Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TJ

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Time for the whizard of Otz to perform his wizardry.
    He Otz to get going on finding another guard.

Comment

Saw a tweet below from Jeff Borzello

Utah State grad transfer Lew Evans has heard from Kansas State, Boston College, Grand Canyon, South Dakota State, San Fran, Montana, others

Some data on Lew
      http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sport...ns_906852.html

Sorry if I tossed it in the wrong thread

Comment

Originally posted by Borderboy View Post
        Saw a tweet below from Jeff Borzello

Utah State grad transfer Lew Evans has heard from Kansas State, Boston College, Grand Canyon, South Dakota State, San Fran, Montana, others

Some data on Lew
        http://www.utahstateaggies.com/sport...ns_906852.html

Sorry if I tossed it in the wrong thread
        Tough to say what is going on without knowing the guy, but....
        2010-2011 Season: Senior Year High School
        2011-2012 Season: Prep School
        2012-2013 Season: Freshman Junior College
        2013-2014 Season: Sophomore at Tulsa
        2014-2015 Season: Redshirt at Utah State after transfering from Tulsa
        2015-2016 Season: Junior at Utah State
        2016-2017 Season: Senior at ________

That is a lot of bouncing around, which raises a red flag to me. However, I would assume that he is set to graduate and is going to take advantage of the Graduate Transfer Rule, which would allow him to play this year. So that raises a green flag on being a good student.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
          Tough to say what is going on without knowing the guy, but....
          2010-2011 Season: Senior Year High School
          2011-2012 Season: Prep School
          2012-2013 Season: Freshman Junior College
          2013-2014 Season: Sophomore at Tulsa
          2014-2015 Season: Redshirt at Utah State after transfering from Tulsa
          2015-2016 Season: Junior at Utah State
          2016-2017 Season: Senior at ________

That is a lot of bouncing around, which raises a red flag to me. However, I would assume that he is set to graduate and is going to take advantage of the Graduate Transfer Rule, which would allow him to play this year. So that raises a green flag on being a good student.
          It is, but at the same time its a senior grad transfer who can pound around inside and get rebounds, not like its a 2-3 year commitment, not sure on the scholarship situation but could also be a play to level out the classes.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            It is, but at the same time its a senior grad transfer who can pound around inside and get rebounds, not like its a 2-3 year commitment, not sure on the scholarship situation but could also be a play to level out the classes.
            I would rather take a flyer on a grad transfer who only uses a scholarship for a year and might be able to contribute right away, than commit 4 years to a questionable HS senior just to get bodies on the roster. That gives TJ the ability to be more selective and re-use the scholarship a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              I would rather take a flyer on a grad transfer who only uses a scholarship for a year and might be able to contribute right away, than commit 4 years to a questionable HS senior just to get bodies on the roster. That gives TJ the ability to be more selective and re-use the scholarship a year from now.
              Scholarships are only a one year deal, with option to be renewed. Interesting to see if TJ would ever pull a scholarship on a non-contributor, if there ever was one.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                Scholarships are only a one year deal, with option to be renewed. Interesting to see if TJ would ever pull a scholarship on a non-contributor, if there ever was one.
                True and not-true.

One of the big things running through Power 5 conferences now is 4-year guaranteed scholarships. For example the Big 10 now allows for athletic scholarships to be 4-year commitments. Not saying the Summit or SDSU has that policy but it is becoming the norm.

Additionally most coaches including Otz promise they'll never pull a scholarship as long as the student-athlete is academically eligible and stays out of trouble. So the "standard" becomes a 4-year commitment.

Now there are subtle ways around that "standard" ... particularly for kids who simply want to play basketball. More often than not they leave on their own or with some encouragement/assistance.

Comment

Per @hoopz_wisconsin:

TJ Otzelberger 5 offers to WI kids at SDSU:

Luke Loewe ('17)
                  Kevion Taylor ('17)
                  Ryan Krueger ('17)
                  Mitch Listau ('18)
                  Alou Dillon ('17)

And also:

TJ Otzelberger wasting no time making his impact in the Wisconsin recruiting scene. He will be a major player in the state
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Anybody wondering about how much Iowa State valued T.J., here is yet another article about him. It seems like that fan base adored him. The reporter is also pretty adamant that he is more than just a recruiter.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...rohm/83048180/
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      Per @hoopz_wisconsin:

TJ Otzelberger 5 offers to WI kids at SDSU:

Luke Loewe ('17)
                      Kevion Taylor ('17)
                      Ryan Krueger ('17)
                      Mitch Listau ('18)
                      Alou Dillon ('17)

And also:

TJ Otzelberger wasting no time making his impact in the Wisconsin recruiting scene. He will be a major player in the state
                      Adding Henderson, who I believe recruited Wisconsin for NDSU, won't hurt either.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...sdsu/83542764/
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Coach Otz just finished his 2nd consecutive day of buying coffee for students and faculty from 8:00-9:00. By looking at twitter, it appears to have been a huge hit. I have a hunch we'll see a more engaged and dedicated student section in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Coach Otz just finished his 2nd consecutive day of buying coffee for students and faculty from 8:00-9:00. By looking at twitter, it appears to have been a huge hit. I have a hunch we'll see a more engaged and dedicated student section in the future.

Talked to a student who went through yesterday.. said it was excellent and TJ was super energized!

Comment

Great to hear, I look forward to a future Sioux Empire States or other event where I might get a chance to meet the man. I think we have a good one here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Did anyone hear the specifics of his contract? I do not remember hearing a $$ amount or number of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X