Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Rosters

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    If the freshmen are as talented as we have been told, is it worth burning a year of eligibility for that 9 minutes/1 point a game? Or will they benefit more from a year of weight training and learning the system? In the past I don't think the team had the luxury of being able to red-shirt talented players. Daum's talent, Telly's work ethic, and the emergence of King and Jenkins Jr have allowed TJ to do it. I see it less as an indictment of the freshmen's talent, and more about the ability of the top 7 guys.
    Giving up their age 18/19 season for their age 22/23 season. Works for me.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      The grad-transfer issue is the one negative I see at this point.
      I guess I am not as worried about a potential grad transfer as some on this board. If they are good enough to be lost in the grad transfer, so be it.

The more I think about it...I hope that all 4 of them are threats to leave via grad transfer. That would mean that we got to see some really amazing basketball for the next 3 years after this season. I may not be a recruiter, but to go into a house and show kids what they can accomplish and were they can go by joining the SDSU program would sway a few very good players to replace those 4.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I guess I am not as worried about a potential grad transfer as some on this board. If they are good enough to be lost in the grad transfer, so be it.

The more I think about it...I hope that all 4 of them are threats to leave via grad transfer. That would mean that we got to see some really amazing basketball for the next 3 years after this season. I may not be a recruiter, but to go into a house and show kids what they can accomplish and were they can go by joining the SDSU program would sway a few very good players to replace those 4.
        I'm also not worried about the grad transfer.

Let's say a kid doesn't redshirt we get: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior years

If he redshirts and leaves via grad transfer: redshirt, redshirt freshman, sophomore, junior years

The difference is we get the freshman year out of the first scenario. If the player doesn't transfer we get a 5th year senior. I'll take that trade every day.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I'm also not worried about the grad transfer.

Let's say a kid doesn't redshirt we get: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior years

If he redshirts and leaves via grad transfer: redshirt, redshirt freshman, sophomore, junior years

The difference is we get the freshman year out of the first scenario. If the player doesn't transfer we get a 5th year senior. I'll take that trade every day.
          Yes, but he doesn't play his redshirt year ... in order words you get only 3 years of actual game play versus 4 years in the first scenario.

Your math doesn't work ... in scenario #1 you get years 1, 2, 3 & 4 from the player and scenario #2 you get years 2, 3 & 4 (year 1 is a redshirt year and year 5 is lost as he leaves for another school).

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I can't decide if thinking that one of the freshman couldn't "supplant" a player that plays 9 minutes/game and only averages 1 PPG is good or bad. I really like Lane so I am glad that he gets to play but what does this tell you about our freshmen? I do think that Lane will hit some outside shots so his PPG will come up but that is where he is at now.
            I think having a year to sit out helps most players but who knows what will happen four years from now. Will all the the freshmen still be here? Will TJ still be here? Will they all be healthy? Will none of them think about being a grad transfer? If we start winning games in the NCAA tournament will TJ be able to recruit better players and recruit over our freshmen?
            I am not the coach so I don't know what they can and can not do, if they are completely healthy or what is up but there are other things to look at for me.
            TJ prefers a small rotation of players ... 7 or 8 at the most. That is a challenge when you've got 13 talented players on a roster. Having the ability to redshirt 2, 3 or 4 in a year alleviates for a good part of the roster the "why am I not playing" issue.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
              Yes, but he doesn't play his redshirt year ... in order words you get only 3 years of actual game play versus 4 years in the first scenario.

Your math doesn't work ... in scenario #1 you get years 1, 2, 3 & 4 from the player and scenario #2 you get years 2, 3 & 4 (year 1 is a redshirt year and year 5 is lost as he leaves for another school).
              Again, I don't see the issue with scenario #2. If you have a coaching staff that is able to recruit to their game plan, there should be a couple players ready to step into the spot that was open by the grad transfer.

In either scenario you are really only getting 3 full years of meaningful playing time (Jenkins Jr being the exception this year).

Comment

Again, I don't see the issue with scenario #2. If you have a coaching staff that is able to recruit to their game plan, there should be a couple players ready to step into the spot that was open by the grad transfer.

In either scenario you are really only getting 3 full years of meaningful playing time (Jenkins Jr being the exception this year).
                The issue is that you get 3 years vs. 4. With the 4th being the most meaningful year for most college athletes. Recruiting is far from a science so I'd rather not bank on the fact I'm going to find the next Daum type player if the previous Daum-type player grad transfers with a year of eligibility remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  The issue is that you get 3 years vs. 4. With the 4th being the most meaningful year for most college athletes. Recruiting is far from a science so I'd rather not bank on the fact I'm going to find the next Daum type player if the previous Daum-type player grad transfers with a year of eligibility remaining.
                  How many "Daum-type" players has SDSU had in it's history? This discussion about losing red-shirts to grad transfer is groundless. How many players have we lost to that rule since it was implemented? Like I said earlier in the thread, I hope that we are talking about how all these red-shirts are thinking about transferring out because that would mean it is the most talented class overall that SDSU has ever seen. I will take that.

Comment

Let's say that Daum didn't redshirt. How much does he play his freshman year while he is getting his body prepared to play at this level? This year he'd be a senior and we'd be watching the last few games of the greatest player in school history.

I'm all in on scenario 2. If he stays we are in for an unbelievably productive 5th year. I'll take Daum as a 22-23 year old man instead of the pudgy 18 year old kid every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If he transfers? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Math works fine. 4 compared to 3 if he transfers. I'm not trying to prove you get an equal number of years. The junior year when he redshirts is equal to the senior year when he doesn't with a chance we get a 5th year senior if he redshirts and doesn't transfer.

At this level you won't likely won't be getting much from a true freshman out of high school. Remember DJJ went to prep school so he's a really a sophomore age-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                        Let's say that Daum didn't redshirt. How much does he play his freshman year while he is getting his body prepared to play at this level? This year he'd be a senior and we'd be watching the last few games of the greatest player in school history.

I'm all in on scenario 2. If he stays we are in for an unbelievably productive 5th year. I'll take Daum as a 22-23 year old man instead of the pudgy 18 year old kid every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If he transfers? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                        Exactly. The value of a redshirt year can't be underestimated.

Wolters averaged 10.1 ppg his true freshman year. That jumped to 19.5 his sophomore year, 21.2 ppg his junior year, and 22.3 ppg his senior year.

We were 14-16 his freshman year. I'd trade his freshman year for a chance (probably likely chance...) at a 5th year senior year.

Comment

Exactly. The value of a redshirt year can't be underestimated.

Wolters averaged 10.1 ppg his true freshman year. That jumped to 19.5 his sophomore year, 21.2 ppg his junior year, and 22.3 ppg his senior year.

We were 14-16 his freshman year. I'd trade his freshman year for a chance (probably likely chance...) at a 5th year senior year.
                          I think that Nate is the perfect example of someone that should have been red-shirted. However, the program just wasn't in a place where that was an option.

Comment

I think that Nate is the perfect example of someone that should have been red-shirted. However, the program just wasn't in a place where that was an option.
                            Truth. There are lots of variables and it's not a one size fits all deal. The fact is most freshman at our level just aren't ready as true freshman. Daum is the perfect example of that. It's been said many times the coaches really didn't think he'd ever see the floor but he used that redshirt year to transform himself.

Comment

Truth. There are lots of variables and it's not a one size fits all deal. The fact is most freshman at our level just aren't ready as true freshman. Daum is the perfect example of that. It's been said many times the coaches really didn't think he'd ever see the floor but he used that redshirt year to transform himself.
                              Daum is the exception to the rule. For every Daum you can probably find 2 or 3 red shirts that never seen playing time or transferred out. I wish more players would go the prep school route. They gain more by playing than watching plus there is more time to evaluate.

Comment

The guys that are ready to take over a game as a true Freshman probably aren't going to come to SDSU. Those guys gets snapped up by the P5 schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X