X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alcohol Sales at SDSU

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I'll simplify it for everyone.

Argument for alcohol sales: increased revenue.

Argument against alcohol sales: increased criminal behavior.

I would love to hear an argument from either side that doesn't boil down to those two things. IMO, both arguments are correct. From there your opinion is probably based on personal morals and/or the degree to which alcohol has negatively impacted your personal life.
    I thinking that you are putting it in a historic perspective when you say no alcohol sales equals more criminal behavior. If you consider the Volstad Act or prohibition, this would support what you say. Speak-easy joints and bootleg liquor certainly did create criminal behavior. If the BOR does not approve the current policy under consideration, I don't think we will see a big increase in illegal smuggling of booze into the stadium. Its going on right now, I don't see any change. Maybe I am not following your argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      And just how do you do a Pub Crawl right? Does it involve telling the police to take the night off? I like to hear how is it is done right. Sounds to me to be binge drinking and not social drinking.
      Embrace it. Close down the block of main street with the majority of the bars and turn it into a festival, bring in extra enforcement to help. Why would it involve telling the police to take the night off? Yes, it is binge drinking, sorry that it's not a few quiet, mild mannered chaps around a table having a couple cocktails and some good old fashioned fun. Should we close down Mardi Gras too? And New Year's Eve? I mean honestly... just because some people can't handle drinking doesn't mean others can't.

Comment

Uh, he specifically talks about property damage and/or vandalism. He has experienced quite a bit of it, apparently. It sounds like he owned several downtown properties over a period of 40 years, with one case adding up to $8000. It is likely that this man you so quickly dismiss as old fashioned has spent $50,000 or more repairing damage done as a result of alcohol - not counting his time. Is it any wonder he holds the opinion that he does?

I would love to hear how many thousands of dollars and late nights have you spent cleaning up after harmless drunks?

The ship has sailed, the horse has left the barn, alcohol sales at SDSU games is happening. But anyone who pretends that there aren't 2 valid sides to this issue is being pretty closed minded, IMO.
        Those things will happen regardless. You think the people that drink way too much and act like an idiot and vandalize aren't drinking right now because alcohol isn't allowed on campus? No, those people will find a way to drink no matter what. The notion that allowing alcohol sales will lead to a spike in crime and vandalism is IMO unrooted fear. Like I said, idiots will be idiots regardless of whether you allow them to buy the alcohol from you and profit from it, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I thinking that you are putting it in a historic perspective when you say no alcohol sales equals more criminal behavior. If you consider the Volstad Act or prohibition, this would support what you say. Speak-easy joints and bootleg liquor certainly did create criminal behavior. If the BOR does not approve the current policy under consideration, I don't think we will see a big increase in illegal smuggling of booze into the stadium. Its going on right now, I don't see any change. Maybe I am not following your argument.
          DUI is criminal behavior.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            Those things will happen regardless. You think the people that drink way too much and act like an idiot and vandalize aren't drinking right now because alcohol isn't allowed on campus? No, those people will find a way to drink no matter what. The notion that allowing alcohol sales will lead to a spike in crime and vandalism is IMO unrooted fear. Like I said, idiots will be idiots regardless of whether you allow them to buy the alcohol from you and profit from it, or not.
            Please explain the property damage Mr. Jones described in his letter to the editor. Was he lying? Is that kind of damage common in other parts of Brookings?

Would you support checkpoints if they don't impede the flow of traffic? I bet we could generate a lot of revenue... from the idiots, of course... I wonder what impact regular gameday checkpoints would have on alcohol revenue.

Like I said, its happening. I don't have a strong opinion on that, but there are two valid sides to this argument, IMO.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

DUI is criminal behavior.
              Oh yes it is and there are two sides to this issue. I know of only one person who would agree with Mr. Jones who is a booster and fan. Then again I have not discuss it with a representative sample. I am sure there are people who agree with Harry Jones.

Comment

Please explain the property damage Mr. Jones described in his letter to the editor. Was he lying? Is that kind of damage common in other parts of Brookings?

Would you support checkpoints if they don't impede the flow of traffic? I bet we could generate a lot of revenue... from the idiots, of course... I wonder what impact regular gameday checkpoints would have on alcohol revenue.

Like I said, its happening. I don't have a strong opinion on that, but there are two valid sides to this argument, IMO.
                If you own a business near a bar area, you are going to have these things happen over the course of 40 years, it's the cost of doing business. If he is saying that selling alcohol on campus will turn campus into a "bar scene", I think he is completely incorrect. As he mentioned, these things usually happened after 2 a.m., when people had been drinking all night and it was dark and not many people were around. The fact that he is (and perhaps you are) thinking that campus will turn into this drunken rage where people are vandalizing, driving drunk all over the place, and committing all sorts of crime, just because they start to serve alcohol at games and other events is a joke.

Comment

If you own a business near a bar area, you are going to have these things happen over the course of 40 years, it's the cost of doing business. If he is saying that selling alcohol on campus will turn campus into a "bar scene", I think he is completely incorrect. As he mentioned, these things usually happened after 2 a.m., when people had been drinking all night and it was dark and not many people were around. The fact that he is (and perhaps you are) thinking that campus will turn into this drunken rage where people are vandalizing, driving drunk all over the place, and committing all sorts of crime, just because they start to serve alcohol at games and other events is a joke.
                  I don't think it will turn into a drunken bar scene. Are you honestly arguing that the amount of drunk driving around CAS hasn't increased since tailgating has been allowed/encouraged? Do you think the number of arrests has increased, decreased, or stayed the same since alcohol/tailgating have been encouraged at games? Is that change due to increased police presence, or an increase in actual criminal behavior?

Right now, there is a certain amount of alcohol consumed after kickoff. At some point in the near future, the amount of alcohol consumed after kickoff will increase. Do you honestly think drunk driving won't increase, even a little?

You don't have to be "driving drunk all over the place" (whatever that is) to commit DUI.

Comment

I don't think it will turn into a drunken bar scene. Are you honestly arguing that the amount of drunk driving around CAS hasn't increased since tailgating has been allowed/encouraged? Do you think the number of arrests has increased, decreased, or stayed the same since alcohol/tailgating have been encouraged at games? Is that change due to increased police presence, or an increase in actual criminal behavior?

Right now, there is a certain amount of alcohol consumed after kickoff. At some point in the near future, the amount of alcohol consumed after kickoff will increase. Do you honestly think drunk driving won't increase, even a little?

You don't have to be "driving drunk all over the place" (whatever that is) to commit DUI.
                    If your big argument is drunk driving, I hope you realize that there is a difference between DRINKING THEN driving and DRUNK driving. I'm not saying that their aren't either of those two things going on. I'm saying that by allowing the sale of alcohol, I don't believe that we will start to see a big up tick in the number of DUI arrests and accidents happening. Again, if people really want to drink that much, they are going to do it regardless of whether or not you're selling it, so you might as well sell it and profit off of it.

Comment

I'll simplify it for everyone.

Argument for alcohol sales: increased revenue.

Argument against alcohol sales: increased criminal behavior.

I would love to hear an argument from either side that doesn't boil down to those two things. IMO, both arguments are correct. From there your opinion is probably based on personal morals and/or the degree to which alcohol has negatively impacted your personal life.
                      Argument for: If there is a policy that can be implemented responsibly that will enhance gameday in any way, shape, or form, Brookings and SDSU need to do it. If we want to see increased attendence, progressive policies like this need to be embraced. It's all about increasing the fan experience. Same goes for a gameday shuttle service from downtown to the stadium, increased tailgating activities, band playing in the backyard, etc. This is just a piece of that, and in my opinion, it would be foolish to not be doing everything in our power to create the best gameday experience at Brookings possible. And that includes alcohol in the stadium for those who want to purchase it.

Argument against: None. I'll see if I can find the articles, but there have been several studies done to show that the amount of alcohol related issues during gamedays has decreased when alcohol is available in the stadium for purchase. Point being is that when people know they can get it inside the stadium, they are less likely to binge and go overboard during tailgating. This doesn't touch on the drunk driving issue, but if your concern is with the experience in the stadium with alcohol now available, that should not be a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        Argument for: If there is a policy that can be implemented responsibly that will enhance gameday in any way, shape, or form, Brookings and SDSU need to do it. If we want to see increased attendence, progressive policies like this need to be embraced. It's all about increasing the fan experience. Same goes for a gameday shuttle service from downtown to the stadium, increased tailgating activities, band playing in the backyard, etc. This is just a piece of that, and in my opinion, it would be foolish to not be doing everything in our power to create the best gameday experience at Brookings possible. And that includes alcohol in the stadium for those who want to purchase it.

Argument against: None. I'll see if I can find the articles, but there have been several studies done to show that the amount of alcohol related issues during gamedays has decreased when alcohol is available in the stadium for purchase. Point being is that when people know they can get it inside the stadium, they are less likely to binge and go overboard during tailgating. This doesn't touch on the drunk driving issue, but if your concern is with the experience in the stadium with alcohol now available, that should not be a concern.
                        Preach.

Comment

If your big argument is drunk driving, I hope you realize that there is a difference between DRINKING THEN driving and DRUNK driving. I'm not saying that their aren't either of those two things going on. I'm saying that by allowing the sale of alcohol, I don't believe that we will start to see a big up tick in the number of DUI arrests and accidents happening. Again, if people really want to drink that much, they are going to do it regardless of whether or not you're selling it, so you might as well sell it and profit off of it.
                          This is ridiculous. The only people who will be buying alcohol under the proposed change are the ones currently sneaking alcohol into games? Seriously??

DUI (criminal behavior) is over .08 BAC. That is not falling down drunk, and it isn't hard to do by drinking then driving (I assume you mean waiting for 2 quarters of football before getting behind the wheel).

I expect alcohol consumption will increase, and negative behaviors associated with alcohol consumption will also increase. I think that is a realistic expectation.

Its not like I'm some kind of teetotaler completely against alcohol, I almost always drink at SDSU football tailgates (sometimes way too much). I RARELY drank at SDSU games until tailgating started. I have VERY RARELY had a drink inside CAS. I will buy beers in the Dykhouse.

Comment

This is ridiculous. The only people who will be buying alcohol under the proposed change are the ones currently sneaking alcohol into games? Seriously??
                            Lol, I did not say that at all.

Comment

DUI (criminal behavior) is over .08 BAC. That is not falling down drunk, and it isn't hard to do by drinking then driving (I assume you mean waiting for 2 quarters of football before getting behind the wheel).

I expect alcohol consumption will increase, and negative behaviors associated with alcohol consumption will also increase. I think that is a realistic expectation.

Its not like I'm some kind of teetotaler completely against alcohol, I almost always drink at SDSU football tailgates (sometimes way too much). I RARELY drank at SDSU games until tailgating started. I have VERY RARELY had a drink inside CAS. I will buy beers in the Dykhouse.

You are entitled to your opinion, and there's nothing to say that you are completely off base, but the reason that most of the universities that have gone ahead with this policy decided in favor of it is because the data has shown that alcohol related incidences at game days decrease if people are allowed to purchase it inside the stadium. See my earlier post. No reason to beleive SDSU bucks that trend.

Comment

I have no strong feeling either way -- I don't care if they keep current policy or change policy to allow alcohol sales.* One potential issue may be: Will some fans be discouraged from attending or bringing young kids if alcohol is sold in the stadium?

*One of the small pleasures I enjoy when attending the Summit Tourney is having a beer while watching good basketball games.

Comment

Working...
                                X