This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 recruits

Disappointing for me because I think the long term success of SDSU basketball will depend on keeping the best South Dakota talent at SDSU. IMO, we have dominated recruiting in South Dakota for quite awhile. I would hate to lose that advantage. If we want a chance at recruits like Mike Miller and Cody Larson (who are always going to be a longshot), we need to be the #1 in state choice for all South Dakota kids.

Hanson is one of the best our state has to offer.

If SDSU initiated the parting of ways, I hope Hanson doesn't end up at USD/NDSU and make us regret it. Would be especially frustrating if Hanson is beating us his Junior/Senior year of college after TJ has moved on to greener pastures...

If Hanson initiated the parting of ways, hope he is happy with his decision and finds what he is looking for.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just for the record, Trevor Hanson didn't make the All-USA Boys Basketball Team in South Dakota this past season, neither the first team nor the second team. His team mate at Sioux Valley, Tayt Vincent, made the first team, and he's going to Augie.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        Just for the record, Trevor Hanson didn't make the All-USA Boys Basketball Team in South Dakota this past season, neither the first team nor the second team. His team mate at Sioux Valley, Tayt Vincent, made the first team, and he's going to Augie.
        I don't know if Trevor is at, below or above SDSU's level. He did get in foul trouble in a few games but I think he averaged 13.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2 blocks a game this season. Not earth scattering but not bad.

He also had 2 players on his team that MADE 9 3-pointers in a game this season. You would think that would open things up down low but I think Sioux Valley shot more than their fair share of 3's. I know the coaches kid (Tayt) played a lot of varsity basketball as a 7th grader because he could shoot. They have another player that played a lot as a 8th grader because he could shoot and handle the ball. Those two are both starters this season and they have a third starting guard that is the other player, than Tayt, that made 9- 3's.

Trevor got some shots but I would say that Sioux Valley has 2 players that shoot over half of their shots. Trevor might be 3rd on the team (a guess) but that isn't a ton of shots for a 6'7" post that some people think is DI material. I don't know if both players that made 9 3-pointers will play DII basketball but they are talented players. Sioux Valley was rated #1 in state so what they were doing must have worked until they lost to Dakota Valley in the round of 16.
        Trevor's name got out last summer when he was playing AAU ball so we'll see what happens this summer.
        I don't coach SDSU or SV so I don't know if I am completely correct but this is my take.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          I don't know if Trevor is at, below or above SDSU's level. He did get in foul trouble in a few games but I think he averaged 13.5 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2 blocks a game this season. Not earth scattering but not bad.

He also had 2 players on his team that MADE 9 3-pointers in a game this season. You would think that would open things up down low but I think Sioux Valley shot more than their fair share of 3's. I know the coaches kid (Tayt) played a lot of varsity basketball as a 7th grader because he could shoot. They have another player that played a lot as a 8th grader because he could shoot and handle the ball. Those two are both starters this season and they have a third starting guard that is the other player, than Tayt, that made 9- 3's.

Trevor got some shots but I would say that Sioux Valley has 2 players that shoot over half of their shots. Trevor might be 3rd on the team (a guess) but that isn't a ton of shots for a 6'7" post that some people think is DI material. I don't know if both players that made 9 3-pointers will play DII basketball but they are talented players. Sioux Valley was rated #1 in state so what they were doing must have worked until they lost to Dakota Valley in the round of 16.
          Trevor's name got out last summer when he was playing AAU ball so we'll see what happens this summer.
          I don't coach SDSU or SV so I don't know if I am completely correct but this is my take.
          You apparently are a good SV fan, and you are probably correct on many points. Trevor did not have a killer season, and what does in AAU this summer will matter a great deal. I was looking on the Wright State web and from what I saw, I doubt Nagy or any of his staff will be making trips to Volga. Nagy seems to have found some good recruits. For that reason I delete an earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post

I watched Sioux Valley play a couple times this year, IMO Hanson definitely has the physical talent to play DI.

Vincent and Olson both averaged over 21 points per game for Sioux Valley, both made all state and both shot and made a ton of 3's. It was not uncommon to see 2 or more 3 point attempts prior to Hanson even touching the ball on the offensive end. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but their style certainly limited his ability to score. He was a rebounding machine in the games I watched. I thought he did a nice job of finishing when he got offensive boards. It would be extremely interesting to know what percentage of his points came off offensive rebounds.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

From what I've heard of Sioux Valley's game, and I've never seen a Sioux Valley game, so take this with a grain of salt, is that they don't run much of an inside game, period.

That could be why Hanson's numbers aren't as good as the should/could be for his size? 91jacks post seems to back that up though.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Tayt's mom is my cousin, you'd think I would know a little more about this situation but we hardly ever see them, in fact I've never seen one of his games in person. If I get a chance to talk to Tayt's dad Bill I'm certainly going to ask his opinion. I think Augie is a great fit for Tayt. I don't know enough to have an opinion on Hanson other that to say I trust the Jackrabbit coaches to make decisions that are best for the program.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Tayt's mom is my cousin, you'd think I would know a little more about this situation but we hardly ever see them, in fact I've never seen one of his games in person. If I get a chance to talk to Tayt's dad Bill I'm certainly going to ask his opinion. I think Augie is a great fit for Tayt. I don't know enough to have an opinion on Hanson other that to say I trust the Jackrabbit coaches to make decisions that are best for the program.
                  This is a mystery that's for certain. I thought Nagy was taking a big chance when he signed those two from Madison and both turned out to be D1 players. Apparently they thought they had a similar situation with Hansen. Who knows, Hanson may have a great AAU season and a regular season, and he might have more offers other than SDSU. I get the feeling that the coaching staff did not see progress and maybe Trevor is not that wild about being a Jack. This why I dont have much faith in early signings.

Comment

Does Hanson have much of a jump shot or perimeter game? Could he be a similar player to Dykman and Doyle?

6'7"ish post players who didn't have the perimeter game that the Jacks play?

Never watched him play so just guessing. Maybe he's just not a fit anymore with the new coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Does Hanson have much of a jump shot or perimeter game? Could he be a similar player to Dykman and Doyle?

6'7"ish post players who didn't have the perimeter game that the Jacks play?

Never watched him play so just guessing. Maybe he's just not a fit anymore with the new coaching staff.
                      Only seen a couple games, but he is a decent shooter for his size, probably attempted 5-ish 3's in the games I watched. His release is pretty slow, which may or may not be fixable. He is a very good free throw shooter. He game is very different from Doyle's, IMO. Can't speak for Dykman.

Like MD said, no reason not to trust the coaches if they're the ones who initiated the parting of ways. Its their team and they can run it how they like. My biggest beef is that I really want to lock down SD talent, and Hanson seems to be one of the best our state has to offer (to my untrained eye). Would hate to see USD/NDSU/UND snatch him up and have a successful career there. The Milwaukee recruiting area will dry up quick if/when TJ moves on, SDSU will always be in Brookings, South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                        Per @PrepHoopsDakota The recruitment of 2018 Sioux Valley C Trevor Hanson has been reopened. He is no longer committed to South Dakota State
                        As of today, I'm hearing Hanson is "still a Jackrabbit", and has been in contact with the coaching staff about said tweet.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Re: Tayt - SDSU was going after him at one time, then he tore his ACL twice. That's changed his game a little.

Re: Hanson - Kid hasn't had to be the main offensive force for the Cossacks. Cossacks had multiple 3-point shooters that could hit at high rates and blow games open fast. Was a third/fourth option on offense and stellar on defense.
                          Sioux Valley went to the KU team camp last summer and finished second in the small school division at 8-1 I believe and lost in overtime to a team that had commits to K-State and KU in the championship game. He had a pretty solid showing there averaging 20+pts - 10+rebs a game there.
                          Trev's done pretty solid work on the AAU scene. Can stroke the three when needed, has a nice inside game and quick step to the basket with the ball. He really developed between last spring and this spring and got more aggressive. He's on a solid Schoolers team that has been winning games by 15+.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            As of today, I'm hearing Hanson is "still a Jackrabbit", and has been in contact with the coaching staff about said tweet.
                            This is good news provided it has substance. I have not made a trip to Dogpatch to watch Trevor either. ( Dogpatch is an old rival name for Volga after some Volga fans labeled Arlington "Peckerville" since their Cardinal looked like Woody Wood Pecker. And this goes back to the days of a Volga-Arlington rivalry which has disappeared due to differences in enrollment). None the less, I hoping for Trevor to be one of the greats at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              This is good news provided it has substance. I have not made a trip to Dogpatch to watch Trevor either. ( Dogpatch is an old rival name for Volga after some Volga fans labeled Arlington "Peckerville" since their Cardinal looked like Woody Wood Pecker. And this goes back to the days of a Volga-Arlington rivalry which has disappeared due to differences in enrollment). None the less, I hoping for Trevor to be one of the greats at SDSU.
                              I have been wondering for at least 45 years where the Peckerville name came from. This is the first time I have seen or heard this version. This is some fine thread drift.
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

This also is the first I've heard the origin of the nickname Peckerville linked to a mascot or logo. Other rival schools and towns have had saltier explanations.

Regardless, I hope Hanson remains a Jack and becomes a star.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X