Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Post-Season

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    on the Westwood 1 NCAA Selection Show Coach John Robinson suggested that Mid-Major one bid leagues drop their post season tournaments to prevent upsets that would keep the regular season champ out of the tournament.
    Or we might watch how many P5 teams go down in this round and pare that many P5 schools out of next year.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      Or we might watch how many P5 teams go down in this round and pare that many P5 schools out of next year.
      Expand the tournament to 96 teams.

Conference regular season champions get automatic bids.
      Conference tournament champions get automatic bids.

Committee seeds top 96 teams in country prior to conference tournaments. (Don't remember where I saw this seed-before-conference-tournament idea, but I like it a lot.)

(There is by happy coincidence exactly 32 D-I conferences right now. NCAA passes a rule to make it ever thus.)

Conference tournaments happen. Upsets occur. Unseeded teams knock out the bottom non-champion at-large teams (that don't win conference regular season or conference tournament) from the seed list.

Committee adds tournament champions not previously seeded to the bottom of the seed list.

First round played, the 64 non-regular-season winners--tournament upset champions and at-large teams. (This makes winning a conference regular season more valuable--gives regular season champion a first-round bye). Teams are seeded in order from the 96-team seed list (i.e. top seed plays bottom seed, etc.).

Second round matches a winner from the first round vs. a conference regular season champion. Games seeded as lowest seeded regular season champion plays winner of top first-round vs. bottom first-round game, etc..
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think they should allow all 351 teams in, like high school. Then everybody gets a NCAA participation ribbon. It's simple....if mid-majors want their regular season championship have more value then don't get upset in your league tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          I think they should allow all 351 teams in, like high school. Then everybody gets a NCAA participation ribbon. It's simple....if mid-majors want their regular season championship have more value then don't get upset in your league tournament.
          Of the 351 teams, how many are without a conference? Dang few so what would be the change?

Comment

I agree completely! After all if we take the madness away from March madness we are just left with March.

Comment

I think the tourney is perfect right now. 64 teams.

The P5 schools that don't get in don't have a damn thing to b*tch about. Those teams are pry hovering about .500 in their conference. Sure they have a "marquee" win or two because they get the Oklahoma's, Duke's, UNC's, Indiana's, etc. to come to their place to play. There would be many mid-majors with the same wins if they had the luxury. They pad their records in the non-conference portion of the season with home wins because they can.

Awful lot of P5 teams with double digit losses this year. Syracuse, Wisconsin, Pitt, Oregon St. just to name a few.

Comment

Holy Cross does not have a winning record. Its been over 50 years since they made an appearance and where something like 5-13 in their conference. They won the Patriot so they are in. I believe the great Boston Celtic Bob Cousy played for Holy Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Of the 351 teams, how many are without a conference? Dang few so what would be the change?
                  I was going for sarcasm...

Comment

I was going for sarcasm...
                    I can not do your thinking for you. You mentioned participation ribbons and everyone is already participating by being a conference member. That why I questioned what would change? I do agree with your mid major comment.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      I think the tourney is perfect right now. 64 teams.

The P5 schools that don't get in don't have a damn thing to b*tch about. Those teams are pry hovering about .500 in their conference. Sure they have a "marquee" win or two because they get the Oklahoma's, Duke's, UNC's, Indiana's, etc. to come to their place to play. There would be many mid-majors with the same wins if they had the luxury. They pad their records in the non-conference portion of the season with home wins because they can.

Awful lot of P5 teams with double digit losses this year. Syracuse, Wisconsin, Pitt, Oregon St. just to name a few.
                      I've noticed some teams (WBB) like Purdue,Minn, P-5 schools in general,hardly ever play on the road during their OOC part of their schedule too,got to give UConn and ND credit for playing anyone and agreeing to travel,as was the case with ND this year.I imagine they don't like those games to be close though.

Even though the P-5 teams in general would likely win most mid-major games,they don't schedule home and homes with them.That's nothing but cowardice in my opinion,not saying it's not smart,just saying it's spineless,and I have Zero respect for those programs that do this.I certainly am not sympathetic toward them that they can't get an at-large because they schedule nothing but cup cakes either,and then blame it on the red headed step child,the mid-majors,real class act there.

That said,that's the charm of the NCAA Tournament,and why people are drawn in and intrigued when little ole "who-the-hell -is- University" beats " Big-Bad A** U ".People get a kick out of that,I know I do.The tournament should hope and pray for Cinderella to make her appearance every year one would think,the bigger the upset,the better.If everything goes and reads like a script every year,it gets pretty boring to most casual fans who may tune in briefly once in awhile.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Holy Cross does not have a winning record. Its been over 50 years since they made an appearance and where something like 5-13 in their conference. They won the Patriot so they are in. I believe the great Boston Celtic Bob Cousy played for Holy Cross.
                        Actually they were in the ncaa tourney in 47,48,50,53,56,77,80,94,01,02,03,07. Their last win was 1953.

Comment

I dont think there are any without a conference anymore. NJIT was the last one without a conference and then they joined the Atlantic Sun

Comment

351 teams and with Louisville on post season ban that leaves 350. The bottom 190 get a play-in game on Tuesday night at the home of highest seeded team playing, that will leave 256 to play it out. It is only one extra weekend of Thursday thru Sunday like we have now which means we scrap the conference tournaments......it all gets done in the same time frame.

All seeding is done by RPI to take the work out of it. It gives the mid majors a chance to prove they should have had more than one bid and it gives the power 5 a chance to prove that all their teams were worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              Actually they were in the ncaa tourney in 47,48,50,53,56,77,80,94,01,02,03,07. Their last win was 1953.
                              Thanks for the correction. I did not know that they have done that much dancing.

Comment

IUPUI women won tonight in the WNIT against CMU. The Jags will host USD (San Diego) on Saturday.

WIU also won tonight against SIU in the WBI. They play at South Carolina Upstate on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X