X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Grant Norton is going to Row the Boat for Fleck at MN...
    I just don't get this idiom.
    How's a Gopher supposed to row? And why what does that have to do with anything but the Vikings? (A Sterling example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory I might add)

Don't even get me started on how their mascot isn't even a Gopher.

And that's where you want to learn... The U of M istakes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      I just don't get this idiom.
      How's a Gopher supposed to row? And why what does that have to do with anything but the Vikings? (A Sterling example of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory I might add)

Don't even get me started on how their mascot isn't even a Gopher.

And that's where you want to learn... The U of M istakes.

I wasn't aware of the specific origins of the phrase until recently, but this article summarizes that the death of P.J. Fleck's son due to a heart condition was the catalyst for the phrase. Espn's Darren Rovell is reporting that Fleck indicates he will not profit from sales of "Row the Boat" apparel either; rather, licensing funds will be donated to Masonic Children's Hospital.

Comment

I am sad to hear of his loss, and it's neat what he's doing. After reading the article the relevance of "row the boat" is still a mystery. Did they row together? I'll have to read it again. I must have missed correlation it why that phrase is used.

Comment

I am sad to hear of his loss, and it's neat what he's doing. After reading the article the relevance of "row the boat" is still a mystery. Did they row together? I'll have to read it again. I must have missed correlation it why that phrase is used.

Gopher fan here. Fleck is a little much but considering how the RTB came about I can appreciate where he's coming from. He's also built a lot of fan interest, but we'll see if he can win.

The RTB phrase is meant for a team rowing the boat in unison while not looking the way you're going. When you row, your back is facing where you're going and you have a leader, PJ Fleck in this case, guiding you where to go. It's basically hard work in unison while believing and trusting in your leader that you're going in the right direction. So everyone gets a paddle and you start working together and you trust Fleck to lead you where you need to go.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Here is some additional context. As the article mentions, Fleck focuses on three aspects:
            1). The oar = provides the energy
            2). The boat = signifies community sacrifice (which includes groups as diverse as team, administration, fans, etc.)
            3). The compass = the program's touchstone (the shared goal of success).

The article also echoes some of what SDSUAlum08 posted.

Comment

Today is "Committment Day". Coaches are bringing in guys & their families who have already verbally committed and probably a few on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                Gopher fan here. Fleck is a little much but considering how the RTB came about I can appreciate where he's coming from. He's also built a lot of fan interest, but we'll see if he can win.

The RTB phrase is meant for a team rowing the boat in unison while not looking the way you're going. When you row, your back is facing where you're going and you have a leader, PJ Fleck in this case, guiding you where to go. It's basically hard work in unison while believing and trusting in your leader that you're going in the right direction. So everyone gets a paddle and you start working together and you trust Fleck to lead you where you need to go.
                I don't like the gophers, but IMO Fleck was a great hire. Hopefully Minnesota will groom him up for P5 football just in time for Brian Kelly's ouster at Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  Here is some additional context. As the article mentions, Fleck focuses on three aspects:
                  1). The oar = provides the energy
                  2). The boat = signifies community sacrifice (which includes groups as diverse as team, administration, fans, etc.)
                  3). The compass = the program's touchstone (the shared goal of success).

The article also echoes some of what SDSUAlum08 posted.
                  Thank you.

Comment

Picture of some of the verbals at "Commit Day" as well as some guys we are high on (Bryce Stai & Blake Peterson). Peterson is a 2019 recruit who has multiple high level FBS offers.
                    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGAj01GU...jpg&name=large

Comment

New offer:

Blake Kunz, 6'5" 240 lbs TE/WR out of Germantown, WI.
                      http://www.hudl.com/profile/9512322/blake-kunz
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Hunter Headlee verbals to USD (brother plays down there as well).

QB/LB - Hunter Headlee, 6'1" 200, Harrisburg, SD - HUDL

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Hunter Headlee verbals to USD (brother plays down there as well).

QB/LB - Hunter Headlee, 6'1" 200, Harrisburg, SD - HUDL
                          That's what everyone kind of thought was going to happen, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            That's what everyone kind of thought was going to happen, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Correct. I was shocked to see him at C-Day.

Mason McCormick's tweet reply to him was pretty hilarious. https://twitter.com/MasonLMcCormick/...22997544583169
                            Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 08-02-2017, 12:02 PM.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              Correct. I was shocked to see him at C-Day. Mason McCormick's tweet reply to him as pretty hilarious. https://twitter.com/MasonLMcCormick/...22997544583169
                              Love seeing a guy like Mason and how much he loves being a Jack. Its guys like that that make me proud to cheer them on.

Comment

Ran quick check of the available offers and their twitters show several have committed elsewhere. Apologies if any are redundant.

Offense-Bax

Defense-Lee, Logan, Burton, Shodipo and Wilhoit

Most were in the FCS and in the Valley.

Not sure if we're in a quiet period now with fall practices starting all over and visits upcoming. one thing with the Thursday opener it will have an impact on visits with HS games on the Friday night and school as well. I suspect area commits will make it up after their walk throughs. The Roosevelt and Washington boys especially.

Comment

Working...
                                X