• Re: Future Rosters

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    Daum is the exception to the rule.
    What rule is that?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      What rule is that?
      Most will not turn into a Daum just by redshirting a year. For the most part talent is not developed it is recruited...Daum is the exception to this rule. For fun what other players have we had that would make up our top 10 redshirt list?

Comment

Most will not turn into a Daum just by redshirting a year. For the most part talent is not developed it is recruited...Daum is the exception to this rule. For fun what other players have we had that would make up our top 10 redshirt list?
        I thought the story that accompanied the recruiting of Daum was that he was scorching the net from 3 pt shots. He needed to get into D1 basketball condition to show the rest of his talent.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          I thought the story that accompanied the recruiting of Daum was that he was scorching the net from 3 pt shots. He needed to get into D1 basketball condition to show the rest of his talent.
          You are correct on that.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            How many "Daum-type" players has SDSU had in it's history? This discussion about losing red-shirts to grad transfer is groundless. How many players have we lost to that rule since it was implemented? Like I said earlier in the thread, I hope that we are talking about how all these red-shirts are thinking about transferring out because that would mean it is the most talented class overall that SDSU has ever seen. I will take that.
            I think you can make examples for both sides of this discussion.
            DeVine did redshirt and he did the grad transfer route. He is no Daum but he did transfer out.
            Doyle, Dykman, Dolan and others have redshirted and then they transferred out. If we use a scholarship and redshirt players than they transfer out, we will run out of players.
            We have a new coach so we might not have transfer problems anymore but we might.

I know us redshirting four players is an exception to the rule but we only have 13 scholarships.
            If Daum grad transferred this year, we would only have 8 players to play the games. We can't count on a player leaving the team but you never know. Just think if we have a injury this year. Other than one player leaving the team we haven't had any injuries, grad transfers or anything else happen this season. I know that Brown is out and he would be a body if need be so could we need to rely on walk-ons.
            I guess it just depends on if you feel good about playing a season with only 9 or so scholarship players and hope for the best.
            Hopefully the coaches have a backup plan if two players from this class transfer out and we have three freshmen that we will want to redshirt. Juco or grad transfer here we come.
            Lots of ifs but this could

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
              DeVine did redshirt and he did the grad transfer route. He is no Daum but he did transfer out.
              Doyle, Dykman, Dolan and others have redshirted and then they transferred out. If we use a scholarship and redshirt players than they transfer out, we will run out of players.
              We have a new coach so we might not have transfer problems anymore but we might.
              If I am not mistaken, most of those transfers saw the writing on the wall and transferred out because they just didn't fit with the direction of the team's gameplan.

I know us redshirting four players is an exception to the rule but we only have 13 scholarships.
              If Daum grad transferred this year, we would only have 8 players to play the games. We can't count on a player leaving the team but you never know. Just think if we have a injury this year. Other than one player leaving the team we haven't had any injuries, grad transfers or anything else happen this season. I know that Brown is out and he would be a body if need be so could we need to rely on walk-ons.
              I guess it just depends on if you feel good about playing a season with only 9 or so scholarship players and hope for the best.
              Hopefully the coaches have a backup plan if two players from this class transfer out and we have three freshmen that we will want to redshirt. Juco or grad transfer here we come.
              Had Daum transferred this year, which he couldn't have, then they wouldn't have red-shirted one of the forwards. And, if the injury bug hits the team, there isn't a rule that says the guys couldn't have their red shirt pulled.

I am fairly certain that the coaching staff and the players they plan to red-shirt have the discussion well before the season starts. Part of me wonders if they had red-shirted Polk-Hilliard if he would still be with the program.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Most players won't turn into Daum ever. Don't think I ever said that all redshirts would. But a year of development and maturity are valuable, especially at our level.

For the most part talent is not developed it is recruited...Daum is the exception to this rule.
                Chicken and egg argument. I sure wouldn't say Daum wasn't talented before he came here. He's taken it upon himself to make the most of his god given abilities. Some guys with the most talent in the world never amount to anything. Some guys like Nate Wolters and Daum make the most out of their talent from hard work. The majority of our recruits are going to be projects. Some will miss, some will develop into studs.

For fun what other players have we had that would make up our top 10 redshirt list?
                We haven't had the luxury of red shirting players since we've gone DI so there isn't a "list". One guy that comes to mind that benefitted from a red shirt year: Brayden Carlson.

If we want to say redshirting doesn't help, name the last true freshman (not one that went to prep school either) that made a giant impact on the program. Nate Wolters? He nearly doubled his production between his true freshman and sophomore year. Some of that can be attributed to his experience playing his freshman year and some is the fact he worked on his weaknesses and matured during that time. We couldn't redshirt Nate because of other issues but a "5th year" of him would have been pretty awesome.

I'm not super rigid on the redshirt thing, but do think it can really help us. A year of gaining strength, learning SDSU's system, and working on weaknesses is valuable. This year, redshirting the freshman seems to be the right move becasue there aren't a ton of minutes available. I think losing grad transfers will be the exception more than the rule because we've got a lot of positives with the program. You can go to the NCAA tournament, you can get drafted, we've got great fan support, etc. As TJ has said, his job is to make it so players like Daum don't want to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Most players won't turn into Daum ever. Don't think I ever said that all redshirts would. But a year of development and maturity are valuable, especially at our level.

Chicken and egg argument. I sure wouldn't say Daum wasn't talented before he came here. He's taken it upon himself to make the most of his god given abilities. Some guys with the most talent in the world never amount to anything. Some guys like Nate Wolters and Daum make the most out of their talent from hard work. The majority of our recruits are going to be projects. Some will miss, some will develop into studs.

We haven't had the luxury of red shirting players since we've gone DI so there isn't a "list". One guy that comes to mind that benefitted from a red shirt year: Brayden Carlson.

If we want to say redshirting doesn't help, name the last true freshman (not one that went to prep school either) that made a giant impact on the program. Nate Wolters? He nearly doubled his production between his true freshman and sophomore year. Some of that can be attributed to his experience playing his freshman year and some is the fact he worked on his weaknesses and matured during that time. We couldn't redshirt Nate because of other issues but a "5th year" of him would have been pretty awesome.

I'm not super rigid on the redshirt thing, but do think it can really help us. A year of gaining strength, learning SDSU's system, and working on weaknesses is valuable. This year, redshirting the freshman seems to be the right move becasue there aren't a ton of minutes available. I think losing grad transfers will be the exception more than the rule because we've got a lot of positives with the program. You can go to the NCAA tournament, you can get drafted, we've got great fan support, etc. As TJ has said, his job is to make it so players like Daum don't want to leave.
                  Oh don't get me wrong I'm not totally for or against either way but I also feel that in each recruiting class you should have a player that can come in and contribute right away. Red shirts for me are hard to gauge. We can say that the redshirt year really helped this guy but how do you really know since we never seen him play before? One thing I look at is you also have an extra year invested in these kids. If the current kids stay the five years that is basically 4 less kids you can recruit in that time frame. Thanx for the good discussion ! Oops almost forgot.....I could care less about the grad transfer deal as I think we will gain more than we lose.

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not totally for or against either way but I also feel that in each recruiting class you should have a player that can come in and contribute right away.
                    I would bet that in years past that not all of these men would have been sitting out a season. With the team that has been built in a short time, there just isn't the need to press them into service. We are in a much better position as program now than I feel we ever have been...
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I would bet that in years past that not all of these men would have been sitting out a season. With the team that has been built in a short time, there just isn't the need to press them into service. We are in a much better position as program now than I feel we ever have been...
                      I completely agree.

Comment

Yes. Tellinghuisen is a good example. He was skinny and raw but there was a big need at his position so into the fire he went. How’d you like to have him here next year?

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not totally for or against either way but I also feel that in each recruiting class you should have a player that can come in and contribute right away. Red shirts for me are hard to gauge. We can say that the redshirt year really helped this guy but how do you really know since we never seen him play before? One thing I look at is you also have an extra year invested in these kids. If the current kids stay the five years that is basically 4 less kids you can recruit in that time frame. Thanx for the good discussion ! Oops almost forgot.....I could care less about the grad transfer deal as I think we will gain more than we lose.
                          Agree it's a year to year and player to player deal because each and every situation is different no doubt. I'm really happy with the state of the program and direction it seems to be heading.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Devine grad-transferred because he and his wife and new baby wanted to be closer to family in Alaska.

Comment

It worked for Coach Miles when he was at NDSU during the transition period. How can we ever forget Ben Woodsides, who grandfather was a VOLGA COSSACK. Gramps was overlooked by SDSU too, and went Huron College IIRC.

Comment

Per Mark Miller (@wisbbyearbook) twitter Howell graduating in summer and transferring.

Comment

Working...
                                X