke/Zenner. Players that received modest recruitment coming out of high school. Or it may come through a highly rated player that fell through the cracks in a numbers game. They may be on the roster and are just waiting for their chance to shine. This recruiting cycle may have more of those players surface with the earlier signing period.

I'm confident the staff will find and develop those players. It is my belief that we are in a good position because we currently have as much depth as I can ever remember. Stay healthy and find opportunities for players and we will be just fine with the class that the staff is recruiting.

Comment

DT - Bryson Williams***, 6'2" 255 lbs DT/DE Lincoln, NE (Southeast) - HUDL verballed to Wisconsin.

Comment

More on Lee here:
                    http://newsok.com/john-marshalls-dev...rticle/5555324
                    Football season starts in six weeks down here in Oklahoma.

Comment

Coble,Isbell and Pringle are three I'm watching closely to see who they commit too.

Comment

New DT commit from jimmy rogers twitter account.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                          New DT commit from jimmy rogers twitter account.
                          Does he have a name?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Does he have a name?
                            Yes, but he doesn't have twitter.
                            Caleb Sanders- DT- Glenwood, IA
                            http://www.hudl.com/profile/4206456/caleb-sanders

Where the heck is Bulldog? We need a report about these NW Iowa kids!
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Thanks Westside. He will show up with all sorts of facts and figures. I hope Caleb does well at SDSU. I am not into Twitter, I will leave that to you know who.

Comment

I see that he finished 3rd at HWT in Iowa's 3A wrestling class last year. On his schools twitter it looks like he has participated in Jon Reader's camp and Penn State's wrestling camp so far this summer.

The wrestling prowess explains the quick hands and feet you see in his highlights.

Comment

Working...
                                X