2016-2017 " too early " bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 " too early " bracketology

Still good basketball left this season,the WNIT has some pretty good teams in it

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      If losing big to Louisville hurt us, UNI losing 88-39 to Iowa, who didn't even make the tournament, should have killed them
      Yep, its based on the reputation of the conference. Summit is gaining more and more with a big step forward this year. Would be very helpful if WIU can win a game or 2 and if a couple teams can make a deep WNIT run. I know it's not suppose to matter but previous years count. That said, I don't know the history of the MVC in women's NCAA tourney so I could be blowing smoke.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Yep, its based on the reputation of the conference. Summit is gaining more and more with a big step forward this year. Would be very helpful if WIU can win a game or 2 and if a couple teams can make a deep WNIT run. I know it's not suppose to matter but previous years count. That said, I don't know the history of the MVC in women's NCAA tourney so I could be blowing smoke.
        SDSU was basically two plays away from getting an at-large this season. They lost on a last second 3 to UNO and lost in overtime to IUPUI in the semi-final game. They win those two games and we are in with an at-large.

The Summit League has made tremendous strides, and is knocking on the door as a two-bid league. Teams like WIU, IUPUI, SDSU, USD have stepped up and are Top 100 programs; and you have others like UNO and ORU that are around the 150 level.

However, when you have three teams in IPFW, NDSU, and DU with 300+ RPI's, that is a huge, huge drag on the rest of the teams in the league. Forcing SDSU and the others in the league to play 6 games against 300+ RPI teams, really drags down our SOS, and having a bad night and losing to any of them during the season is a big red flag come tourney at-large selection time.

Those three programs moving up to the ~200 level would really help get the Summit League to the high mid-major category, and would go a long ways to getting the league a second bid.

Comment

A testament to truly how terrible NDSU, DU, and IPFW were this season.

The three teams combined to go 14-71 against DI competition the year, which is pretty horrible.

However, when you consider there were 6 games involving the three teams playing against each other, they were actually 8-65 against all other DI competition.

Maybe we could petition to drop them and add Augustana, Northern, and Sioux Falls in their place. I'd bet they'd win at least twice as many games!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
            SDSU was basically two plays away from getting an at-large this season. They lost on a last second 3 to UNO and lost in overtime to IUPUI in the semi-final game. They win those two games and we are in with an at-large.

The Summit League has made tremendous strides, and is knocking on the door as a two-bid league. Teams like WIU, IUPUI, SDSU, USD have stepped up and are Top 100 programs; and you have others like UNO and ORU that are around the 150 level.

However, when you have three teams in IPFW, NDSU, and DU with 300+ RPI's, that is a huge, huge drag on the rest of the teams in the league. Forcing SDSU and the others in the league to play 6 games against 300+ RPI teams, really drags down our SOS, and having a bad night and losing to any of them during the season is a big red flag come tourney at-large selection time.

Those three programs moving up to the ~200 level would really help get the Summit League to the high mid-major category, and would go a long ways to getting the league a second bid.
            I object to your first statement, that's purely speculation. I agree with the rest.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              The MVC media guide to the rescue..... Pg 179 http://www.mvc-sports.com/wbasketbal.../#.WMgmNG_yuUk

The MVC has had one NCAA win in the last 14 years (2013, Creighton). They have only had two multi-win years (2001, 2002) in the last 23.Missouri State did make a "deep run" (four wins), but that was 16 years ago. The highest MVC seed since 2002 has been a 10 - most years they are 13-16. Prior to this year they were a one-bid league 13 out of the last 14 years.

The Summit can definitely get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                The MVC media guide to the rescue..... Pg 179 http://www.mvc-sports.com/wbasketbal.../#.WMgmNG_yuUk

The MVC has had one NCAA win in the last 14 years (2013, Creighton). They have only had two multi-win years (2001, 2002) in the last 23.Missouri State did make a "deep run" (four wins), but that was 16 years ago. The highest MVC seed since 2002 has been a 10 - most years they are 13-16. Prior to this year they were a one-bid league 13 out of the last 14 years.

The Summit can definitely get there.
                In WBB, the Summit is already a significantly better league than the Valley is--especially at the top of the league--according to pretty much any standard you care to look at . . . RPI, Sagarin . . .

Any standard but the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee, that is.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I talked with the head of the women's selection committee this year and this is what she had to say as to why Northern Iowa is in over SDSU.

http://sportsloungeblog.tumblr.com/p...h-dakota-state
                  Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                  Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by The Sports Block View Post
                    I talked with the head of the women's selection committee this year and this is what she had to say as to why Northern Iowa is in over SDSU.

http://sportsloungeblog.tumblr.com/p...h-dakota-state
                    Her explanation is BS. Let's see, UNI beat two teams (K-state & Creighton) in the top 25 of the RPI and SDSU only beat one (Creighton) so they deserve the bid. Let's ignore the rest of the facts. You know like the one where we beat them at their place.

Comment

SDSU finishing the season 6-4 and 3-3 and not reaching the conference title game didn't help.
                      Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by The Sports Block View Post
                        SDSU finishing the season 6-4 and 3-3 and not reaching the conference title game didn't help.
                        Maybe their finish had something to do with the Summit League being better than the MVC. We got f......screwed

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          Maybe their finish had something to do with the Summit League being better than the MVC. We got f......screwed
                          Now after reading that its more irritating. We win one more game or make the finals and we maybe get a 10 seed instead of uni. Another example of whose hot and not who had the better year.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm not sure reaching the conference title game or not losing one conference game would have been enough. The top 25 wins really was the difference and the end of the season. UNI didn't beat anybody in conference, because the conference wasn't any good. However, their last two losses were against Drake, one in OT in the conference title game.

Comment

The fact that we were so close to a 10 seed gets me as much as anything. This is very different than feeling like you just missed out on a 14 seed and the sure beatdown that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                The fact that we were so close to a 10 seed gets me as much as anything. This is very different than feeling like you just missed out on a 14 seed and the sure beatdown that comes with it.
                                Agreed. We certainly could have done more but to say UNI was more qualified considering we beat them head to head and all of the other metrics are in our favor except t-25 RPI wins is BS. It's awesome we are this close but I'm not buying her explanation.

Comment

Working...
                                X