Roger Nelson passes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Nelson passes

The Argus had the notice of Roger passing away yesterday. He was part of the USD championship basketball team in the 50's. He was a native of the Brookings area. He was a frequent visitor to ballgames everywhere in South Dakota. Roger was the 6'2" guy with a stocking hat and red shirt or jacket. He was a coach and official for many years in South Dakota. Roger was 80 and a member of the SD Hall of Fame.
    Roger was at the last USD/SDSU men's game. He had been in a wheelchair the past few games at Frost.
    http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...s-80/81013776/
    Last edited by OldHare; 02-27-2016, 10:23 AM.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: Roger Nelson passes

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    The Argus had the notice of Roger passing away yesterday. He was part of the USD championship basketball team in the 50's. He was a native of the Brookings area. He was a frequent visitor to ballgames everywhere in South Dakota. Roger was the 6'2" guy with a stocking hat and red shirt or jacket. He was a coach and official for many years in South Dakota. Roger was 80 and a member of the SD Hall of Fame.
    Roger was at the last USD/SDSU men's game. He had been in a wheelchair the past few games at Frost.
    http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...s-80/81013776/
    He was a great guy and a very gifted athlete. I recall the 1954 season at BHS, they won the ESD and choked in the first round Sectional game. Lost to the Flandreau Fliers who was one of the smallest Class A schools at that time. Roger never got an offer from SDSU and most likely explanation was he had kind of a bad boy reputation and this was mistaken as an outgoing personality. I don't think he was ever in trouble, mostly rumors around a smaller Brookings back then. Clodfelter, USD coach saw him in a more favorable light and gave him a chance. One the smartest moves USD ever made.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-28-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Re: Roger Nelson passes

Sad deal... he was Brad DeBeer's uncle and Matt Zimmer's great-uncle. Too many good people are going away this year.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
      X