Idaho and its Football Struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idaho and its Football Struggles

I know this topic has been beaten to death, both on this board and elsewhere, but in light of the situations in Las Cruces and Moscow, I thought it might be an interesting (or at least entertaining) discussion. I apologize if someone has already created a recent thread on this.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...e60594266.html

The Vandal's problems in FBS have been pretty well documented since their move up in the late 90's. They (along with New Mexico State) made their sales pitch this week to the Sun Belt to extend their football only membership past 2017. Both schools will need at least 9 "Yes" votes to stay in. The vote is on March 10th.

Does this have any impact on SDSU/NDSU/USD? There has been a lot of speculation (albeit mostly from message board talk coming out of Grand Forks) the last few years of the Big Sky breaking apart and realigning towards research focused universities. I.e., the Montana's, UND, Cal Davis, Cal Poly, ISU, and Idaho if they were to drop down.

With Idaho and NMSU on the verge of dropping to the FCS, does this potentially change the dynamic of conference alignment with two more Land Grant, research based universities in the west now playing the same level of football as all of the Dakotas and Montanas?

I, for one, love the Valley. It fits our recruiting footprint, alumni base, ability to travel to some away games, etc. It also happens to be the best FCS conference in the nation. What I dislike is the fact that all Jackrabbit sports aren't in the same conference.
    The Summit has become a great basketball conference, with a premier mid major tournament and an increasing RPI as a conference. Outside of the Dakota 3 though, do we really have other peer institutions in the Summit, and for that matter, the Valley?

Re: Idaho and its Football Struggles

I'd rather stay with the misfits in the Summit, which by the way is a much better basketball conference than the Big Sky, than move to the Big Sky simply to get all sports into the same conference and be with a few more state schools.

I think we are in pretty much a perfect fit right now between Summit/MVFC/Big 12 for our major sports. We have our conference basketball tourney locked up in our backyard for the foreseeable future, are in the best football conference in the FCS and have our wrestling program in the top 25.

The Big Sky is a disaster as far as fan following and student/athlete experience goes. You have games starting an hour or two later than they do now when going to the West Coast and pretty much have to fly for every game. We are much better off where we are IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      I'd rather stay with the misfits in the Summit, which by the way is a much better basketball conference than the Big Sky, than move to the Big Sky simply to get all sports into the same conference and be with a few more state schools.

I think we are in pretty much a perfect fit right now between Summit/MVFC/Big 12 for our major sports. We have our conference basketball tourney locked up in our backyard for the foreseeable future, are in the best football conference in the FCS and have our wrestling program in the top 25.

The Big Sky is a disaster as far as fan following and student/athlete experience goes. You have games starting an hour or two later than they do now when going to the West Coast and pretty much have to fly for every game. We are much better off where we are IMHO.
      Agree completely on basketball. I also have no interest in being with Cal Poly or Davis again, let alone Sac State, SUU, EWU, Weber, NAU, or PSU. But I won't deny that I think that IPFW, IUPUI, UMKC, etc. have not helped the image of the Summit nationally, no matter how competitive or not competitive those schools have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

What he said!

Comment

Just for an update, Idaho and New Mexico State have been kicked out of the Sunbelt Conference, effective after the conclusion of the 2017 football season. The vote was scheduled for the 10th, but there was a consensus among presidents already and the Sun Belt did not want to have this interfere with their basketball tournament coverage.

It will be interesting to see which path each school now chooses to take.

Comment

As of this morning, Idaho will officially be moving football from FBS to FCS, competing in the Big Sky by 2018. This will be interesting to see how this changes the current make up of the BSC, which now has 14 football members and no way of holding a conference championship game to decide the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              As of this morning, Idaho will officially be moving football from FBS to FCS, competing in the Big Sky by 2018. This will be interesting to see how this changes the current make up of the BSC, which now has 14 football members and no way of holding a conference championship game to decide the autobid.
              That could be handy time for the UND formerly Fighting Sioux to exit.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

http://footballscoop.com/news/idaho-...ico-state-too/

NDSU and SDSU mentioned in article...not in a million years.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  That could be handy time for the UND formerly Fighting Sioux to exit.
                  I think a good argument for Big Sky Travel costs for all their sports could be the reason that now baseball and men's golf are history at UND.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                    http://footballscoop.com/news/idaho-...ico-state-too/

NDSU and SDSU mentioned in article...not in a million years.
                    Agreed. No way either school would even consider getting into that mess. I have to wonder how long before the BSC begins to fracture. Bring in NMSU and your at 15. Something will need to give.

Comment

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/...a-bunch-or-new

Interesting reading. SDSU, NDSU and USD were all discussed in the Idaho consultant report. Not sure about USD, but it reads as if the consultant actually spoke to both SDSU and NDSU athletic departments.

In a related note. It was tweeted out earlier today that NMSU are going to play D1 FBS Independent in FB. Oh, and the HORIZON League are interested in having them join? As of now the Horizon schools are all in the Great Lakes region. An invite given to NMSU would seem to be odd and definitely out of character for the Horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/...a-bunch-or-new

Interesting reading. SDSU, NDSU and USD were all discussed in the Idaho consultant report. Not sure about USD, but it reads as if the consultant actually spoke to both SDSU and NDSU athletic departments.

In a related note. It was tweeted out earlier today that NMSU are going to play D1 FBS Independent in FB. Oh, and the HORIZON League are interested in having them join? As of now the Horizon schools are all in the Great Lakes region. An invite given to NMSU would seem to be odd and definitely out of character for the Horizon.
                        I don't see NMSU dropping out of FBS without a LOT of kicking and screaming from their fan base. I think they're pretty committed to being the "other" school in New Mexico, plus keeping up with the joneses in the (now bigger than 1 million CSA) El Paso metro area, competing with UTEP. Their geography works against them conference-wise . . . on the other hand, I've been hearing people floating Boise State again lately for the Big 12, so who knows?

NMSU also sees itself as a really good basketball school, too, so it's possible Horizon would appeal to it. Can't imagine the other Horizon schools being terribly excited about going cross-country like that though. Again, who knows?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          I don't see NMSU dropping out of FBS without a LOT of kicking and screaming from their fan base. I think they're pretty committed to being the "other" school in New Mexico, plus keeping up with the joneses in the (now bigger than 1 million CSA) El Paso metro area, competing with UTEP. Their geography works against them conference-wise . . . on the other hand, I've been hearing people floating Boise State again lately for the Big 12, so who knows?

NMSU also sees itself as a really good basketball school, too, so it's possible Horizon would appeal to it. Can't imagine the other Horizon schools being terribly excited about going cross-country like that though. Again, who knows?
                          Pure speculation, but if the Horizon could partner Wichita State with New Mexico State, it would make more geographic sense and would certainly up the conference profile.
                          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                            Pure speculation, but if the Horizon could partner Wichita State with New Mexico State, it would make more geographic sense and would certainly up the conference profile.
                            Wichita State leaving the MVC would certainly downgrade that conference. UNI would be the only "power" left. It could be the definition of low mid major.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                              Wichita State has their eyes set on something bigger than the MVC not on going downhill to the Horizon. WSU would like the Big East (but they are all private colleges) or the Atlantic 10 or basketball only in the MWC for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X