X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    He’s in a situation like Zy and Smenda were in, a “prove it” semester academically. Seems like a good kid so I hope he makes it.
    So he is in school, but cannot practice or have any official contact with the program ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      So he is in school, but cannot practice or have any official contact with the program ?
      Correct.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Another QB offer out and I love this kid!!!

QB - Matt Masker, 6'3" 215, Kearney, NE (Kearney Catholic) - HUDL
        Offers: Northwest Missouri State, University of Nebraska-Kearney, Emporia State

Mike Sautter from the Omaha World Herald has him ranked as the top QB in this year's Nebraska prep class. He's a classic pro-style QB with an excellent arm, extremely quick release and outstanding presence on the field. While he's not a dual threat to burn you while running the ball, he still can hurt you with his feet. I'd compare him to Aaron Rodgers for how he moves. He won't be a threat to go 90 yards like Taryn, but he can buy time in and out of the pocket, and his team has effectively used him in running situations.

I've had the pleasure to officiate at least six of his varsity games over the years and he's the best QB and possibly the best high school football player I've seen in 28 years of officiating. He moves well inside the pocket, yet he's outstanding moving outside of the pocket. The last two years I've seen him make unbelievable throws at least 40 yards down field while moving outside of the pocket. These are throws while under heavy pursuit and the receivers never had to break stride. One last year was while scrambling to the left and he hit a receiver down the right sideline in stride - the ball had to travel at least 60 yards. This year, he hit a receiver in tight coverage at the sideline, while rolling to his left again and off of his back foot with a linebacker in his grill.

His maturity on and off the field is second to none. He never loses his cool when a player misses an assignment or the coaches get on him. In one of the tight games we worked this year, the coaches were yelling at him to step up into the pocket on multiple times and he kept his cool while encouraging his linemen to stick to their assignments. What the coaches could not see was there was no pocket to step into as the interior linemen were getting continually beat. I even joked with him one time about the lack of the pocket and he'd just smile at me and then give firm but positive encouragement to his linemen. The only times I've every seen him challenge authority is with his eye patches. By rule, they are supposed to be a simple black stroke under the eye. His always have a bible verse and every year we remind his coaches that he has to cover them up.

I've seen him and his older brother around the community many times and they are always in leadership positions or volunteering for something. When he addresses you, it's almost like he has a military background. He's the type of kid I'd be pleased if my daughter dated. My wife even loved him when he was a student in her preschool class 13 years ago.

While he's a different player than TC or J'Bore Gibbs from this year's class, I'm so pleased that the coaches decided to pursue him despite having Gibbs' verbal commitment. Please don't read this offer as a softening of Gibbs, I've seen multiple retweets about the Marker staying in Brookings on his twitter page.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

[I]Offers: Northwest Missouri State, University of Nebraska-Kearney, Emporia State.
          Could he play another position if Gibbs is THE QB?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Or the other way around? Any chance Gibbs won't be slotted in at QB?

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

Offers: Northwest Missouri State, University of Nebraska-Kearney, Emporia State

Mike Sautter from the Omaha World Herald has him ranked as the top QB in this year's Nebraska prep class. He's a classic pro-style QB with an excellent arm, extremely quick release and outstanding presence on the field. While he's not a dual threat to burn you while running the ball, he still can hurt you with his feet. I'd compare him to Aaron Rodgers for how he moves. He won't be a threat to go 90 yards like Taryn, but he can buy time in and out of the pocket, and his team has effectively used him in running situations.

I've had the pleasure to officiate at least six of his varsity games over the years and he's the best QB and possibly the best high school football player I've seen in 28 years of officiating. He moves well inside the pocket, yet he's outstanding moving outside of the pocket. The last two years I've seen him make unbelievable throws at least 40 yards down field while moving outside of the pocket. These are throws while under heavy pursuit and the receivers never had to break stride. One last year was while scrambling to the left and he hit a receiver down the right sideline in stride - the ball had to travel at least 60 yards. This year, he hit a receiver in tight coverage at the sideline, while rolling to his left again and off of his back foot with a linebacker in his grill.

His maturity on and off the field is second to none. He never loses his cool when a player misses an assignment or the coaches get on him. In one of the tight games we worked this year, the coaches were yelling at him to step up into the pocket on multiple times and he kept his cool while encouraging his linemen to stick to their assignments. What the coaches could not see was there was no pocket to step into as the interior linemen were getting continually beat. I even joked with him one time about the lack of the pocket and he'd just smile at me and then give firm but positive encouragement to his linemen. The only times I've every seen him challenge authority is with his eye patches. By rule, they are supposed to be a simple black stroke under the eye. His always have a bible verse and every year we remind his coaches that he has to cover them up.

I've seen him and his older brother around the community many times and they are always in leadership positions or volunteering for something. When he addresses you, it's almost like he has a military background. He's the type of kid I'd be pleased if my daughter dated. My wife even loved him when he was a student in her preschool class 13 years ago.

While he's a different player than TC or J'Bore Gibbs from this year's class, I'm so pleased that the coaches decided to pursue him despite having Gibbs' verbal commitment. Please don't read this offer as a softening of Gibbs, I've seen multiple retweets about the Marker staying in Brookings on his twitter page.
              Dynamite post and insight. Thanks!

Comment

From what I have been told is that the plan is to have as much talent in the QB room as possible so when Taryn graduates it is a 100% open competition between 4-5 HIGH QUALITY arms. I think the realization is there that there will likely be a transfer or 2 out in this scenario but they want to make sure the room is loaded with talent not just camp arms. At least that is what I have gathered from conversations.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I like having some options at QB. While it is great to have a TC that you can count on, I'd be a bit frustrated if we had an Easton Stick that is struggling with turnovers and not have an alternative. Worse yet, have a TC and lose him to season ending injury and not have a quality backup. The position is too important to not have options.

Comment

I don't see playing Masker at another position at this level. However, he is the high character type guy that I could see being a Zach Lujan player if he's not the starter. Someone you could count in when needed, but the type of team player that will help you even if he's not on the field every game. He's a competitor and I know he wants to play at the highest level, but I don't see him being anything but an asset in the locker room or huddle.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      From what I have been told is that the plan is to have as much talent in the QB room as possible so when Taryn graduates it is a 100% open competition between 4-5 HIGH QUALITY arms. I think the realization is there that there will likely be a transfer or 2 out in this scenario but they want to make sure the room is loaded with talent not just camp arms. At least that is what I have gathered from conversations.
                      I'm a huge proponent of this strategy.

There are so many intangibles and variables that factor in to whether a kid will be a good QB or not and those factors are extremely hard to predict. A kid can have the arm, the size, the athleticism, the grades, or all of them, and it still doesn't necessarily mean they'll pan out. Anticipation, spacial recognition, muscle memory, work ethic all play an important role and you really don't know if they have the ability to develop those skills until they're thrown into the fire over and over again. I like the practice of getting as much tangible talent that is feasible at the position and see which ones get forged into good steel.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        I'm a huge proponent of this strategy.

There are so many intangibles and variables that factor in to whether a kid will be a good QB or not and those factors are extremely hard to predict. A kid can have the arm, the size, the athleticism, the grades, or all of them, and it still doesn't necessarily mean they'll pan out. Anticipation, spacial recognition, muscle memory, work ethic all play an important role and you really don't know if they have the ability to develop them until they're thrown into the fire over and over again. I like the practice of getting as much tangible talent that is feasible at the position and see which ones get forged into good steel.
                        Agree with all of this. Get as many as you can, it will sort itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

According to his twitter bio, Logan Busch is committed. He went to Beresford and eventually the JUCO route, playing at Iowa Western CC. 6'5 330lb O-Lineman and was a pretty good basketball player in high school if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
                            According to his twitter bio, Logan Busch is committed. He went to Beresford and eventually the JUCO route, playing at Iowa Western CC. 6'5 330lb O-Lineman and was a pretty good basketball player in high school if I remember correctly.
                            Dad is Mike, former QB at SDSU. Brother Landon played baseball at SDSU.

Comment

Dad is Mike, former QB at SDSU. Brother Landon played baseball at SDSU.
                              Grandfather Galen was big in Cross Country at SDSU and grand Uncle Dennis was a member of the 1963 National Championship Basketball team. Dennis was lost his life in a electrical construction accident about 1964.

Comment

Any idea which recruits were in attendence.

Comment

Working...
                                X