Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Agreed. BUT...replacing an entire coaching staff along with 7 or more players is cause for some anxiety. Now where'd I set my drink...
    I would be really surprised if 7 players decide to leave. You might have one or two. I don't think it as much doom and gloom as some are making it out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
      I would be really surprised if 7 players decide to leave. You might have one or two. I don't think it as much doom and gloom as some are making it out to be.
      5 seniors + devine + doyle = 7

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        5 seniors + devine + doyle = 7
        I guess I just assumed he meant 7 that were on the roster yet and were leaving because Nagy is gone. Devine and doyle were known about before Nagy decided to leave. We were losing the seniors anyway. If they all had Seekamp for a last name Im sure they all get an extra year. JK

Comment

In 1995, SDSU took a chance on hiring a 29 year old guy who had no head coaching experience. Twenty-one years later, the guy decides to leave. And, will probably take some of his assistants with him. The others will most likely have to find new homes. It's a new day. SDSU has been considered a "basketball school" since the days of Sunny Jim Schmidt (the father of South Dakota's First Lady, Linda) after WWII. There will be a lot of interest in the vacancy.

A final thought about Coach Nagy. His greatest achievement was guiding the basketball program through the ugly transition period from DII to DI. It's really remarkable that he survived and kept a steady hand even in the darkest days. He has earned a unique place in SDSU's athletic history.

Comment

My thoughts on the list so far (as if my thoughts matter).

Rob Klinkefus - Solid recruiter from what I understand. Does not have coaching pedigree, I feel pretty meh about Klink as a head coach although I LOVE him as an assistant.

Ryan Miller - Nice name, but does not have head coaching experience. Would he view SDSU as a stepping stone?

Matt Margenthaler - Not really that exciting.

Tom Billeter - My favorite on the list.

Austin Hansen - Not interested. What are his selling points? Played DII, bounced around DI, and recruited Nate Wolters?

Chad Walthall - Do not know much about him, other than he has done very well at his current job all things considered.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              My thoughts on the list so far (as if my thoughts matter).

Rob Klinkefus - Solid recruiter from what I understand. Does not have coaching pedigree, I feel pretty meh about Klink as a head coach although I LOVE him as an assistant.

Ryan Miller - Nice name, but does not have head coaching experience. Would he view SDSU as a stepping stone?

Matt Margenthaler - Not really that exciting.

Tom Billeter - My favorite on the list.

Austin Hansen - Not interested. What are his selling points? Played DII, bounced around DI, and recruited Nate Wolters?

Chad Walthall - Do not know much about him, other than he has done very well at his current job all things considered.
              The concern I have with Billeter, or anyone that is around 55, is that you will very likely be going through this again in 5-7 years. And this is coming from someone older than that, not a young pup. To me, coaching is a young man's game, especially at the mid-major level. As coaches get older, their energy level and enthusiasm can change in varying degrees, and unexpectedly. As a Gopher fan, I remember how quickly Tubby Smith seemed to lose his desire to be 100% committed to the job, which in part was due to health problems. On the other hand, hiring a young up-and-comer can mean you need to be doing this again in a few years, if they are a success.

Comment

I don't know either one personally, but I like Ryan Miller and Matt Margenthaler. Miller has valuable experience as an assistant with big programs, he's known as a great recruiter, and he has deep South Dakota roots. Margenthalter was an enthusiastic assistant under Nagy in the D-II era, and he has had a lot of success at Minnesota State. I suspect Billeter will have another job by the the time SDSU gets serious about replacing Nagy. Hansen wasn't able to land a D-II head coaching job. Don't know much about Walthall. Undecided on Klinkefus. Matt Wilber of DWU probably should be on the list, too. I suspect many other names will be coming out in the next few days.
                Last edited by Jacked_Up; 04-04-2016, 09:10 AM.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Ryan Miller is the only name I'm hearing thus far the would be acceptable to me.

I like Matt M. but he just hasn't had enough success in the post season to get me excited about him. He's had the talent year after year and has come up short.

I don't want a DII guy. I want an DI guy. I trust Sell and the front office guys have a short list and that they have made the contacts already.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    At that price do we have a shot at IPFW coach?
                    That is an intriguing idea. I am very impressed with him.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have done a little reading and I like the idea of Miller as a candidate, perhaps Billiter, but other than that I wouldn't put too much stock in other area coaches. There will be a lot of DI assistant coaches who will be interested in getting into the head coaching ranks at a solid mid-major program here in South Dakota.

This is a great opportunity, and the program is poised to take a significant step forward. The next head coach will have the opportunity to coach through the construction of a new practice facility, a renovated Frost Arena and along with those improvements a continued increase in resources and excitement around the program.

This next 5-10 years the men's basketball program is going to take a giant step forward. That is, if Justin Sell picks the right head coach to succeed Nagy. No pressure.
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I also have to admit that I know very little about Klinkefus. I don't mean to discount him, but I don't know what would make him that attractive as a head coaching candidate, except if they wanted to attempt to just keep the current program running.

I would strongly suspect that despite the success of the program, Sell has a vision for his ideal candidate and will go in a different direction.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          ... I trust Sell and the front office guys have a short list and that they have made the contacts already.
                          That's what I'm focusing on. You know that in order for Coach Nagy to have traveled to Wright State and meet with theWright State team as has been reported by ESPN's Goodman, Justin Sell had to have been informed by Coach Nagy that Nagy was looking and wanted to interview at Wright State etc. Sell had to have approved that before it happened. I think it is customary for AD's to grant such permission but the point is, Justin wasn't surprised by anything. So, he's had time to do some thinking and perhaps make contacts. I expect a fast decision in this case. Not sure why I think this but I do not think we'll see an announcement about a national search etc. Justin has been doing that "search" for a couple of years because programs have been interested in Coach Nagy and Coach Nagy has been keeping Justin Sell advised when necessary.

Comment

Zimmer just posted. http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...nagy/82596644/

Comment

A name to keep an eye on is TJ Otzelberger, mentioned in Zimmer's article on possible candidates. He is currently an assistant with the Cyclones. Rumor is that he and Craig Smith were the top 2 candidates for the USD job a couple of years ago.
                              USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                                I also have to admit that I know very little about Klinkefus. I don't mean to discount him, but I don't know what would make him that attractive as a head coaching candidate, except if they wanted to attempt to just keep the current program running.

I would strongly suspect that despite the success of the program, Sell has a vision for his ideal candidate and will go in a different direction.
                                Imagine if Klink doesn't get the job, Nagy has a spot reserved for him on the Wright State staff.

Comment

Working...
                                X