Future Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Rosters

Nagy's comment about Gentry stood out to me at the time because he very rarely went out of his way to say much (if anything) publicly about a redshirt athlete. I'm very interested to see what this young PG will be able to do by the time the Summit season starts, but I don't expect him to be a starter.

Two others I would not expect to start but will be hoping make major progress are Flatten and Severyn. They could really make us deep at the wing. If it is ever going to happen, for those two, now is the time.

Comment

As highly regarded as Dykman is/was it wouldn't surprise me if he saw significant minutes and possibly even being a starter at the 4 with Thiessen then coming off the bench. It's nice we have some good size with our guards as Hess/Telly/Severyn/Flatten are all 6'5 or better. I think that allows us to get by with only having three big men, as we can still play "big" if one or two get in foul trouble.

Also keep in mind that the Summit doesn't have much in the way of dominant big men, it is more of a guard/small forward dominated league.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        As highly regarded as Dykman is/was it wouldn't surprise me if he saw significant minutes and possibly even being a starter at the 4 with Thiessen then coming off the bench. It's nice we have some good size with our guards as Hess/Telly/Severyn/Flatten are all 6'5 or better. I think that allows us to get by with only having three big men, as we can still play "big" if one or two get in foul trouble.

Also keep in mind that the Summit doesn't have much in the way of dominant big men, it is more of a guard/small forward dominated league.
        This ☝. Nailed every point.
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
          Nagy's comment about Gentry stood out to me at the time because he very rarely went out of his way to say much (if anything) publicly about a redshirt athlete. I'm very interested to see what this young PG will be able to do by the time the Summit season starts, but I don't expect him to be a starter.

Two others I would not expect to start but will be hoping make major progress are Flatten and Severyn. They could really make us deep at the wing. If it is ever going to happen, for those two, now is the time.
          When Nagy made that statement about Gentry, I believe he also said Gentry redshirted because his body wasn't ready to play at this level. It will be interesting to see if he added strength during the last year - you would think he has been a regular in the weight room.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

I think the only way we start 2 bigs is if it's Daum and Dykman. I don't see any chance in hell that Theisen starts with Daum. But I guess we'll see!
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't want to say things that aren't nice, so I'll refrain regarding Severyn. If Flatten can stay healthy, I can see him being a big contributor, especially in a high paced offense that gets up and down the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                I don't want to say things that aren't nice, so I'll refrain regarding Severyn. If Flatten can stay healthy, I can see him being a big contributor, especially in a high paced offense that gets up and down the floor.
                Lane Severyn was a great player in high school. He had great range and I was very excited for his commitment to SDSU. I think his confidence is rocked a bit and still expect good things out of him. He needs to be much more aggressive offensively because he does have the tools. I have heard from former players over the years that Coach Nagy could be tough at times on the players. Some people do well with someone getting in their face and other people need a little more TLC. I hope Lane surprises us all!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  I watched Lane in high school, he has ability to be a big contributor. He can be somewhat streaky with his shot but if he can get going, he can score in bunches. In the state championship game his senior year of high school, he scored almost half the team points and was very efficient from the floor.

I think it's just a confidence issue right now. He can get there.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Why is everyone so high on Gentry? King has 4 inches and a year of experience over him...
                    1. Gentry and Orris (only)
                    2. Wallace and King
                    3. Hess and Telly with some Flatten and Lane
                    4. Daum and Dykman mainly with some Telly and Lane
                    5. Theisen and Daum (only)

I don't know who will start at the 1 and which two players will start at the 4 & 5 but I think three of those five will start. I also think that two of the three between Wallace, Telly and Hess will start at the other two spots.
                    I've only seen Gentry play the exhibition games last year but he seemed better at handling the ball, passing the ball, shooting the ball and anticipating where the ball should go that King. King is much more physical but I don't see him as a PG.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      1. Gentry and Orris (only)
                      2. Wallace and King
                      3. Hess and Telly with some Flatten and Lane
                      4. Daum and Dykman mainly with some Telly and Lane
                      5. Theisen and Daum (only)

I don't know who will start at the 1 and which two players will start at the 4 & 5 but I think three of those five will start. I also think that two of the three between Wallace, Telly and Hess will start at the other two spots.
                      I've only seen Gentry play the exhibition games last year but he seemed better at handling the ball, passing the ball, shooting the ball and anticipating where the ball should go that King. King is much more physical but I don't see him as a PG.
                      I think you might be right with this. dykman fills at the 4 and Telly and Lane sometimes depending on injuries or match ups etc.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Agree on Gentry not starting right away, that is why Oris is here. If Gentry is as talented as speculation indicates, then through the season he will have a chance to rise to starter possibly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                          Agree on Gentry not starting right away, that is why Oris is here. If Gentry is as talented as speculation indicates, then through the season he will have a chance to rise to starter possibly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          Looking at the numbers, it will be difficult to keep Orris ahead of Gentry unless he improves on the 27.7% field goal, 12.2% 3 pt shooting, and 52.4% free throw. He had 22 starts in 33 games. Orris did average 3 assists per game while only turning over the ball 1.5 times. He averaged 21.7 minutes per game. He only attempted 21 free throws for the season. Connor Devine attempted 31 in his 8.3 minutes in 27 games. Orris shot the ball 130 times last year which compares to Thiessen who shot the ball 135 times at a 52.6% clip. I am sure that this young man is a quality kid and a good athlete since he has had interest from Illinois, K-State, NIU, and now SDSU as a player. He appears to be a good ball handler who may be an iffy shooter that the defense may be able to sag off to double another threat. Orris will need to step up his offense to stay ahead of Gentry which would mean driving the ball and getting to the free throw line if the shooting percentage remains cool.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Looking at the numbers, it will be difficult to keep Orris ahead of Gentry unless he improves on the 27.7% field goal, 12.2% 3 pt shooting, and 52.4% free throw. He had 22 starts in 33 games. Orris did average 3 assists per game while only turning over the ball 1.5 times. He averaged 21.7 minutes per game. He only attempted 21 free throws for the season. Connor Devine attempted 31 in his 8.3 minutes in 27 games. Orris shot the ball 130 times last year which compares to Thiessen who shot the ball 135 times at a 52.6% clip. I am sure that this young man is a quality kid and a good athlete since he has had interest from Illinois, K-State, NIU, and now SDSU as a player. He appears to be a good ball handler who may be an iffy shooter that the defense may be able to sag off to double another threat. Orris will need to step up his offense to stay ahead of Gentry which would mean driving the ball and getting to the free throw line if the shooting percentage remains cool.
                            What makes you think Gentry is any better offensively at this point? Also, Gentry is like 5' 8" and a freshman, whereas Orris is a senior. Experience matters at the PG position. Oh...and Gentry is a Nagy recruit, Orris is a TJ recruit...just sayin'.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              What makes you think Gentry is any better offensively at this point? Also, Gentry is like 5' 8" and a freshman, whereas Orris is a senior. Experience matters at the PG position. Oh...and Gentry is a Nagy recruit, Orris is a TJ recruit...just sayin'.
                              I know that Gentry's stats are from high school but he shot 48%- from 3 point line, 55%- FG's and 80%- FT's.

Gentry- 80% FT
                              Orris- 52.4% FT

Gentry- 48% 3-point FG
                              Orris- 12.2% 3- point FG

Gentry- 55% FG
                              Orris- 27.7% FG

This is high school compared to college so we will see but the numbers do stick out.

I know that some players don't fit into other coaches game plans but I can't see players like Daum sitting out because they are Nagy recruits. I can only hope that Gentry steps in like Daum did but that is an extreme example.

Was Orris on TJ's list at Iowa State? Was Rob looking at him for SDSU since we were really short at the guard position? I assume that the juco coming in was part of the Rob/Nagy players not TJ's.

I think that both Gentry and Orris will get between 15 and 25 minutes. Orris might start because he is a senior (early on) but who know how it will be at the end of the season. I juts hope that they both play and help win games.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                The "Future Rosters" Thread on the WBB page has been helpful for keeping track of where we are at with scholarships and looking ahead to future years. I figured it was time to start one for MBB.

Senior:
                                A.J. Hess, Forward
                                Michael Orris, Guard

Junior:
                                Reed Tellinghuisen, Forward
                                Ian Theisen, Center
                                Lane Severyn, Forward
                                Andre Wallace, Guard

Soph:
                                Skyler Flatten, Guard (Pending Medical Waiver)
                                Mike Daum, Forward
                                Tevin King, Guard
                                Chris Howell, Guard

Frosh:
                                Sergio El Darwich, Guard
                                Cole Gentry, Guard
                                Adam Dykman, Forward

2017:
                                Alou Dillon, Forward
                                Ryan Krueger, Guard
                                Alex Arians, Guard
                                Updated with recent additions.
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X