Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: 2018 recruits

Default Re: 2018 recruits

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I don't disagree with above posts, but we could be so much more competitive with Power 5's with another experienced big from the Juco or Grad transfer ranks. I would think it would be a relatively easy sell playing along side Daum and strong possibility of playing in the tournament.
    There seemed to be more competition for grad transfers this year. I follow a couple of national college writers on Twitter that list the offers that grad transfers had when they committed. It was amazing to see the interest from P5 programs on players that I had never heard of, that put up very average numbers at lower level competition. Not sure if this was because of the larger than normal number of players that left early for the draft this year, or will be a trend. And it seemed like a high % were guards/wing players as opposed to bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    We've got a couple red shirts that certainly could provide more than Theisen did this year.
    Zing.

I don't disagree with above posts, but we could be so much more competitive with Power 5's with another experienced big from the Juco or Grad transfer ranks. I would think it would be a relatively easy sell playing along side Daum and strong possibility of playing in the tournament.
    You may be entirely right, but it seems to me if we try to match up position for position we would lose the skill level battle most every time just based on who we are able to recruit. I would think having a different scheme and being better at it would be the way to go....but then again, that's probably why I'm not a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    Zing.
    Ha! I'm not saying that Ian was bad. He played his role adequately. Just pointing out we've got some red shirts that nobody on this board has seen play. Unknown commodity to us but not to the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Ha! I'm not saying that Ian was bad. He played his role adequately. Just pointing out we've got some red shirts that nobody on this board has seen play. Unknown commodity to us but not to the coaching staff.
    There are loads of players that look like studs warming up that turn out to be duds when they actually get into a game. That being said, Alou Dillon really looked good in Sioux Falls.

Tell me about it. I thought I was a modern day Larry Bird, when in actuality I looked like...

https://youtu.be/IV84ha3uEGg
    Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    There are loads of players that look like studs warming up that turn out to be duds when they actually get into a game. That being said, Alou Dillon really looked good in Sioux Falls.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Everyone wants a JUCO big or transfer big. They don’t go to mid majors.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Be a shame if we don't add another big to the talent we have have coming back.
    I fully admit I could be reading into this way too much, but the coaching staff not aggressively pursuing a juco/grad transfer option at the 4/5 spot this off-season might suggest that Dillon and Dentlinger are farther along than the typical fan may be aware of. If the coaches thought we'd have a hole in the lineup of a team that's built for a post season run, they'd likely have a lot of known offers, even to some players that might be considered a little bit of a reach. I have yet to see any transfer post players claim they held a workout/offer from the Jackrabbits on social media.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I fully admit I could be reading into this way too much, but the coaching staff not aggressively pursuing a juco/grad transfer option at the 4/5 spot this off-season might suggest that Dillon and Dentlinger are farther along than the typical fan may be aware of. If the coaches thought we'd have a hole in the lineup of a team that's built for a post season run, they'd likely have a lot of known offers, even to some players that might be considered a little bit of a reach. I have yet to see any transfer post players claim they held a workout/offer from the Jackrabbits on social media.
    Coaches can keep interest in a player pretty quiet if they want. A year ago Otz made a number of Sunday drives to Wichita during the season to watch David Jenkins,Jr. If I remember correctly, no one knew anything about DJJ until his signing was announced. I would guess the coaching staff has made some inquiries this off-season that we didn't hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Coaches can keep interest in a player pretty quiet if they want. A year ago Otz made a number of Sunday drives to Wichita during the season to watch David Jenkins,Jr. If I remember correctly, no one knew anything about DJJ until his signing was announced. I would guess the coaching staff has made some inquiries this off-season that we didn't hear about.
    While it was true that it was quiet on the David Jenkins Jr. front until his verbal, it was known he had an offer from the Jacks quite a while back.

But I do agree, the coaches can keep it on the down low if they feel the need.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright