Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Replacing Nagy: Who Ya Got?

Obviously Justin Sell know's PJ well and imagine he is in the mix. Hard to argue with the sustained success that UNI has had in the Valley and the Tournament and PJ played a role in getting those kids to UNI. http://unipanthers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=446&path=mbball

Miller would be my first choice!

Comment

Is it wrong that I hope the hire surprises State fans in a good way maybe by naming a coach nobody saw coming?
      There is nothing wrong with names thrown out there, (SDSU's next coach may be/probably is on the list) but I just feel that this needs to be a slam dunk (was going to say home run, but, you know) hire. I don't think we have to go down to DII or III to grab a coach. Not saying there are not phenomenal coaches at that level, because there are. I just want someone who is going to come in and hit the road running in DI and not have to go through a learning curve. We have a core group of players that should be top three or better of the conference. It would suck to waste it with the wrong hire. I trust Sell. I trust SDSU. I just feel like the timing of this puts us in a rush and hopefully down the line that doesn't force a hire, when if they took a bit more time a better name might have popped up.

That said, what are the terms of hiring a coach at SDSU... does it have to be posted for a certain time, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksin View Post
        that doesn't concern me at all, he most likely would take a big paycut from the get go with what he has on the table.
        Ryan has family and roots in area. Has an 14 and 11 year old daughter that he wants to see go to school and graduate in South Dakota. He Has a lot of pride about South Dakota and south dAkota hoops.
        Ryan Miller gets paid $125,000 for his job so it would definitely be a raise.
        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
          Is it wrong that I hope the hire surprises State fans in a good way maybe by naming a coach nobody saw coming?
          There is nothing wrong with names thrown out there, (SDSU's next coach may be/probably is on the list) but I just feel that this needs to be a slam dunk (was going to say home run, but, you know) hire. I don't think we have to go down to DII or III to grab a coach. Not saying there are not phenomenal coaches at that level, because there are. I just want someone who is going to come in and hit the road running in DI and not have to go through a learning curve. We have a core group of players that should be top three or better of the conference. It would suck to waste it with the wrong hire. I trust Sell. I trust SDSU. I just feel like the timing of this puts us in a rush and hopefully down the line that doesn't force a hire, when if they took a bit more time a better name might have popped up.

That said, what are the terms of hiring a coach at SDSU... does it have to be posted for a certain time, etc....
          Unless state law has changed, the job has to be advertised for a certain period of time. Fred Oien told me that some time back and that was why they used selection committees to whittle down the applications to a workable list of 5 or 6 candidates. I have not seen anything about forming a committee so maybe procedures have changed and the AD has more discretion in hiring.

Comment

FWIT, here is the official press release from GoJacks. No mention of a committee or anything other than Klink is in charge.

http://www.gojacks.com/news/2016/4/4...all-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
              Ryan Miller gets paid $125,000 for his job so it would definitely be a raise.
              2 year contract 150k base +62,500 incentives. Not including camps. Mulling over a 300k deal at TCU

Comment

2 year contract 150k base +62,500 incentives. Not including camps. Mulling over a 300k deal at TCU
                That is definitely an enticing offer, however TCU is not exactly a basketball school. I was referencing the Nevada state employees website to get that information by the way.

http://transparentnevada.com/salarie...ryan-j-miller/
                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

I wish I could take credit for this, but I am taking it from a post on GoYotes.net

"Will there be a "Are you a 'call a timeout' at the end of the game kinda guy?" question on the application?"

USD Fan

Comment

Has there ever been a coach who HASN'T said they were committed to their current school before jumping ship a week or so later??

Sounds like Miller and the guy from UNI are favorites on the board at least. Personally, I won't discount Margenthaler, good pedigree IMO, he's a proven recruiter (see SDSU's body of work during his time here). With that said, I don't see Sell taking a DII "re-tread" (been here once before kind of guy). Sell will make his mark, be it a slam dunk or an air ball, with this hire.

Good luck to Sell and the front runners. I haven't followed MBB that closely over the past 13 years so I can't say I have a favorite in the mix. I appreciate Nagy and the time he spent at SDSU. Great coach, greater man.

Go Jacks!
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Why do I feel like you are shooting from the hip on most of your posts...especially posts involving numbers?
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Unless state law has changed, the job has to be advertised for a certain period of time. Fred Oien told me that some time back and that was why they used selection committees to whittle down the applications to a workable list of 5 or 6 candidates. I have not seen anything about forming a committee so maybe procedures have changed and the AD has more discretion in hiring.
                        This has changed over time to where at many schools, the AD works in connection with the President's office to recruit and sort through the pool. I think mostly because many coaches don't want their interest to become public knowledge. Often times a search firm is hired to do this, but in this case where signing day is a week away, there probably isn't time to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          Why do I feel like you are shooting from the hip on most of your posts...especially posts involving numbers?
                          definitely not shooting from the hip. Either the website your looking at is from 2014 or incorrect I'd have to do some digging on why it's low. And not shooting from the hip with tcu, Jamie Dixon has the green light right now and very rich school.

Comment

definitely not shooting from the hip. Either the website your looking at is from 2014 or incorrect I'd have to do some digging on why it's low. And not shooting from the hip with tcu, Jamie Dixon has the green light right now and very rich school.
                            Fair enough. I do appreciate your input on this topic. Always good to have new members join and be active.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              This has changed over time to where at many schools, the AD works in connection with the President's office to recruit and sort through the pool. I think mostly because many coaches don't want their interest to become public knowledge. Often times a search firm is hired to do this, but in this case where signing day is a week away, there probably isn't time to go that route.
                              HUH coaches don't want their interest to be public knowledge? Does not make sense. If you are applying for a public job, it is public knowledge. Obviously we are not operating under the same and procedures that we used to follow. Maybe state law has changed. But your post is does not make any sense. Why bother with the costs of a search firm when you got all kinds of volunteers to do this kind of work?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                                HUH coaches don't want their interest to be public knowledge? Does not make sense. If you are applying for a public job, it is public knowledge. Obviously we are not operating under the same and procedures that we used to follow. Maybe state law has changed. But your post is does not make any sense. Why bother with the costs of a search firm when you got all kinds of volunteers to do this kind of work?
                                Search firms can make contact with a coach's agent to gauge interest without having to go through official channels and ask a school's permission to talk with a coach. So they can find out if a coach is interested without anyone at his current school having any idea that he is shopping around.

Comment

Working...
                                X