• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice to USD

Memo to USD Athletics Administration
    Re: Williams Replacement
    Date: April 11, 2016

Do not consider for one second offering the job to the head women's coach of the University of Okoboji. Look what happened with U of O's last two head women's coaches: NDSU's women's basketball may never recover.

For the uninitiated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Okoboji

Re: Advice to USD

Hard to imagine USD bouncing back from the departure of Williams too quickly. She was a special personality.
    Advantage Jacks!

Comment

If we are talking made up universities I enjoy South Harmon Institute of Technology. Or where Strong Bad went. CGNU. Crazy Go Nuts University....go Whitefish. I think they had only one sport. Smashing things with golf clubs. They were pretty good.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualJacksFan View Post
        Hard to imagine USD bouncing back from the departure of Williams too quickly. She was a special personality.
        Advantage Jacks!
        I will go on record saying they are closer to 15 losses next year than to the 6 they had this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
          I will go on record saying they are closer to 15 losses next year than to the 6 they had this year.

So 11? Thats pretty Bold!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
            I think it's a little early to predict this. What we do know is they will have a new coach / system which will take the players some time to learn. While they did lose a number of seniors, they do return a number of upper classmen who got significant playing time this year so their experience may help ease the transition.

I suspect they will probably be in the 10-11 loss range, but that's an absolute guess until their schedule comes out. I have a feeling they are more reloading than rebuilding, but there certainly will be a drop off from this year.

Comment

U. Okoboji used to have a big rivalry with Wossamotta U., as I recall. This, actually, is the true origin of the legendary Minnesota-Iowa rivalry.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They in a similiar situation to our men, only worse. They lose four starters, and have no one returning even close to as good as Daum. I don't think anyone here expects our men to be as good as last season, but over on the Yote board, many think things will be as good as this season. Maybe they should name their new arena the Center for Delusional Thinking. I started reading their board around Summit tournament time, and it's kind of like driving past a bad accident - you don't want to look, but you just can't help it. It's amazing how deep SDSU has gotten into some minds over there. Every thread somehow leads into an SDSU bash.

Comment

Look out for the University of State Tech this year. Coach Sanders is building a team loaded with wings. Weak on guards though.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    U. Okoboji used to have a big rivalry with Wossamotta U., as I recall. This, actually, is the true origin of the legendary Minnesota-Iowa rivalry.
                    I'm familiar with the U of Okoboji, but Wossamotta U threw me. I've learned that it's the ala mater of a moose of a guy and his squirrelly team mate who helped beat the Mud City Manglers. Not sure of the reference to the past coaches and NDSU. Be wary of fiends from Pottsylvania?
                    This space for lease.

Comment

[QUOTE=bigticket1;295734]They in a similiar situation to our men, only worse. They lose four starters...../QUOTE]

Including one of the best players in conference history. You can't shrug that off like Seekamp was just another solid senior, everything they did really well revolved around her. I remember how they did in those two games at the start of the season without her, and that was with their cast of other valuable seniors. I still think they will be top-3 material (if a couple upperclassmen don't transfer), but it's reasonable to expect their season to be a work in progress.

Comment

[QUOTE=Southeast;295747]
                        Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        They in a similiar situation to our men, only worse. They lose four starters...../QUOTE]

Including one of the best players in conference history. You can't shrug that off like Seekamp was just another solid senior, everything they did really well revolved around her. I remember how they did in those two games at the start of the season without her, and that was with their cast of other valuable seniors. I still think they will be top-3 material (if a couple upperclassmen don't transfer), but it's reasonable to expect their season to be a work in progress.
                        I agree Seekamp is a big loss for them. Not only her scoring, but her assist making ability.

And when the game was close... think of the Conference tournament final this year, the year before...heck think of the game at Frost. The ball was in her hands.

As this is a smack thread, I think they should take the advice of a few fans on the Coyote board, and sign Seekamp as their head coach.

Comment

My condolences go out to the local sports media, who will no longer have Coach Williams to slobber over. Her departure is a big loss for them. They're already over Coach Nagy, who didn't generate as much passion. ADs might want to consider the media gush factor in hiring replacements.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            I'm familiar with the U of Okoboji, but Wossamotta U threw me. I've learned that it's the ala mater of a moose of a guy and his squirrelly team mate who helped beat the Mud City Manglers. Not sure of the reference to the past coaches and NDSU. Be wary of fiends from Pottsylvania?
                            The current NDSU women's coach and her immediate predecessor, were believed to have been hired away from the U of Okoboji Fighting Phantoms. Where else could they have gotten those two?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              ... I started reading their [goyotes.net] board around Summit tournament time, and it's kind of like driving past a bad accident - you don't want to look, but you just can't help it. It's amazing how deep SDSU has gotten into some minds over there. Every thread somehow leads into an SDSU bash.
                              Pretty good analogy to a car accident. One thing to keep in mind when visiting the board of the technical school in Vermillion: the overwhelming majority of their posters are reasonable, decent posters. So one has to be careful about throwing all posters into the same burlap bag with the few nutty ones who, as bigticket wrote, seem to strike out at SDSU frequently. I now refrain from even driving by that board to see what's new down there-- there are a few posters (maybe five or six) who seem hell-bent on making a written record of their deep-seated personal problems. I think they depress the participation on that board. It's just not worth the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X