Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Rosters

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
    You're right it doesn't matter what we "call" him. But if you're starting Polk-Hilliard and Dillon he is ESSENTIALLY the 2. Teams would be forced to guard Telly with a smaller player as you couldn't have a guy like Paul Miller guard any of the other 3 and keep them off the glass. It's also more so affects a lot with how WE guard if Telly is ESSENTIALLY the 2. He's then not having to guard 6-9 freak athletes like Williams. The point is that lineup(if things pan out) I feel creates mismatches for us on offense and helps us matchup wise defensively against the P5 schools.

P.S. Polk-Hilliard was named co-player of the year in his Ju-Co conference this year. Not sure if that was reported on here.
    Westside mentioned playing Telly and Howell at the same time. Then having Telly guard their 3 and Howell the 2. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

Your scenario does but I would doubt Telly can guard a P5 2 guard effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I'm struggling to see what the advantage to calling Telly the "2 guard" would do. Just because he's a 2 doesn't mean the other team will guard him with their 2.
      Boxed. You're right
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

With Daum getting the national attention that he has been getting, does anyone think that a higher profile transfer is in the cards for us this off-season? Seems like Coach TJ has connections all over the place and maybe he could land someone who wants to play with Daum for the next 2 years.

Comment

It isn't possible that a transfer would be able to play with Daum for two years, as he only has two years left and a regular transfer would have to sit a year. A grad transfer might be a possibility, but the roster is already over-full unless we have more people leaving. I do agree that the national exposure that the program has received (and will continue to receive) through Mike and by making the Big Dance again, combined with Otz's recruiting connections will help get even better players to SDSU. I think that sometime in the next couple of years that we will get a player or two here that we never thought we would be in the mix for.

Comment

In a perfect world, TJ would have a team deep enough at the post to play Daum at a power 4 position and Telly as a 3, I think.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              In a perfect world, TJ would have a team deep enough at the post to play Daum at a power 4 position and Telly as a 3, I think.
              A perfect world is always on the list. The Omaha game had that lineup in there until Theisen went down.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Westside mentioned playing Telly and Howell at the same time. Then having Telly guard their 3 and Howell the 2. That's where it doesn't make sense to me.

Your scenario does but I would doubt Telly can guard a P5 2 guard effectively.
                I'm just curious what position do you see Howell guarding effectively? I find it funny that Severyn has to guard the 5 (when Ian was injured) and Daum was out and then we play USD and he is guarding Mooney. I don't remember who was on the court but you would think that Howell, Orris, King or somebody like that would guard Mooney, not Severyn.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                  With Daum getting the national attention that he has been getting, does anyone think that a higher profile transfer is in the cards for us this off-season? Seems like Coach TJ has connections all over the place and maybe he could land someone who wants to play with Daum for the next 2 years.
                  I get where you are coming from, but am skeptical of this line of thinking. Essentially a high profile transfer would be signing up to be (at best) #2 when there are countless opportunities for him to be #1 somewhere else. More than likely, best case scenario is for an incomer to be #3 since Telly is going to be a senior. Could even be #4 as Howell looked like a potential all conference player for the last 10 games of the year. I guess maybe if you are excited about passing to other guys to score, SDSU could be an attractive destination...
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    I get where you are coming from, but am skeptical of this line of thinking. Essentially a high profile transfer would be signing up to be (at best) #2 when there are countless opportunities for him to be #1 somewhere else. More than likely, best case scenario is for an incomer to be #3 since Telly is going to be a senior. Could even be #4 as Howell looked like a potential all conference player for the last 10 games of the year. I guess maybe if you are excited about passing to other guys to score, SDSU could be an attractive destination...
                    Or it could be someone like Orris or Hess, both of whom said they chose SDSU because of their odds of getting to the NCAA Tournament. Do you think Daum had anything to do with them coming to that conclusion? Maybe we no longer have room for such a player, but I'm sure there are grad-transfers out there that are looking to go out in style.

Comment

• Re: Future Rosters

With the returning Juniors/Seniors I count 7 rotation guys, who all contributed at the end of the season.

And that doesn't count the incoming Juniors. Obviously be good to have a PG... could be Key. Could be Darwich. Heck even King and Howell can step in and play it in limited minutes. Maybe Arians steps in and fills the lead guard role from the get go?

Aside from any further defections... this team looks to be pretty good, and have some pretty solid depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                        Or it could be someone like Orris or Hess, both of whom said they chose SDSU because of their odds of getting to the NCAA Tournament. Do you think Daum had anything to do with them coming to that conclusion? Maybe we no longer have room for such a player, but I'm sure there are grad-transfers out there that are looking to go out in style.
                        Already a great number lining up from a number of schools. I would think we'd continue to be open to 1 yr options. Otz has a reputation and history of effective signees at ISU and SDSU

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          This makes more sense than players wanting to go to a school solely to play with a stud. Maybe that's what OP was getting at and I misunderstood.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            This makes more sense than players wanting to go to a school solely to play with a stud. Maybe that's what OP was getting at and I misunderstood.
                            I think it would be a win win for a guy looking to transfer in and wants some publicity for the chance of making a career in basketball. Play with Daum and scouts will be at your games, not to mention your chance of making the big dance improves and that only gets you more exposure. Will be interesting to see what happens, I remember thinking this might happen when Nate was getting all the exposure, but TJ also has more experience with transfers and more connections then Nagy did.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              I'm just curious what position do you see Howell guarding effectively? I find it funny that Severyn has to guard the 5 (when Ian was injured) and Daum was out and then we play USD and he is guarding Mooney. I don't remember who was on the court but you would think that Howell, Orris, King or somebody like that would guard Mooney, not Severyn.
                              I'd have to say Howell is best guarding a 2 or 3, maybe the point if the other pg isn't terribly quick.

I never noticed the range Lane would cover but now that you bring it up his versatility is valuable. I know Orris was on Mooney towards the end of the semifinal game.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                I think next year hinges on if Key can come in ready to go or if El Darwich makes some major improvement. If we have to rely on King or Howell to play PG we may be in trouble (nothing against them, it's just not their strength).
                                Hit the nail on the head here.

Sure, it won't be tough to find a player who can shoot better than Michael Orris from the point guard position, but replacing his leadership, game management, defense, and ball handling is a completely different story. It wasn't a coincidence that the Jacks' fortunes turned when Orris got established as the full time point guard.

Brandon Key and Sergio El-Darwich are the most likely candidates, and the team will need at least one, preferably both, to be able to step up and conduct the offense.

Key looks very quick and has been running his JuCo team for a couple of years, but with junior college players, it can be really hard to predict how they will adapt to the uptick in level of competition and the role they will have on their new team (which can be significantly different). Just look at our recent jucos: Deondre Parks came in as a touted scorer, but struggled out of the gate only to not only become a pretty good offense player, but likely our best perimeter defender by the time he graduated. At the start of this year, Andre Wallace looked to be our starting 2 guard for the next couple of years while Chris Howell looked like he might be riding the pine, but by midseason the opposite was true. I expect if Key wins the job at the start of the year it might be a bumpy OOC, but hopefully he'll have it figured out by conference play. My biggest concern with Key is, since he is only 5'9", that he could struggle to finish around the rim. Getting by your defender is great, but if you're not a threat to put the ball in the hoop, it makes it difficult to get the opposing defense in a scramble, which is "key" for creating open shots for his teammates.

El-Darwich has fascinated me with his potential since he started getting reps at the Sanford Pentagon Classic. His court vision instantly stood out to me, but he just needed to clean up a bunch of little things in different areas of his game in order for him to become a legitimate starting point guard in this league. He was a little loose with his dribble (and quite frankly carried the ball a lot on his crossover); he would follow a good play with a poor decision a lot (to be expected from a freshman); he showed he could finish inside with his size but needed more consistency doing so; he had a decent looking shot but didn't shoot with confidence; he got into the passing lanes on defense but didn't appear to be a great on-ball defender (though we were in zone, so it was tough to tell); and so forth. To me this is a make or break offseason for him. I honestly think he has a very high ceiling, but it's going to take a lot of extra hours in the gym to realize it. How much we see of Sergio next year will likely come down to whether he embraces developing his fundamentals in the after-practice hours or if he just puts in the required amount of work.

As far as King and Howell at point: I think at best they can be used to spell whoever wins the starting point guard job if the backup isn't good enough to warrant minutes, but they are 2 guards and shouldn't be expected to play the point extensively.
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X