Future Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Rosters

I count 15 on the roster now with 13 on scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      I count 15 on the roster now with 13 on scholarship.
      how? As I counted 15 on the roster before it was announced that Dykman and Wallace would transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        how? As I counted 15 on the roster before it was announced that Dykman and Wallace would transfer?
        I think he is counting the incoming players.

Comment

I count 8 remaining players on scholarship - Flatten, King, Howell, El Darwich, Telly, Daum, Severyn and Theisen. With 6 incoming that gets us to 14 for 13 scholarships. I believe it was previously said that Dentlinger is walking on for his first year, so that would put us at 13 if nobody else leaves. In addition, Beau Brown is also a walk-on.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
            The "Future Rosters" Thread on the WBB page has been helpful for keeping track of where we are at with scholarships and looking ahead to future years. I figured it was time to start one for MBB.

Senior:
            Reed Tellinghuisen, Forward
            Ian Theisen, Center
            Skyler Flatten, Guard (Pending Medical Waiver, could be a Junior)
            Lane Severyn, Forward

Junior:
            Mike Daum, Forward
            Tevin King, Guard
            Chris Howell, Guard
            Brandon Key, Guard
            Dallas Polk-Hilliard, Forward

Sophomore:
            Sergio El Darwich, Guard
            Beau Brown, Guard (non-scholarship)

Freshmen:
            Alou Dillon, Forward
            Ryan Krueger, Guard
            Alex Arians, Guard
            Matt Dentlinger, Post (Grayshirt)

2018:
            Trevor Hansen, Post
            Owen King, PG
            Updated. If Dentlinger grayshirts we should be good to go.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I read an article a while back in which Dentlinger states he is walking on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

[QUOTE=Jackbacker123;313038]
                Updated for end of season. I wonder how long it will take to learn who is leaving?[/QUOTE

After watching this season I don't see where Flatten has much of future at SDSU. I as much as any South Dakotan, I had high hopes for Skyler but it doesn't seem like TJ is on the same page.

Dykman - Seems like Doyle. I mean seriously, Theisen goes out out for how many games and you can't see the court for a minute.

Wallace, I don't know what to think.

El Darwich - Not TJ's guy, might not have a future.

Severyn - Filled a gap this year but I can't imagine is in the cards for next year.
                Did anyone notice on Thursday Gonzaga went on their run when Layne got into foul trouble. Defense is very underrated.

Go Rabbits

Comment

Just looking at this future roster and dreaming a little......

What if Telly could play the 2 next year??!!? Could you imagine him posting up shooting guards as well as shooting over 6-2/6-3 guys? I also think he uses a ton of energy on defense in the post as an undersized 4. Not to mention what this would do for our rebounding having a shooting guard with his rebounding ability. I think he would have no trouble with his length staying in front of a smaller/quicker player.

This seems like a legitimate possibility when looking at our roster. Obviously this would require Dillon to be ready to go and as advertised to slide in to the 4 position(I know iffy with him being a freshman). He has the looks of a rebounding and rim protecting type we desperately need. We also would need Polk-Hilliard to show up ready to go, some improvement from Howell, or Severen if we need to play the 3. You still have Thiesen as an option to play a few more minutes at the 5 with Daum moving to the 4. I like Thiesen but would love to see him lose 10-15 pounds and show some improved mobility/quickness. With his ability to shoot the 3 I think he could carve out a role by slimming down a little.

A team that can bring Severen, Flatten, King, Thiesen off the bench and have a guy like Telly at the 2 is one that I think would have the size, athleticism, and depth to compete in and win an NCAA tourney game.

Sorry for the rant just excited about the possibilities with this team next year......

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                    Just looking at this future roster and dreaming a little......

What if Telly could play the 2 next year??!!? Could you imagine him posting up shooting guards as well as shooting over 6-2/6-3 guys? I also think he uses a ton of energy on defense in the post as an undersized 4. Not to mention what this would do for our rebounding having a shooting guard with his rebounding ability. I think he would have no trouble with his length staying in front of a smaller/quicker player.

This seems like a legitimate possibility when looking at our roster. Obviously this would require Dillon to be ready to go and as advertised to slide in to the 4 position(I know iffy with him being a freshman). He has the looks of a rebounding and rim protecting type we desperately need. We also would need Polk-Hilliard to show up ready to go, some improvement from Howell, or Severen if we need to play the 3. You still have Thiesen as an option to play a few more minutes at the 5 with Daum moving to the 4. I like Thiesen but would love to see him lose 10-15 pounds and show some improved mobility/quickness. With his ability to shoot the 3 I think he could carve out a role by slimming down a little.

A team that can bring Severen, Flatten, King, Thiesen off the bench and have a guy like Telly at the 2 is one that I think would have the size, athleticism, and depth to compete in and win an NCAA tourney game.

Sorry for the rant just excited about the possibilities with this team next year......
                    Agreed! I would love to see Telly play the 2. I think next year hinges on if Key can come in ready to go or if El Darwich makes some major improvement. If we have to rely on King or Howell to play PG we may be in trouble (nothing against them, it's just not their strength).

Comment

I see Telly's ideal spot to be the 3. Remember that he would also have to defend the 2 guards - there are a lot of them that are in the 6'2-6-5 range that are very quick, and have lots of screens set for them that he has to fight through. I think that in Otz's system, the 3 and 4 spots are pretty much interchangeable and Telly, Severyn and Polk-Hilliard could all share minutes there. Dillon seems like more of a 4/5 to me.

Comment

Hoping

Key 5'9".........King 6'2"
                        Tellinghuisen 6'7".......Flatten 6'5"
                        Polk-Hilliard 6'7"........Howell 6'5"
                        Dillon 6'8"........Severyn 6'5"
                        Daum 6'9".......Theisen 6'9"

Obviously relying on the new guys coming in and be difference makers. Lineup would be huge for a Summit League team. All starters would be capable shooters, which makes doubling off Daum tougher to defend. Maybe Severyn would start for defensive purposes. Really wishing Severyn becomes a 3-D type of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I see Telly's ideal spot to be the 3. Remember that he would also have to defend the 2 guards - there are a lot of them that are in the 6'2-6-5 range that are very quick, and have lots of screens set for them that he has to fight through. I think that in Otz's system, the 3 and 4 spots are pretty much interchangeable and Telly, Severyn and Polk-Hilliard could all share minutes there. Dillon seems like more of a 4/5 to me.
                          Not necessarily. Telly can guard the opponents 3 and Howell the 2. I think the 2, 3, and 4 are pretty interchangeable in our offense.

Comment

Not necessarily. Telly can guard the opponents 3 and Howell the 2. I think the 2, 3, and 4 are pretty interchangeable in our offense.
                            I'm struggling to see what the advantage to calling Telly the "2 guard" would do. Just because he's a 2 doesn't mean the other team will guard him with their 2.

Comment

Originally posted by dakotan heel View Post
                              Hoping

Key 5'9".........King 6'2"
                              Tellinghuisen 6'7".......Flatten 6'5"
                              Polk-Hilliard 6'7"........Howell 6'5"
                              Dillon 6'8"........Severyn 6'5"
                              Daum 6'9".......Theisen 6'9"

Obviously relying on the new guys coming in and be difference makers. Lineup would be huge for a Summit League team. All starters would be capable shooters, which makes doubling off Daum tougher to defend. Maybe Severyn would start for defensive purposes. Really wishing Severyn becomes a 3-D type of guy.
                              This is exactly the lineup I envisioned. Hopefully, we could then redshirt the other three incoming freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                I'm struggling to see what the advantage to calling Telly the "2 guard" would do. Just because he's a 2 doesn't mean the other team will guard him with their 2.
                                You're right it doesn't matter what we "call" him. But if you're starting Polk-Hilliard and Dillon he is ESSENTIALLY the 2. Teams would be forced to guard Telly with a smaller player as you couldn't have a guy like Paul Miller guard any of the other 3 and keep them off the glass. It's also more so affects a lot with how WE guard if Telly is ESSENTIALLY the 2. He's then not having to guard 6-9 freak athletes like Williams. The point is that lineup(if things pan out) I feel creates mismatches for us on offense and helps us matchup wise defensively against the P5 schools.

P.S. Polk-Hilliard was named co-player of the year in his Ju-Co conference this year. Not sure if that was reported on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X