This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Recruiting List

I agree. If he hasn't taken the official trip to Iowa that was scheduled for January, does it mean we are still in play. That's assuming what I read in the media is actually correct

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
      He has an official set for Iowa in January so I'm a little surprised he is announcing his decision tomorrow.
      Kids will verbal/sign to save their spot and then go on an official visit later. It’s not like Benson hasn’t been aware of Iowa. I’m sure they’ve been in contact.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I’m wondering based on colleges giving athletes ultimatums for not signing in early period they wouldn’t guarantee a spot and wondering now if he got the ultimatum. I’m only speculating and could be way off.

Comment

Iowa message board says Benson will choose Iowa in the morning. Obviously I’m not sure how credible that is.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            Iowa message board says Benson will choose Iowa in the morning. Obviously I’m not sure how credible that is.
            Stu is tweeting out its IA.

Comment

Iowa just lost a "sure" JUCO linebacker to Nebraska this afternoon. This may have impacted Benson's decision to sign tomorrow. Iowa may have either put a little pressure on him or he may have seen an opportunity to sign now figuring he may have an opportunity to get on the field sooner. I know Will Farniok from the same high school is graduating tomorrow and heading to Lincoln Jan 5 to enroll and start spring practice. Maybe Benson will go the same route. Pure speculation. Hope I am 100% wrong and he will head to Brookings.

Comment

These P5 programs do not always work out for everyone. I trust we leave an open door.

Comment

Iowa coaches must be blabbering in advance about Seth Benson's announcement. That figures.
                  Last edited by Jacked_Up; 12-21-2017, 10:55 PM.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Benson to IA per his Twitter account.

Comment

Congrats to Seth, I don't fault a kid for making that jump. He would've been a great addition to the team but we move on. Disappointment is going to happen in the recruiting game as we become more successful, better facilities and we go for more upper tier athletes. We have a few great offers still out there that could still sign today or the coaches scour for the next month and a half.

Other than losing a few out of the verbals this class is shaping up quite nicely. So many of them physically are set to come in and compete or at least make the scout teams that much stronger. I don't believe we have any early enrollees for spring ball. So many of these kids have such a high ceiling...Kunz with really only one year of HS FB will come in roughly almost the same size as Dallas is leaving. Van Marel looks to be built like Earith already. Walhof is built like Soulek was coming in, get another 35-50 pounds on that frame and he'll be plugging holes too. Looking back at the 2013 recruiting list of commits and PWOs 2 of the best players SDSU has ever had aren't even on there in Goedert & Soulek. Heck Brady and Kane were PWOs. Every year these classes get more and more stacked but there are going to be diamonds in the rough that we find...or luck out with.

I don't know the number, if any will get a chance in the fall but we are building depth like we've never seen before. That was evidenced by the participation reports. I think we were consistently playing 50+ guys weekly. That is a huge difference between the 35ish guys we were playing in the past years.

Comment

Man I hate when schools poach commits. almost as much as I hate college football games on Thursday.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The NCAA should enact a rule to prohibit schools with low ethical standards, such as Iowa, from interfering with recruits once they've verbally committed to another school. Recruits can change their minds whenever they want, but they should do so without the Iowas of the football world pressuring them to change their minds.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            The NCAA should enact a rule to prohibit schools with low ethical standards, such as Iowa, from interfering with recruits once they've verbally committed to another school. Recruits can change their minds whenever they want, but they should do so without the Iowas of the football world pressuring them to change their minds.
                            This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all year. Giving a verbal means absolutely nothing, schools are going to continue to recruit kids even though they have verbally committed. Kids can shut down their recruitment anytime they want, they don't have to answer the phone calls from coaches.

Comment

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all year. Giving a verbal means absolutely nothing, schools are going to continue to recruit kids even though they have verbally committed. Kids can shut down their recruitment anytime they want, they don't have to answer the phone calls from coaches.
                              Go explain to a lawyer or judge that an oral agreement means nothing. College football coaches shouldn't be exempt from ethical standards that govern the rest of society.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

I agree with this. It is a two way street and some of our commits said "no thanks" to other suitors. I think we should just get used to this each year around this time or year. Likely going to happen every year with a small handful of our top rated recruits. Just a trickle down affect of other recruits flipping commitments which ultimately falls on the kids giving commitments they know aren't solid. Kids simply shouldn't give a verbal unless they are 100% committed meaning "I'm verbally committing to SDSU even if Nick Saban calls tomorrow".

Comment

Working...
                                X