Future of University Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of University Center

With enrollment dropping, the role of the University Center in Sioux Falls is being updated. The center is going to put more emphasis on preparing students with two-year, "workplace-ready" degrees. The change raises questions, such as "What is Southeast Tech in Sioux Falls going to do?" I don't know whether the state is making a good, smart move or pouring money down a rat hole. It will be interesting to see how the changes play out. SDSU, USD and DSU offer classes at the center.
    Last edited by Jacked_Up; 03-31-2016, 12:07 PM.
    This space for lease.

Re: Future of University Center

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    With enrollment dropping, the role of the University Center in Sioux Falls is being updated. The center is going to put more emphasis on preparing students with two-year, "workplace-ready" degrees. The change raises questions, such as "What is Southeast Tech in Sioux Falls going to do?" I don't know whether the state is making a good, smart move or pouring money down a rat hole. It will be interesting to see how the changes play out. SDSU, USD and DSU offer classes at the center.
    It kind of goes with the territory for higher education since they are generally considered counter-cyclical operations. When the economy sucks and there are no jobs, people further their education to get one. Now that Sioux Falls and S.D. have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation, those would-be students are now choosing to enter the workforce instead.

Comment

I thought I read somewhere in the last few weeks, USD was taking over the Administrative duties?

Comment

With enrollment dropping, the future of the University Center in Sioux Falls is being updated. The center is going to put more emphasis on preparing students with two-year, "workplace-ready" degrees. The change raises questions, such as "What is Southeast Tech in Sioux Falls going to do?" I don't know whether the state is making a smart move or pouring money down a rat hole. It will be interesting to see how the changes play out. SDSU, USD and DSU offer classes at the center.
        Took a few summer classes their while in college. i would think they could focus on a few of the "bigger or hot" degrees to focus on in sioux falls I am thinking nursing or a few of the flagship programs. with how so many master programs are offered online, probably limits the non trad or master students who use to take classes on campus. I assume most 18 year olds who want to go to college will still go the traditional on campus 4 year degree. Dont see UC in SF as a big draw unless your are taking just a few classes, live and or work in SF and dont want to go full time. Can you even complete a full 4 year degree with just taking classes through the UC?

I always figured that Southeast tech and killian and others would need to change to focus on more of the 2 year programs that business fields are seeing growth in. like trade skills and manufacturing and welding to name a few. plus I think society needs to change its views on those jobs. Seems like a lot of people dont want careers like that or think highly of them. When in fact many are very good professions and careers to go into and some can make a nice living with.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Killian and Colorado Tech are both closing after this year. That may help Southeast and UC as well.

Comment

And with USD grabbing the leadership position you can bet they will add the numbers to their overall headcount and soon declare themselves "the largest university in the state of South Dakota." Count on it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I thought I read somewhere in the last few weeks, USD was taking over the Administrative duties?
              The Board of Regents remains in charge. USD is taking over some secondary management duties, as I understand it.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
              X