TJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ

ESPN says we have a name for the new coach. Congrats and Lets all hope he rewrites the record books .

S. Dakota State hires new coach

4:03 PM ET
    • Jeff GoodmanESPN Insider

1. printSouth Dakota State will hire Iowa State assistant T.J. Otzelberger, multiple sources told ESPN.

Otzelberger, 38, was an assistant with the Cyclones from 2006-2013 and again for the past two seasons. He was a finalist a year ago before Iowa State opted to hire Steve Prohm to replace Fred Hoiberg.
    Otzelberger will replace Scott Nagy -- who left earlier this month for the Wright State job. The Jackrabbits were 26-8 last season, 12-4 in the Summit League and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Maryland. They will return leading scorer and first-team all-league player Mike Daum, but lose their starting backcourt of George Marshall and Deondre Parks.

Re: TJ

He's apparently good buddies with Virginia coach Tony Bennett.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Article on TJ. Interesting note...the other finalist for the job was Vince Taylor from Texas Tech. I also love Telly's quote about Denver's offense 😃.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...oach/83031524/
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Another article on TJ getting the job.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball...ifelong-dream/

Comment

Klink on the new staff and Moffitt with the team were two nice bonuses today. I know it is the classic coaching transition hype time, but it's hard not to feel good about this hire after more has come to light in the past couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm hearing plenty about offense. But I guess I'm Nagy trained, cus it's defense I'm concerned about.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Klink on the new staff and Moffitt with the team were two nice bonuses today. I know it is the classic coaching transition hype time, but it's hard not to feel good about this hire after more has come to light in the past couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Would be huge if Moffitt could get another year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                Klink was quoted as saying he's pretty optimistic about it happening. Hopefully hear something soon.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

For those wondering on what style of play to expect, Otzelberger said this in one of the articles:

“We will definitely get up and down the floor,” Otzelberger said. “Fans will see a style of play that is exciting the way. They will see players that are skilled, can pass and shoot and make plays in transition. Hopefully you will see a group of guys who will play with unbelievable passion and heart. Defensively I think we will be a team that switches defenses a lot to keep our opponent off balance. Off the court we will be focused on development by bringing in four-year guys when possible and get those guys better by spending time with them and investing in them.”

I like the sound of the up-tempo and and free flowing offense just because I believe it is a more entertaining brand of basketball. Hopefully he will stress defense and rebounding the way that Nagy did. Those are both about playing hard and heart, so if he can get his players to do that the way he described, those aspects of the game should fall in place.
                  "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    I can't stress this enough. It would help ease the transition of the loss of Marshall, Parks, and Bittle the way Klink will help ease the transition with the coaches. That added guard depth puts us right back near if not at the top of the Summit again this coming season. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a scholarship. Great player and person. With how hard he works, he is more than deserving.
                    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

When Craig Smith got hired all of Joey James' seniors (Gruis, etc) were at the press conference. My guess is he was there as a spectator

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
                        When Craig Smith got hired all of Joey James' seniors (Gruis, etc) were at the press conference. My guess is he was there as a spectator
                        If this were the case then the other seniors would have been there as well. They probably wouldn't have put them right at the front of the press conference either. That just wouldn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FeaRed View Post
                          It is not official yet so there is a chance that he will not be able to come back. However, Coach Klink is optimistic that he will get an opportunity to play again. Social media would indicate that Keaton and the team are both confident that he will be able to play again next year. IMO he was there because he is still hoping to play another year and will go through the offseason motions as if he is on the team for another year. For example, attend the announcement of the new coach. There is a little more to the attendance of Keaton Moffit than just "spectator."

Comment

TJ should be thankful that he didn't get the job at UW-Milwaukee. Here is the social media farewell from their MBB play-by-play man:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEM7tV0wRtP/

To quote Groucho Marx "Hello, I must be going!" Before the decision is made for me, I am officially announcing my retirement as the voice of Milwaukee Panthers Men's basketball.
                            I would say it's taking the last life boat off the Titanic, but that would be unfair to the crew of the Titanic.
                            Never have so many competant, talented people been run off by such a talentless group of entitled beaurocrats. No matter how much the coaches, players, and support staff care, they can't overcome incompetent administrators.
                            UWM leads the world in incompetent administrators.
                            I criticize awful athletic directors like Koonce, Costello, Geiger, and Braun. It's not their fault. Hell, if they elected me President I'ld take the job. If I suck at it, it's not my fault. I'm not qualified to be President.
                            Should Amanda Braun turn down an AD job just because she's horribly under qualified? Hell no. She's a bad AD, and a deplorable human being, but those are the cards she's been dealt.
                            Those in charge of the UW System have failed to hire effective administrators. Failed. F F F F!
                            It has been my pleasure to work with the wonderful players and coaches for 17 seasons. The players, coaches, parents and the fans have been like my family.
                            I will miss Panther hoops the rest of my life.
                            Best of luck to my friends that are still imprisoned at UWM Athletics. Fight on, brothers (and sisters.) Keep your heads low and make us proud.
                            Finally, best of luck to LaVall Jordan, his staff, and the players. As so often happens in the NCAA, it's not your fault. Win and get out quick, because long term is fatal at UWM Athletics.
                            Panther Nation, it has been my pleasure.Cheers!

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              TJ should be thankful that he didn't get the job at UW-Milwaukee. Here is the social media farewell from their MBB play-by-play man:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEM7tV0wRtP/
                              Well, hopefully he is near retirement age and won't need another job should he lose his main one. I am sure that most if not all of it is true in some form or another but that could be hard to explain in an interview setting. Go out with the same class that you wish the administration would have used.

Comment

Working...
                              X