X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Rosters

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Hit the nail on the head here.

Sure, it won't be tough to find a player who can shoot better than Michael Orris from the point guard position, but replacing his leadership, game management, defense, and ball handling is a completely different story. It wasn't a coincidence that the Jacks' fortunes turned when Orris got established as the full time point guard.
    Disagree on game management, ball handling and decision making.

How many times did we see Orris dribble into the paint and try and kick it out only to have it tipped, deflected or stolen outright? The decision to ride Orris down the stretch was a good one, he played to the best of his abilities and they won the conference tourney because of him but my goodness there is a lot of upside available for PG play.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

How many times did we see Orris dribble into the paint and try and kick it out only to have it tipped, deflected or stolen outright? The decision to ride Orris down the stretch was a good one, he played to the best of his abilities and they won the conference tourney because of him but my goodness there is a lot of upside available for PG play.
      Absolutely, but we really have no clue if Key or El Darwich can fill even the minimal expectations.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Absolutely, but we really have no clue if Key or El Darwich can fill even the minimal expectations.
        A mouthful here.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          At this time, it appears Coach Otz has early intentions to go with these guys. The balance of the new guys appear to be SG or forwards according to the "tags" that are applied for position in the past. Chris Howell and Tevin King are both penned as shooting guards who have seen PG activity, so we all know those tags are not carved in stone. However, if either of those were to slide into the PG fulltime; there would be a tremendous amount of work required. Beau Brown would be the other dark horse candidate and I have not seen enough of this young man to know where his talents would rise. I do remember many thought a young man named Moffitt did not belong on the floor at one time. Meanwhile, we have minimum expectations from El Darwich and Key and the situation that Coach Otz has 6 or 7 months to remedy this riddle.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I just read the replay of Zimmer's chat from yesterday, and I'm confused. First, he said that he thinks Dillon will redshirt because of the depth we have in the post. Looking at the roster, Theisen is the only depth we have there, and his injury history makes me wonder if he can stay healthy for an entire season. And then a little later he said that he wouldn't be surprised if Theisen is in the starting lineup - which means there is no way Dillon can redshirt. I don't see any way Dillon redshirts - if any of the bigs coming in doesn't play I think it would be Dentlinger. Since it has been said he is paying his own way as a freshman, I would think he has been told he will be on scholarship for 4 years after that.

Comment

Recent stats for 34 games for Brandon Key.
              http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/201...brandonkey2ih7
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Recent stats for 34 games for Brandon Key.
                http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/201...brandonkey2ih7
                That was last year. Here is this year.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/201...brandonkeya27j
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

10% jump in 3 pt percentage from year 1 to year 2. Hopefully he sees another 10% jump between 2 & 3.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Orris was pretty close to having a 2:1 assist/TO ratio, so he was more than adequate at taking care of the ball. I always thought the complaint against his "dribbling around the paint" was a bit over blown. People seem to remember the turnovers but forget how often it got the defense out of position and turned the possession from "him taking a poor shot" to "the team getting a good shot".

I agree that there is a lot of upside that "could" come from the point guard position, however, Orris was solid (but not great) at a lot of things that nobody on the current roster has proven they can do at the Division 1 level. There is potential that what Orris brought to the table can be replaced or exceed, but I'm not going to assume it's just going to happen.
                    Last edited by Kemo; 03-22-2017, 09:41 PM.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      That was last year. Here is this year.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/201...brandonkeya27j
                      The assist number was better moving from 5.7 to 7.3 and fewer turnovers improved from 2.9 to 2.6. He must be showing improvement and he seems to be a distributor for 19-10 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Orris was pretty close to having a 2:1 assist/TO ratio, so he was more than adequate at taking care of the ball. I always thought the complaint against his "dribbling around the paint" was a bit over blown. People seem to remember the turnovers but forget how often it got the defense out of position and turned the position from "him taking a poor shot" to "the team getting a good shot".

I agree that there is a lot of upside that "could" come from the point guard position, however, Orris was solid (but not great) at a lot of things that nobody on the current roster has proven they can do at the Division 1 level. There is potential that what Orris brought to the table can be replaced or exceed, but I'm not going to assume it's just going to happen.
                        I didn't mind him going in, at least he could either attack if it really was open which I felt he was pretty good at, or if nothing there dribble back out or get an open shooter sometimes. yeah he would get in trouble but I would rather have him dribble and running around not Howell or anyone else really.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just posted on Twitter from verbal commits, that El Darwich is leaving the program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Just posted on Twitter from verbal commits, that El Darwich is leaving the program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                            Too bad. Was curious to see what kind of strides he'd make during the offseason.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Wallace, El-Darwich, and Dykman are the three that many will speculate. Two will be gone. Any others would be a surprise. Tough decisions to be made.
                              And all three are now gone.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

An open scholarship for an impact player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X