Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Rosters

Default Re: Future Rosters

Quote Originally Posted by tbjack View Post
    You're right it doesn't matter what we "call" him. But if you're starting Polk-Hilliard and Dillon he is ESSENTIALLY the 2. Teams would be forced to guard Telly with a smaller player as you couldn't have a guy like Paul Miller guard any of the other 3 and keep them off the glass. It's also more so affects a lot with how WE guard if Telly is ESSENTIALLY the 2. He's then not having to guard 6-9 freak athletes like Williams. The point is that lineup(if things pan out) I feel creates mismatches for us on offense and helps us matchup wise defensively against the P5 schools.

P.S. Polk-Hilliard was named co-player of the year in his Ju-Co conference this year. Not sure if that was reported on here.
    Westside mentioned playing Telly and Howell at the same time. Then having Telly guard their 3 and Howell the 2. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

Your scenario does but I would doubt Telly can guard a P5 2 guard effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I'm struggling to see what the advantage to calling Telly the "2 guard" would do. Just because he's a 2 doesn't mean the other team will guard him with their 2.
    Boxed. You're right
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

With Daum getting the national attention that he has been getting, does anyone think that a higher profile transfer is in the cards for us this off-season? Seems like Coach TJ has connections all over the place and maybe he could land someone who wants to play with Daum for the next 2 years.

It isn't possible that a transfer would be able to play with Daum for two years, as he only has two years left and a regular transfer would have to sit a year. A grad transfer might be a possibility, but the roster is already over-full unless we have more people leaving. I do agree that the national exposure that the program has received (and will continue to receive) through Mike and by making the Big Dance again, combined with Otz's recruiting connections will help get even better players to SDSU. I think that sometime in the next couple of years that we will get a player or two here that we never thought we would be in the mix for.

In a perfect world, TJ would have a team deep enough at the post to play Daum at a power 4 position and Telly as a 3, I think.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    In a perfect world, TJ would have a team deep enough at the post to play Daum at a power 4 position and Telly as a 3, I think.
    A perfect world is always on the list. The Omaha game had that lineup in there until Theisen went down.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Westside mentioned playing Telly and Howell at the same time. Then having Telly guard their 3 and Howell the 2. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

Your scenario does but I would doubt Telly can guard a P5 2 guard effectively.
    I'm just curious what position do you see Howell guarding effectively? I find it funny that Severyn has to guard the 5 (when Ian was injured) and Daum was out and then we play USD and he is guarding Mooney. I don't remember who was on the court but you would think that Howell, Orris, King or somebody like that would guard Mooney, not Severyn.

Quote Originally Posted by hometownjack View Post
    With Daum getting the national attention that he has been getting, does anyone think that a higher profile transfer is in the cards for us this off-season? Seems like Coach TJ has connections all over the place and maybe he could land someone who wants to play with Daum for the next 2 years.
    I get where you are coming from, but am skeptical of this line of thinking. Essentially a high profile transfer would be signing up to be (at best) #2 when there are countless opportunities for him to be #1 somewhere else. More than likely, best case scenario is for an incomer to be #3 since Telly is going to be a senior. Could even be #4 as Howell looked like a potential all conference player for the last 10 games of the year. I guess maybe if you are excited about passing to other guys to score, SDSU could be an attractive destination...
    ďI used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what Iím with isnít it, and whatís it seems scary and wierd. Itíll happen to you.Ē ó Abe Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I get where you are coming from, but am skeptical of this line of thinking. Essentially a high profile transfer would be signing up to be (at best) #2 when there are countless opportunities for him to be #1 somewhere else. More than likely, best case scenario is for an incomer to be #3 since Telly is going to be a senior. Could even be #4 as Howell looked like a potential all conference player for the last 10 games of the year. I guess maybe if you are excited about passing to other guys to score, SDSU could be an attractive destination...
    Or it could be someone like Orris or Hess, both of whom said they chose SDSU because of their odds of getting to the NCAA Tournament. Do you think Daum had anything to do with them coming to that conclusion? Maybe we no longer have room for such a player, but I'm sure there are grad-transfers out there that are looking to go out in style.

With the returning Juniors/Seniors I count 7 rotation guys, who all contributed at the end of the season.

And that doesn't count the incoming Juniors. Obviously be good to have a PG... could be Key. Could be Darwich. Heck even King and Howell can step in and play it in limited minutes. Maybe Arians steps in and fills the lead guard role from the get go?

Aside from any further defections... this team looks to be pretty good, and have some pretty solid depth.