X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I agree with this. It is a two way street and some of our commits said "no thanks" to other suitors. I think we should just get used to this each year around this time or year. Likely going to happen every year with a small handful of our top rated recruits. Just a trickle down affect of other recruits flipping commitments which ultimately falls on the kids giving commitments they know aren't solid. Kids simply shouldn't give a verbal unless they are 100% committed meaning "I'm verbally committing to SDSU even if Nick Saban calls tomorrow".
    I get it if you have been actively recruited by someone, or have those offers that might still be on the table. I just don't like how school do that. Well plan A didn't work out so lets try to steal someone else's plan A so they can be our back up plan. Just because that how it is, doesn't mean its right.

That's why I think kids should be able to sign when they want. not wait for a signing day. sucks to lose him. I think walker would have been a great next kicker after vinitari, sucks he got poached also. To bad someone didn't show Benson the video of Iowa playing and losing to NDSU, then show him, then SDSU beating NDSU game again.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      To bad someone didn't show Benson the video of Iowa playing and losing to NDSU, then show him, then SDSU beating NDSU game again.
      While I am disappointed about this decommit, I am not as upset as some. It is more than one game.

This kid now has the opportunity to play in the some of the cathedrals of college football. The Big House, the Horseshoe, Camp Randall, Memorial Stadium, Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley, just to name a few.

This is big time stuff and the dream of any kid that laced 'em up after high school.

If it doesn't work for him welcome him back with open arms.

Good luck to him.
      Last edited by BitsTD; 12-22-2017, 09:54 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        While I am disappointed about this decommit, I am not as upset as some. It is more than one game.

This kid now has the opportunity to play in the some of the cathedrals of college football. The Big House, the Horseshoe, Camp Randall, Memorial Stadium, Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley, just to name a few.

This is big time stuff and the dream of any kid that laced 'em up after high school.

If it doesn't work for him welcome him back with open arms.

Good luck to him.

My hope for any kid that gets poached is to be an all-star. I hope they get to play every down of their eligibility. Regardless if they go on from there.

Comment

For everyone bitching about the players going back on verbals... just two days after signing day, WIU headcoach Charlie Fischer is leaving to become the WR coach at Arizona State. Those players that signed are still bound to the school, unless the school releases them. Fischer had to have known he was leaving as these players were signing their next 4-5 years away. What a joke!
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            For everyone bitching about the players going back on verbals... just two days after signing day, WIU headcoach Charlie Fischer is leaving to become the WR coach at Arizona State. Those players that signed are still bound to the school, unless the school releases them. Fischer had to have known he was leaving as these players were signing their next 4-5 years away. What a joke!
            these are the perfect reason for kids to get another chance. a coach leaving, cant blame them for looking again. However if they sign and the coach isn't leaving or any other major issues at the school that would affect them. they should honor that commitment.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

And 99% of the time the school will grant them a release if they want out of their Letter of Intent. Especially if the coach leaves. If the shchool doesn't grant them a release they can petition the NCAA or conference office and most often they will grant them the release.

The hard part is that the recruitment window has gotten much smaller and those recruits might not have all the opportunities in front of them after their NLI is voided. But that also happens to coaches and schools. If Benson would have not given a commitment in June I'm guessing we would have pursued other worthy LB recruits. I'm guessing that current pool of candidates has shrunk since June.

This happens in the real world though too. You interview someone, extend them a job offer and salary, they say yes. Two days later they call back and say "sorry, I got a extremely lucrative counter offer from my current employer so I'm no longer going to work for you". As mush as I hate the cliche....it is what it is.

Comment

I agree.

This is pretty low down by the coach. He gets to move up in the world and the young men who chose him to be their mentor for the next 4-5 years is gone.

I have never liked the fact that kids were tied to a school, but the coach could move around willy-nilly.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  My hope for any kid that gets poached is to be an all-star. I hope they get to play every down of their eligibility. Regardless if they go on from there.
                  I just hope that kids find what's best for them before they sign the dotted line. I don't like poaching but 17 year old kids change their minds.
                  I'm not saying this will be the case with Seth but it will be interesting to see if he will be "a small fish in a big pond" or if he is just where he is supposed to be. I don't favor a kid that was poached over a kid that picked Iowa originally and is sticking with them. I might favor Seth because he is from SD but that would be the only reason.
                  I would welcome him back to SDSU is things don't work out at Iowa though.

Comment

I agree with this. It is a two way street and some of our commits said "no thanks" to other suitors. I think we should just get used to this each year around this time or year. Likely going to happen every year with a small handful of our top rated recruits. Just a trickle down affect of other recruits flipping commitments which ultimately falls on the kids giving commitments they know aren't solid. Kids simply shouldn't give a verbal unless they are 100% committed meaning "I'm verbally committing to SDSU even if Nick Saban calls tomorrow".
                    Not saying this was the case with Seth, but often times schools, including SDSU, will tell a kid that they need a verbal answer in 24 or 48 hours. Most of them haven't seen another campus or coach and have nothing to compare it to. Yes, Iowa lost a lb to Michigan and went and poached a kid from SDSU. The only way to prevent this is having students sign when they verbal. There is no way of proving that a student athlete gave the coach a verbal. there has to be a paper trail. NDSU has lost several to Minnesota, Iowa, and Iowa State. WE are not alone. Hopefully we've recruited some depth at each position and we might have to go rob from Augie, USF or a UND. 98% of us would have made the same decision Seth has made. There is a difference in experience. Not to mention a $4-5,000 stipend and unlimited food with training table. Love Brookings, but it isn't Iowa City or Lincoln especially on game day.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                      Not saying this was the case with Seth, but often times schools, including SDSU, will tell a kid that they need a verbal answer in 24 or 48 hours. Most of them haven't seen another campus or coach and have nothing to compare it to. Yes, Iowa lost a lb to Michigan and went and poached a kid from SDSU. The only way to prevent this is having students sign when they verbal. There is no way of proving that a student athlete gave the coach a verbal. there has to be a paper trail. NDSU has lost several to Minnesota, Iowa, and Iowa State. WE are not alone. Hopefully we've recruited some depth at each position and we might have to go rob from Augie, USF or a UND. 98% of us would have made the same decision Seth has made. There is a difference in experience. Not to mention a $4-5,000 stipend and unlimited food with training table. Love Brookings, but it isn't Iowa City or Lincoln especially on game day.
                      I guess I am part of the 2%, with no offers and begging to be admitted to SDSU.

Comment

Embrace the status quo, if you like. I just think we should pursue a higher standard of acceptable behavior by public universities.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Maybe I see SDSU as a rather attractive place for a lot of reasons. You want to compete for a conference title, and national championship, have 14 games for your season. you can do that here. At Iowa, hopefully you get to play in a bowl game or 2 and its a long shot to win the conference probably play in 11 games, maybe 12 and hopefully have a winning record. Want to play in the NFL, you can get a chance at Iowa, but you can here too. Ask, ZZ, the wizard Goedert and others about there chances here.

In basketball ball, you want to win a conference tourney with the home crowd support and a chance to play in the NCAA tourney, you can do that here. wanna make the NBA, you can do that here. I expect more and more Wolters and Daums will be coming through the door and making SDSU basketball very attractive.

Not saying Power 5 schools aren't attractive, but I think the allure of what they are compared to others isn't all that it seems. yep, bigger crowds and perks come with it, but there are perks at SDSU too.

Comment

As a program losing two head coaches in 4 years is bound to create some negatives and inconsistency somewhere. Who is the next HC at WIU? That will be interesting to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                              There is no way of proving that a student athlete gave the coach a verbal.
                              In the social media age, there is plenty of tweets proving athletes saying they are verbally committing to a particular school.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Maybe I see SDSU as a rather attractive place for a lot of reasons. You want to compete for a conference title, and national championship, have 14 games for your season. you can do that here. At Iowa, hopefully you get to play in a bowl game or 2 and its a long shot to win the conference probably play in 11 games, maybe 12 and hopefully have a winning record. Want to play in the NFL, you can get a chance at Iowa, but you can here too. Ask, ZZ, the wizard Goedert and others about there chances here.

In basketball ball, you want to win a conference tourney with the home crowd support and a chance to play in the NCAA tourney, you can do that here. wanna make the NBA, you can do that here. I expect more and more Wolters and Daums will be coming through the door and making SDSU basketball very attractive.

Not saying Power 5 schools aren't attractive, but I think the allure of what they are compared to others isn't all that it seems. yep, bigger crowds and perks come with it, but there are perks at SDSU too.
                                If you were 17 years old and your choices were Iowa,Nebraska or SDSU you would choose? I cannot fault a kid for reaching for the stars.

Comment

Working...
                                X