News judgment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News judgment

KELO-TV just gave more prominent coverage to a four-day-old story about USD's new women's basketball coach than to the announcement of SDSU's new president. Some in the local media either lack good judgment or enjoy getting played like cheap fiddles.
    This space for lease.

Re: News judgment

USD didn't have their press conference until this morning and stations had all day to prepare stuff. Didn't the president news just break a couple of hours ago? And I'm assuming there wasn't a press conference yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
      USD didn't have their press conference until this morning and stations had all day to prepare stuff. Didn't the president news just break a couple of hours ago? And I'm assuming there wasn't a press conference yet.
      There might be some validity to this point. We'll see, I guess.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        KELO-TV just gave more prominent coverage to a four-day-old story about USD's new women's basketball coach than to the announcement of SDSU's new president. Some in the local media either lack good judgment or enjoy getting played like cheap fiddles.
        I disagree. KELO's announcements leading up to the 6:00 pm news mentioned both stories but featured SDSU over USD (which I thought made sense because it was the announcement of the naming of a new President to the largest university in the state vs naming a new coach). But overall it didn't occur to me that there was anything incorrect about how both news items were handled.

SDSU gets lots of attention from the TV stations.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I disagree. KELO's announcements leading up to the 6:00 pm news mentioned both stories but featured SDSU over USD (which I thought made sense because it was the announcement of the naming of a new President to the largest university in the state vs naming a new coach). But overall it didn't occur to me that there was anything incorrect about how both news items were handled.

SDSU gets lots of attention from the TV stations.
          A phrase involving mountains and molehills comes to mind.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Based on a general scan of news coverage to date, I think my point is valid. New coaches have become more newsworthy than new presidents, even in South Dakota.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Based on a general scan of news coverage to date, I think my point is valid. New coaches have become more newsworthy than new presidents, even in South Dakota.
              Like 10x more newsworthy. Should it be, probably not, but it is.

Comment

News judgment

Maybe 100x. Without looking, I honestly can't tell you the name or origin of the new SDSU president but I know who USD's coach is and where she came from. I'm not alone. I took the time to read about one and not the other, and I'm a big SDSU fan. It is what it is.

Comment

Then, in that case, KELO got it right (more attention to new coach hire than new SDSU President). Your first post claimed KELO got it wrong. The media is going to give some emphasis to what it thinks is more newsworthy and what it perceives is their audience's concept of what is more newsworthy.

This may be the funniest smack thread ever!

Added:
                  I'll stick with my opinion stated earlier ("...it didn't occur to me that there was anything incorrect about how both news items were handled. SDSU gets lots of attention from the TV stations.") which, I guess, is not in disagreement with the opinions that media attention to new-coach hires may be greater than media attention to new-president hires. I chimed in on this thread because I'm not a big fan of criticizing the media in general about news selection. But, that's just me. Everyone can feel free to take your shots -- the media has big shoulders and they sometimes thrive on controversy.

Oh, and: Bison suck.
                  Last edited by JackJD; 04-26-2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I would not want to be the news guy at KELO who decides what airs and what does not. It is true that coaches are better known than presidents, because of playing a game on more than one occasion in a given week. They get exposure which can be both good and bad. I am sure Dr. Dunn, and is he really related to Harvey, will do a great job running SDSU. His No 1. worry is to get all the USDA funds to run the experiment station but maybe most of that can now be shifted to the new Dean of Agriculture. Also Coach P, will most certainly pick up where Amy left off. It's a slow day, and everyone in Fargo is sitting on the edge of their chairs wondering who will draft Carson Wentz. Its absolutely crazy to quote Carson.

Comment

Putting "news judgment" in perspective, from Harvey Dunn himself: harveydunn.jpg Called School Day's End. Doubt these kids worried about who got top billing on KELO.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Putting "news judgment" in perspective, from Harvey Dunn himself: [ATTACH=CONFIG]787[/ATTACH] Called School Day's End. Doubt these kids worried about who got top billing on KELO.
                        Hilarious!!! Back then KELO was nothing more than a crystal set radio signal but maybe they don't go back that far in history. On second thought they might have been close enough to pick up the radio signal from Oldham which in the 1920's had a radio station.

Comment

The Argus Leader ran the initial story about Dr. Dunn being appointed president of SDSU on an inside page. It got less coverage than rehashed news about new basketball coaches. A week later, after people noticed that Dr. Dunn is a tribal member, the story has become front page news. Maybe TV will follow suit and give him more attention. I thought the appointment of a new president at the state's largest university should have been bigger news all along. That's all.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

I quit reading newspapers when the local paper ran a front page story of a woman who's flowers were stolen from her yard and then three days worth of one of their editors dispute with a neighbor. This in a metro area of 187,000 people with a lot more bigger stories than flowers and disputes.

Comment

The Argus Leader ran the initial story about Dr. Dunn being appointed president of SDSU on an inside page. It got less coverage than rehashed news about new basketball coaches. A week later, after people noticed that Dr. Dunn is a tribal member, the story has become front page news. Maybe TV will follow suit and give him more attention. I thought the appointment of a new president at the state's largest university should have been bigger news all along. That's all.
                              Silly rabbit. You don't get to decide what's "newsworthy." News professionals, editors, and "journalists" do. Especially those who get into the business with the aim of "making a difference" and "changing the world" rather than with a diligent focus on telling the truth--ALL of the truth, as much as they can possibly get away with telling.

That's why all the newspapers across the country are doing so marvellously well.

Flourishing, I hear.

(It is smack, right?)

(Yes, there are still some . . . far too few IMHO . . . true reporters and journalists whose focus is on truth-telling rather than difference-making. They are generally unpopular with their professional peers, from what I can tell.)

(And don't get me started on the odious, rampant, ESPN-inspired bent for dubbing mere beat reporters as "insiders." Makes my skin crawl, it does.)

Final thought: I've often thought it curious (and dangerous) that the news media is just about the only industry that regularly escapes spotlight-intense scrutiny on a regular basis. Mainly because they're the ones generally doing the scrutinizing.

But who watches the watchers?
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X