Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    I will have to disagree with you. While I hope he stays on the staff as an assistant, I just don't think he's ready to be a D1 head coach. If we don't want to increase the salary from what Nagy was making, he may be the best option, but I have a feeling Sell is looking for something more and will be increasing the salary.
    Fair enough. Just don't see anything wrong with giving him a chance for a couple years and look elsewhere if need be. If Sell is looking to massively upgrade the outlay for the coach then he kind of spit the bit not offering it to Nagy. Klink would stabilize everything with current players and recruits. Just think it makes sense. However, I do agree the school is in a good position to get a good candidate and will have lots to choose from.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      If Sell is looking to massively upgrade the outlay for the coach then he kind of spit the bit not offering it to Nagy.
      It sounds like he did offer a larger amount, but you have to consider the fact that maybe he didn't think that Nagy was worth as much as Wright State is going to pay him. I tend to agree when you look at the caliber of coaches we could possibly get for that money, and likely less. Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I see this as an opportunity to upgrade. Nothing against Nagy, he was great for SDSU for many years, but you can't tell me that we won't be potentially upgrading with the new coach.

Comment

There is no question that this is correct. In fact, Krabbenhoft moving to Wisconsin could very well be making what Nagy did here. A solid Big10 program is a whole other level.

SUPERBUNNY
        Greg Gard (now Head Coach) who has been Associate Head Coach at Wisconsin since 2001 had a salary of $235,000 for the 2014-2015 (his Assistant Coach Salary). So I find it highly unlikely Krabbenhoft is going to be anywhere near $212,000 his first year at Wisconsin.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/uw-syste...GREGORY%20GLEN

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Greg Gard (now Head Coach) who has been Associate Head Coach at Wisconsin since 2001 had a salary of $235,000 for the 2014-2015 (his Assistant Coach Salary). So I find it highly unlikely Krabbenhoft is going to be anywhere near $212,000 his first year at Wisconsin.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/uw-syste...GREGORY%20GLEN
          Agree to disagree. Very seldom is the replacement paid less than what the previous one in that position was getting. Maybe not right, but that the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            It sounds like he did offer a larger amount, but you have to consider the fact that maybe he didn't think that Nagy was worth as much as Wright State is going to pay him. I tend to agree when you look at the caliber of coaches we could possibly get for that money, and likely less. Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I see this as an opportunity to upgrade. Nothing against Nagy, he was great for SDSU for many years, but you can't tell me that we won't be potentially upgrading with the new coach.
            No question you have to consider that fact! No matter what happens I think SDSU will be fine and I agree that we may upgrade as you say. We won't find anyone of better moral character. A better coach? Surely possible and I mean no disrespect to Coach Nagy when I say that.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
              Agree to disagree. Very seldom is the replacement paid less than what the previous one in that position was getting. Maybe not right, but that the way it is.
              We can probably agree he got a massive pay raise from here. That's all that matters. Joe is a good man and will make a good coach.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                Joe Krabbenhoft is not going to be the Associate Head Coach (which Greg Gard was). Joe will be the 3rd Assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU
                  Lamont Paris was making $151,000.
                  http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...84525543739656

Paris is at $178k now. So, KRabbenhoft probably tripling up plus perks.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

We can probably agree he got a massive pay raise from here. That's all that matters. Joe is a good man and will make a good coach.

SUPERBUNNY
                    Agreed. If I recall correctly, back when Soderberg left, he went from here as hc at about 65000 a year to an assistant coach position at Wisconsin at about 125000

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      That and the fact he is nearly 50 and was looking at 7 players departing made this pretty much the perfect time for him to move on. At some point other schools stop asking, and once he gets the wrong side of 50, he becomes less and less attractive as a rebuild candidate for a program. Obviously, $2.5 million is pretty dang tough to pass up as well, as that is the type of income that can set him and his family up for life.
                      I think it sounded like he wanted to move on for a while at his press conference. He talked about people not wanting a DII coach or a coach that had the record that he had when we were going through transition. He could of probably of left a couple of years ago but he hasn't been as "attractive" of a candidate as he is now for a while.
                      His team would need 2 or 3 players to come in that could help the team next year for them to have a season near the one they had this year. It will be interesting to see who the next coach can bring in that can play right away on such short notice. You would think that Nagy's staff had a few people lined up to come in. They should of known that they won't have many guards for a while now.

Comment

I had heard that Wisconsin offered him north of $200k

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          I think a major consideration will be how excited check writers get with the new coach. Frost Arena renovations have to be on the short term to do list.

It needs to be a name that gets casual fans talking and buying tickets. Miller would do that more than any other name I've seen mentioned, IMO.
                          It's possible those same check writers might have an opinion who the next coach is. Read into that what you will.

Comment

In the 'it's halftime of the Spurs/Warriors game and I have nothing better to do department'....Ryan Miller is now following Reed Tellinghuisen and Skyler Flatten on Twitter.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              In the 'it's halftime of the Spurs/Warriors game and I have nothing better to do department'....Ryan Miller is now following Reed Tellinghuisen and Skyler Flatten on Twitter.
                              But are they following him?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                But are they following him?
                                Reed is...😉
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X