Alcohol Sales at SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Sales at SDSU

I looked for a thread relating to this topic but did not find any. I do recall making comments on this topic and it might have been part of the lengthy thread about the new stadium. I don't have any news relating to this topic.
    The Brookings Register published today (Feb 13, 2016); on their Opinion Page a Speakout by Harry Jones, a long time downtown businessman and a graduate of SDSU, Class of 1956. There are no links available at the Register site for the opinion page so I type it verbatim giving credit to the author and the source.
    Alcohol sales on campus a bad idea:
    Mr. Jones stated the following:
    I have been reading with a great deal of interest, the issue of beer and wine sales on campus. Apparently, I’m in the minority, as I see no other negative reactions to this proposal.
    I’d like to share with you the social evolution as I’ve observed it. To go back to a few decades, the early 1950’s to be specific; all dormitory residents were subject to bed checks. I was a resident assistant for three years and all occupants had to be in by 10:30 p.m. on week nights and 12:30 a.m. on weekends.
    To roll ahead to the 1960’s and beyond, we had four buildings on Main Avenue that included seven second story apartments. I tried to monitor the “boy-girl” thing until co-ed dorms became fashionable. At that juncture, I just threw up my hands and declared, “have at it kids”. Eventually a 2 a.m. dormitory visitation ruling was established and later a 24 hour status. What can I say?
    Back to the liquor issue, during my 40 years on Main Avenue there were numerous occasions, usually after 2 a.m. when the bars had closed, I’d get a call from the police department, informing me that I had another broken display window.
    It would then become my job to locate lumber to board up the area until the glass company could replace it. Generally the offender could not be located, so it just became another cost of operation. Glass breakage insurance in my area was so expensive that I could lose one window a year and still be money ahead. In the meantime all of those involved in distribution and resale, smiled all the way to the bank.
    I recall one specific incident when an out of control pick up hit the corner of one building, doing $8,000 damage. It was 20 degrees below zero and I worked until 6 a.m. making temporary repairs.
    My point is that our society is continuing to expand the envelope by being more and more permissive. It is extremely obvious to me that the primary argument in favor of expanding the sale of beer and wine is the profit that will be generated.
    It is a sad situation when individuals can’t get along, on campus, for a few hours without a drink, especially at athletic events, where emotions usually run high anyway. Liquor just pours fuel on the fire.
    Now, let’s address the issue of individuals leaving an event and getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. In a worst-case scenario, there is an accident resulting in a death.
    Now how much is that life worth in terms of the profit made off that sale? The proponents should have that on their conscience for the rest of their lives.
    I would also assume that additional policing staff would be required.
    In conclusion, the thought and argument favoring this proposed policy is the fact that “many other universities are doing it.”
    Tell me why we should lower ourselves and our values to their level?

Re: Alcohol Sales at SDSU

Mr. Jones thoughts on this subject were thought out and express in a thoughtful manner,but I don't agree with him in that he seemed to single out over a span of 40 years students and their drinking. I thought he was biting the hand that feeds the mouth namely college rentals on Main Ave. Don't the regular townies or residents of Brookings drink? I think they do and they create the exact same problems that students do when they don't drink responsibly. Other wise Mr. Jones thoughts are things we have to consider. My understanding that the Club Room would be available for private parties such as wedding receptions and banquets so to not have alcohol seems to be a little backward.

As someone who has not touched spirited beverages in over 40 years, I recognize that AD Sells does have bills to pay. It’s a legitimate concern. I can not have a single beer as it would lead to another and another. It’s a poison to me, but does everyone have this problem? Most of you don't and would be classified social drinkers, and you are the target for these beverages sales. I do think, these laws governing state assisted schools need to be reviewed and updated. I grew up in Brookings that during my college student days 1959-65, Brookings was a pure 3.2 beer town with a city owned liquor store. I read in one of the history books of SDSU, authored by Howard Kramer that the Lutheran Church in the 1920's had a big influence on law makers and hoards wanted no liquor and for God's sake no dancing on campus. I think some of the hangover from that thinking still lingers today. I don't suppose morally, dancing is a problem for current student’s, they just don't have formal on campus dances like we did at the Union in the 1960's. Instead they go downtown and dance their fool heads away. Hobo Day dances apparently have disappeared completely due to lack of interest. At least that is my guess.

I recall a Union conversation in the 1960's about how they served beer at the Union in Madison Wisconsin. I just could not picture that at SDSU, given all the people who opposed drinking, but most of these folks have long departed and we seem to have a different outlook in general about personal morals.

If everyone acts responsible manner and is answerable for their actions, then I say go for it.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-14-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The way I see it is their is already drinking for sporting events and tailgating. Students drink In the dorms all the time. Seems like there is an oppertunity to increase profits. People are going to drink regardless if sdsu is the one serving it or not. Most will be responsible and it will only be a positive but there might always be a few bad apples that take it too far. That's why I say go for it.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        The way I see it is their is already drinking for sporting events and tailgating. Students drink In the dorms all the time. Seems like there is an oppertunity to increase profits. People are going to drink regardless if sdsu is the one serving it or not. Most will be responsible and it will only be a positive but there might always be a few bad apples that take it too far. That's why I say go for it.
        As one who has crossed the social drinker line into the world of problem drinker, the world is polluted with drinks and drinking to the point that I have to deal that with on a daily basis. Its gotten better forty three years later. Interesting that Budwieser now recommends drinking in responsible manner. They are the one who finds themselves smiling on their way to the bank as noted by Mr. Jones. I hope those who drink and tailgate do that in a responsible manner as I would not want to end my life by someone t-boning my car on the way home from a football game. In that sense I find my self in agreement with Mr. Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          As one who has crossed the social drinker line into the world of problem drinker, the world is polluted with drinks and drinking to the point that I have to deal that with on a daily basis. Its gotten better forty three years later. Interesting that Budwieser now recommends drinking in responsible manner. They are the one who finds themselves smiling on their way to the bank as noted by Mr. Jones. I hope those who drink and tailgate do that in a responsible manner as I would not want to end my life by someone t-boning my car on the way home from a football game. In that sense I find my self in agreement with Mr. Jones.
          Sadly that could happen regardless of the event or sdsu. Same thing with the summit league tourny. Those all session passes and depending who plays the late game. There can be a lot of not responsible people. On the same hand driving home from the game that could happen with any car on the road doesn't matter its from a sporting event.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

The point of the bill that has been proposed in the legislature is to allow the use of spaces on campus, specifically the new club room in the stadium and the upgraded PAC, which will be receiving funds from the City of Brookings, for events that require the sale of wine and beer. Examples include city sponsored functions, other private functions, including rental of said spaces, and SDSU events where wine and beer are currently sold, but the events take place off campus, such as the Swiftel. This bill has nothing to do with putting beer and wine on sale in the Union or allowing kegs in the dorms or anything.

The writer of the letter to the editor has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the bill is intended to do.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              The point of the bill that has been proposed in the legislature is to allow the use of spaces on campus, specifically the new club room in the stadium and the upgraded PAC, which will be receiving funds from the City of Brookings, for events that require the sale of wine and beer. Examples include city sponsored functions, other private functions, including rental of said spaces, and SDSU events where wine and beer are currently sold, but the events take place off campus, such as the Swiftel. This bill has nothing to do with putting beer and wine on sale in the Union or allowing kegs in the dorms or anything.

The writer of the article has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the bill is intended to do.
              Also Mr. Jones seemed to have forgotten that SDSU has had about 10 years experience with tailgating without any serious incidents. I mentioned the Union at UW since that has been going on for decades. Thanks for explaining what is going on in terms of the current legislation. Mr. Jones stated that he was in the minority and that seems to be the case here.

Comment

Goon is right. This is all about the new stadium and the spaces it creates. Can you imagine how many wedding receptions would pass on a venue with no option for beer and wine?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  Goon is right. This is all about the new stadium and the spaces it creates. Can you imagine how many wedding receptions would pass on a venue with no option for beer and wine?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                  A bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Sadly that could happen regardless of the event or sdsu. Same thing with the summit league tourny. Those all session passes and depending who plays the late game. There can be a lot of not responsible people. On the same hand driving home from the game that could happen with any car on the road doesn't matter its from a sporting event.
                    Your points are well taken. I risk a T-bone accident right here in little Arlington. It seems the mortician is determined to get more business so his son piled the snow from the parking lot in a huge pile that blocks my view from the left when pulling a way from a stop sign. No alcohol involved but its a hazard.

I have been totally surprised with the traffic exiting the big games at CAS for the last ten years. No fender benders or bad accidents that I am aware of, and possibly some of those driving might not be totally within the law.

Comment

I was going to type up a long response in regards to Mr. Jones' statements, but it's not worth my time. It would be one thing if he was bringing up valid points on why alcohol shouldn't be aloud on campus, but it's just a historical rant that mostly has nothing to do with the current state of alcohol consumption and laws. It's thinking like this that holds not just SDSU, but Brookings back at times, acting like our college and town is to be held to a higher standard of morals and that alcohol is the devil. Take pub crawl for example... It could be a huge event that brings in a lot of dollars and general interest in the town, but they are scared of it, so they try to get rid of it. If you do it right, it could be a huge success. Embrace the present and future, Brookings. Stop living in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        I was going to type up a long response in regards to Mr. Jones' statements, but it's not worth my time. It would be one thing if he was bringing up valid points on why alcohol shouldn't be aloud on campus, but it's just a historical rant that mostly has nothing to do with the current state of alcohol consumption and laws. It's thinking like this that holds not just SDSU, but Brookings back at times, acting like our college and town is to be held to a higher standard of morals and that alcohol is the devil. Take pub crawl for example... It could be a huge event that brings in a lot of dollars and general interest in the town, but they are scared of it, so they try to get rid of it. If you do it right, it could be a huge success. Embrace the present and future, Brookings. Stop living in the past.
                        Compared to when I was on campus starting in 2000, it has come a long way I think. Hearing stories about some of the issues with the town aside from SDSU was interesting. They seemed to be afraid to bring in new industries, but now they embrace it. And the relationship with SDSU I think is growing a little stronger all the time.

Comment

And just how do you do a Pub Crawl right? Does it involve telling the police to take the night off? I like to hear how is it is done right. Sounds to me to be binge drinking and not social drinking.

Comment

I'll simplify it for everyone.

Argument for alcohol sales: increased revenue.

Argument against alcohol sales: increased criminal behavior.

I would love to hear an argument from either side that doesn't boil down to those two things. IMO, both arguments are correct. From there your opinion is probably based on personal morals and/or the degree to which alcohol has negatively impacted your personal life.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Uh, he specifically talks about property damage and/or vandalism. He has experienced quite a bit of it, apparently. It sounds like he owned several downtown properties over a period of 40 years, with one case adding up to $8000. It is likely that this man you so quickly dismiss as old fashioned has spent $50,000 or more repairing damage done as a result of alcohol - not counting his time. Is it any wonder he holds the opinion that he does?

I would love to hear how many thousands of dollars and late nights have you spent cleaning up after harmless drunks?

The ship has sailed, the horse has left the barn, alcohol sales at SDSU games is happening. But anyone who pretends that there aren't 2 valid sides to this issue is being pretty closed minded, IMO.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X