• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/i...cott-nagy.html

Nagy article

Comment

Thanks for posting the link. Nagy's a good guy and hope he has a lot of success at Wright State.

Comment

Just wanted to swing back in and revisit this thread and tell you all how thrilled I am to see Coach Otz and the Jackrabbits flourishing like I felt and hoped they could. Props on a great season so far and since my Cyclones are not NCAA tournament bound (barring a miraculous run in KC this week), I will be adopting the Jacks, Loyola (IL) and Nevada Wolfpack as my teams to cheer hard for this spring. Loyola and Nevada both have former Cyclones on their roster and the Jacks have a great young coach that I think is destined for great success. Best of luck!

Comment

Coach Nagy is doing his thing down in the Dominican Republic, and took a fantastic picture.

The only thing that would have made it better is if the shirt said "2017 Summit League Tournament Champions" on it.

Gotta love Coach Nagy.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Haiti to the D.R. Movin' upscale.

Comment

I do miss Coach Nagy and recall in the 1980's after a football game, a gathering at the now gone Tompkins Alumni Center, Coach Jim Thorson bringing his newly hired assistant Scott Nagy. A very quiet young man, neatly groomed, but very interested in all the conversations going on around him. I found this dated article from the Dayton Daily News which gives a great deal of background information about his past. Details he never spoke of mainly, his brilliant career at Delta State.
              https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...nkzgbOkHiAAsM/

Having lived in the Dayton area for a few years in the 1970's, the Ohio River separates accents spoken. North in Dayton, most speak hardly noticeable Midwest accent. South of the river, you are in Kentucky and they speak what some referred to Briar accent. Very different, as I am sure Coach has found out in recruiting trips.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 07-23-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Coach Nagy got his 500th career win this weekend. A good coach and person...glad we had him for 21 years.

Comment

• That's great, part of me still wishes he was here getting that number as Jackrabbit. He did a lot for SDSU and left it in a great place. I know his style isn't everyone's cup of tea but it still seems weird he isn't out there yelling at refs and disappointed after a win because we could have played better etc.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post
                    That's great, part of me still wishes he was here getting that number as Jackrabbit. He did a lot for SDSU and left it in a great place. I know his style isn't everyone's cup of tea but it still seems weird he isn't out there yelling at refs and disappointed after a win because we could have played better etc.
                    I have a feeling Hendo will be very Nagy-like. He's built for this kind of a program where the players he's recruiting are not thinking NBA, where he can develop a real connection and truly form a team!

Comment

• Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

I have a feeling Hendo will be very Nagy-like. He's built for this kind of a program where the players he's recruiting are not thinking NBA, where he can develop a real connection and truly form a team!
                      Perhaps, but Hendo seems to be a personality of his own. Nagy never seem to be comfortable with the media. He seemed to be on the introverted side personality-wise. Hendo comes acros being more friendly to the public. I think Hendo has the same amount of basketball skills as Nagy.. Hendo being younger got the benefit of Greg McDermott training and coaching. To think McDermott was the second choice when Nagy was rehired after Soderberg left.. McDermott has come a long ways since being a assistant to Rich Glas at UND. We have been blessed with very good coaches.

Comment

• Personality wise, you don't get much different from Hendo to Nagy.

And I love Coach Nagy, but he was kind of guarded, not a bad thing...just his way of being.

Coach Hendo is just as friendly as you can imagine. I remember meeting him after Coach Otz was hired (that summer), and I was like... "Man! What a nice guy!"
                        -and he does not come across as a 'fakey politician type' while doing this.

We've been incredibly fortunate to have these guys in charge. (as well as Coach Otz. who if you got to spend some time with, I really enjoyed)

Comment

• Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          Personality wise, you don't get much different from Hendo to Nagy.

And I love Coach Nagy, but he was kind of guarded, not a bad thing...just his way of being.

Coach Hendo is just as friendly as you can imagine. I remember meeting him after Coach Otz was hired (that summer), and I was like... "Man! What a nice guy!"
                          -and he does not come across as a 'fakey politician type' while doing this.

We've been incredibly fortunate to have these guys in charge. (as well as Coach Otz. who if you got to spend some time with, I really enjoyed)
                          I get the connection bewtween developing players and a team for sure like Nagy did. Their style of play to me looks very similar. the inside out, good spot up shooting and tough defense. Aside from Wolters who to drive and create his own shot or going to the rim, Hendos style to me seems similar. As far as Hendo goes I don't think I have seen him yell during a game, what I think he is going to do great with is he really comes from an educators mindset, to learn, get better. Not the type that demands perfection. Instead of getting upset with refs which he might internally, he focuses on improving his players and basically their belief in themselves which is stark contrast to Nagy.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

I get the connection bewtween developing players and a team for sure like Nagy did. Their style of play to me looks very similar. the inside out, good spot up shooting and tough defense. Aside from Wolters who to drive and create his own shot or going to the rim, Hendos style to me seems similar. As far as Hendo goes I don't think I have seen him yell during a game, what I think he is going to do great with is he really comes from an educators mindset, to learn, get better. Not the type that demands perfection. Instead of getting upset with refs which he might internally, he focuses on improving his players and basically their belief in themselves which is stark contrast to Nagy.
                            He certainly yells at the ref. He also has this stare on Sunday that definitely caught the attention of the officials.

Comment

• On TV its not that noticeable. Other coaches you can see getting worked up talking to refs, it doesn't show on midco. When a bad call happens he doesn't look to worked up. the stare, yes that can work. My wife has a good one of those also.

Comment

Working...
                              X