Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alcohol Sales at SDSU

http://thesportjournal.org/article/b...alcohol-sales/

This is a good article to read. Talks about pros and cons. Of particular importance to me is the argument being made that alcohol sales will increase bad behavior at games. This article cites two universities that saw dramatic drops in arrests made in their first years of in stadium sales. The two universities are Minnesota and WVU.

I also found the bit about Colorado state and the "Napa Valley of beer" an interesting point. This is getting way out there, but I could imagine that if this goes through, you could someday see Wooden Legs brewing with a beer or two on tap in the stadium, and maybe even some from SF or Crow Peak in Spearfish. Like I said: Do it, do it responsibly, and turn it into something unique.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      This is ridiculous. The only people who will be buying alcohol under the proposed change are the ones currently sneaking alcohol into games? Seriously??

DUI (criminal behavior) is over .08 BAC. That is not falling down drunk, and it isn't hard to do by drinking then driving (I assume you mean waiting for 2 quarters of football before getting behind the wheel).

I expect alcohol consumption will increase, and negative behaviors associated with alcohol consumption will also increase. I think that is a realistic expectation.

Its not like I'm some kind of teetotaler completely against alcohol, I almost always drink at SDSU football tailgates (sometimes way too much). I RARELY drank at SDSU games until tailgating started. I have VERY RARELY had a drink inside CAS. I will buy beers in the Dykhouse.
      I honestly think there are probably more people in agreement with your point of view than you may think. Most of them are mostly likely the business folks still left on Main Ave. who often find themselves cleaning up after "those damn college kids". That's a four word phrase heard often over the years. I don't like to hear that phrase but its often used. There may be a silent majority that are not part of the process, and what they say and think does not change what is going forward. I think Mr. Jones obviously wanted to influence opinion on this matter, otherwise he would not have taken the time to compose his opinion piece. I don't think the legislators from the Brookings area are in opposition nor if there are others across the state, we have not heard from them.

Comment

Harry Jones also wrote a strong letter to "Brookings citizens" saying the city should not share in SDSU's fund drive to finish the theater side of the PAC. I was ticked, and so were a lot of other people, and the city responded by approving the $6 million share requested of the city. Jones may have well had problems with students drinking...but I believe most of that happened when 3.2 beer was legal, and so students flooded downtown (think Hort's). When it disappeared, they moved most of their heavy drinking to rented houses all of the city. And like all other businesses in Brookings, they have benefited from the 1800 employes of the university. His letter on alcohol sales did, as pointed out earlier by other posters, show a lack of understanding of what is actually involved. IMO, just like the city's response to the PAC situation, I believe Jones' letter will have no impact on the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Harry Jones also wrote a strong letter to "Brookings citizens" saying the city should not share in SDSU's fund drive to finish the theater side of the PAC. I was ticked, and so were a lot of other people, and the city responded by approving the $6 million share requested of the city. Jones may have well had problems with students drinking...but I believe most of that happened when 3.2 beer was legal, and so students flooded downtown (think Hort's). When it disappeared, they moved most of their heavy drinking to rented houses all of the city. And like all other businesses in Brookings, they have benefited from the 1800 employes of the university. His letter on alcohol sales did, as pointed out earlier by other posters, show a lack of understanding of what is actually involved. IMO, just like the city's response to the PAC situation, I believe Jones' letter will have no impact on the legislation.
          Saturday is about the only day I read The Brookings Register and I enjoy the opinion page. Reading Harry's Speakout was indeed very interesting and something I thought the board would enjoy, so after checking with one of the moderators, I decided to type it verbatim since the Register does not put the opinion page on line. Now that you mention it, it might have been more problems back in the 3.2 days as Jones's Coast to Coast store took up more than one place of business and yes I can see often display cases being broken. I think we are in agreement that Harry opinion piece tended to bite the hand that fed the mouth, apartment rentals and retail hardware sales.

I don't suppose you remember William Rumple and Omar Doop, frequent writers to editor about school reorganiziton several decades back. I don't think either of these gentlemen would approve alcohol sales at the new stadium either, but I digress.

Comment

Updated Argus story.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...yone/86243202/

Comment

Working...
            X